Best Icewater Hash System on the market?

That’s the beauty of plastics, a jacket is not needed since the shell itself is an insulator. The most efficient way to wash is to pre-chill your water, and for that a heat exchanger is key. Chilling water in your wash vessel is a waste of resources. Thus using a jacketed wash vessel is just more expense. In our system you end up pretty close to the starting temp at the end of your wash cycle, no chiller or jacket needed.

2 Likes

Anyone ever try hitting things with a pressure washer?

Instead of agitation in a vat through a screen, couldn’t we get two birds stoned at once and just blast these trichomes?

2 Likes

A more gentle sieving process makes a higher quality hash.

3 Likes

Maybe some kind of pressure vessel with the screens and recirculating water.

Some blasting, but not too blasty. Ice cubes to tumble.

Have you seen static tech? We aren’t gentle at all to trichomes in that process. From our data the whole gentle on the trichome debate is dead. I do agree you need to be gentle on the biomass to prevent contaminants. However, that point is almost dead since we can remove 98% of contaminants through a continuous pressurized filtration process which removes trichomes in real-time, followed by cleanup through static tech, etc…

3 Likes

Oh, heh.

Guess that’s what you already make :stuck_out_tongue: lol

1 Like

Any experience using vibratory mixers for agitation?

Just picked up this 150 gallon tank today… hoping to start piecing some stuff together for an ice hash setup

7 Likes

We just bought an Osprey. I don’t use bags during agitation though. Only to filter afterward, so I wouldn’t worry too much about ripping the bags due to them being square instead of round. Maybe I’m missing something there though.

That 150 mixing bowl is exactly what I consider ideal as like the ‘max size’ for tool assisted handwashing. Been looking for one, myself. Excellent find, bro! Fucking GNARLY!!!

2 Likes

Your process “as is” scales up to that batch size you think?

2 Likes

From what we have seen on the field, any system with an agitator has the potential to damage those cube bags and should be avoided. Also, the bags if overfilled will decrease your yields. I dislike them so I’m biased BTW.

1 Like

With some adjustments absolutely. Pretty sure I’d maintain all quality and maybe add to it with some creative modifications with a MIG welder, a plasma cutter, heavy duty stainless screen - probably 220 micron and a badass pump. I need to do more research into pump types to see which I think would beat the trichs up less. Also bigger mixing mechanism (aka drill if you’re an asshole).

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree. I was trying to say you don’t really have to use bags during agitation. Not having them leaves more of a mess to clean up afterward, but I’m alright with that.

Yeah, definitely cubes make clean-up easier but have their drawbacks. Washing loose is best to get the necessary fluid dynamics that the system was designed for. We just use tank liner bags which makes it easier and faster to clean. Of course, you can’t do that if the agitator is attached to the tank. It makes clean-up a bit more labor-intensive and the system less productive overall, but no biggie. I have seen people placing a screen or whatever over the agitator so they can accommodate a bag. I don’t like the idea because it completely changes the fluid dynamics of the system. I believe in that case you are trading the ease of cleanup for worse yields. I’m not sold on the idea.

I said what I said about bubble bags.

Well every system is different, I don’t think jackets are totally superfluous or have no place on stainless equipment. A jacket certainly helps maintain temperatures and keep things as chilly as possible with as little ice as possible. We can agree prechilling is the best and that using a jacket to do the bulk of the chilling is a bad idea. I still contest the idea that plastic is the best to wash in. Idk if you were suggesting that, seems most of sambo’s gear is stainless if my memory serves me right.

At green machine?

1 Like

When I talk about live rosin yield I mean return % from wpff to live rosin 73u-89u

1 Like

Are you suggesting you only consider one specific micron rosin grade? @ThePhilosopherStoned

2 Likes

I agree that jackets on stainless are a benefit if not a must. That or some serious insulation.

On our plastics at least, which are very thick, the vessel itself is the insulation thus no jacket is required.

I did a YouTube video on the microplastics debate. The gist of it is that microplastics are unavoidable in our daily life and that it sucks. I also distinguish from washing in a Brute versus our systems. The abrasion potential on a Brute vessel is just not there in our systems because of our design. So though the plastics debate is important, I believe it is not an issue for our systems since when you look at a tank that has processed 20 tons of biomass you can see zero scratches or micro-abrasions on it. Again, this is design more than material selection.

I believe plastics are awesome for making hash and proof is 710Labs fire which is made in a brute. BubbleMagic machines are also plastic. All make fire. The problem is that though both systems are great, they are hard to scale, have issues with sanitation, and may not be allowed in some jurisdictions.

4 Likes