Best method for terpene extraction

I’ve used steam and microwaves and CO2 machines all with results that just don’t smell like my high terpene extracts made with hydrocarbon.

How many of you have used deep vac distillation to pull terps?

Thinking of making a reactor with some cold traps and slapping on a turbo molecular and doing some r&d

4 Likes

I have a mechanical cold trap I’ve been wanting to use for the very same thing… to many projects in the pipeline

5 Likes

I’ve used them with vac ovens etc but I want to pull the terps off of 20-100 lbs of material at time

4 Likes

Steam or co2 seems to be the choices

1 Like

Not happy with either methods end products

5 Likes

U did steam wrong… Are you sure u did it right

Bc steam the most flavorful ones I ever gotten

Co2 more like live plant or live resin

4 Likes

Then everyone who does it that I’ve sampled does it wrong as well.

I can taste the heat changing and degrading the terps.

It just doesn’t taste like HTE made with pane and tane

7 Likes

No one ever said it tasted like hte made w tane or pane though

Yes sir hte is the best. Can’t beat tane pane mix ran dry ice cold .

I’ve yet to see anything like hte but hte

Maybe hemp hte can get the prices down if they can do that. Some great strains this year

9 Likes

Best? Really?

1 Like

Ive had high quality results with some of my experiments that are based around the freeze, pump, thaw degassing method.

Ive been talking about using propane as a stripping gas for a while now, gotta nut up about it sooner or later. Other wise inert gas’s have worked well. GW Pharm’s hot gas extraction patent has some good info: WO2002089945A2 - Processes and apparatus for extraction of active substances and enriched extracts from natural products - Google Patents

3 Likes

Hte is better than em all…and I prefer my blends over anything else now.

But some the strongest ones were steam

4 Likes

I’ve always wondered how running a hot solvent vapor would work for terp extraction. Basically just distill your solvent through a packed material column, then recover the solvent with as low of a temp as possible.

Edit: I also imagine you’d want a jacketed column that you could heat too.

4 Likes

Y’all mean like @Apothecary36’s pentane steam distillation Tek:

Pentane steam terps tek

Really want to try this one still, I bet it works fucking great

4 Likes

Yep, exactly like that. I just harvested and am getting ready to do a run soon. Imma try it.

2 Likes

I wonder if DME would work well for that application as well. Or chloroform maybe. I feel like pentane might still be too close in properties to a lot of our desirable compounds than is ideal (then again that’s probably why “steam” distillation works well with them)

2 Likes

As in similar a similar boiling point? So the goodies would come out with the pentane during solvent removal?

And isn’t that mz12 crap DME?

Right, likely to lose the goods while purging the solvent. I had never heard of it being pitched as a butane alternative till you said that lol.

I thought DME was immiscible with water but I must have been mistaken, I imagine that’s a useful property for this method to allow using fresh frozen/fresh material.

From google:

Diethyl ether is miscible with water only in small amounts (up to 6% or so).”

If I’m off base here correct me haha. Not a scientist by any means.

Google again in regards to DME:
“Dimethyl ether (DME) is a synthetically produced alternative to diesel for use in specially designed compression ignition diesel engines.”

1 Like

Perfect! Must have been thinking of diethyl ether. Maybe @Swet254k can give it a try, I hear he has a barrel of the stuff

1 Like

Sent in a sample to get tested, I wanna see what’s in my “terps” I’ll share results when I get them.

1 Like