Best CRC Medias and Media Suppliers

I can go faster than granules through powders by using a strainer

3 Likes

I’m going to be trying microcrystalline cellulose with butane here very soon. I’ll post the results of that.

3 Likes

Dis…

2 Likes

Lustermax is the exact same thing as our CT5, we “accidentally” got their order documents from the supplier when they ordered. Darrenjaydirect got em

3 Likes

Just ran 16 lbs using lustermax at 60-75g a lb. It was also high yeilding sugar leaf.

Color looks good. Jars are still solvent heavy, so it’s hard to say what’s going on terp wise yet. Nice color though.

1 Like

I’m excited to try it, though I have like a month till my next batch.

If you are buying crc clays I highly recommend @Waxplug1 to consult you and source your powders. I would never think about trying another company

5 Likes

Per pound of biomass
50g silica60 (your brand)
80-100g perform6000
And
100g of de (bvv) at the bottom of the pile

3 Likes

you are doing due dilligence. Ive been refilling carbon filters 13 years at least. the carbon from the store was as good as or better than new filters. the new bagged so called rc48 isnt on par so now im buying phresh totally dif prodict but I ment it on quality control. It can change Hopefullly this lab grade shit is somewhat consistent but it seems a GREEN product= someone mixing in a basement lab, which can be better than a commercial kitchen or real lab= if you dont have a gsd guarding.

1 Like

I dindt smoke weed for like 5 hours an smoked it and am completely fusked up.

I always did a T-5 silica 200-400 mesh blend, about 50/50 when dealing with outdoor, since you never know what the elements blow in, I prefer to be heavy with the T-5 when dealing with outdoor. I switch up my blends dependent upon materials examined, how it was trimmed, whole flower, growth conditions, all factor into what I consider for my clarification. I’m still collecting data on expectations and working on improved methodology, and usually use my first pull as a gauge for how I need to improve, or what needs to be considered.

I’m about to re-introduce T-41, and about to give activated alumina a go to see how that effects solvent/solute clarification in the long run. I just wanna see what a diversified media spectrum can offer.

Terp retention is good when you can start getting predictability with samples of material clarification matrix appropriate.

@Killa12345 for all my needs as we have established a dialog, and I credit him with being so helpful. I appreciate vendor’s that give a personal impression, and has guided me in useful ways as I attempt to wrap my noggin around this subject.

4 Likes

Something that seems noteworthy for this thread is that if people intend to take CRCd material to distillation its extremely important to use neutral media, or to balance the pH beforehand.

Acidic medias can cause quite a bit of isomerization on the back end.

11 Likes

Yes and yes. When prepping material for distillation I would always end the column with T-5 to neutralize it. I’d also include lots of different adsorbents to try to strip as many compounds as possible except the cannabinoids.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t T5 still have Lewis acid sites since it’s still activated using an acid?

3 Likes

While it does, the pH of the media is still neutral, and the resulting extract comes out neutral. There seems to be a pretty big difference between having hydrogen ions available to swap for other ions, and having free hydrogen ions that will jump onto whatever partially negative sites they can find.

In order to test the affects of any given adsorbent or adsorbent mix on pH, do the run through your powder, dissolve in ethanol, test pH. You’ll need a non-crc’d extract to dissolve in ethanol and test the pH in order to establish a baseline of what no pH shift looks like.

Of the clays I’ve tested (not many, and I haven’t tested any of yours) t-5 was the only to come out completely neutral.

4 Likes

I see so it would only be an issue if say it was added to a boiling flask right?

Yeah, that’d most likely result in isomerization. Or possibly if you were in a polar solvent, but I think any affect it would have would be minimal still.

Silica60 also tends to remove anything ionic so if you’re not concerned with altering the terp profile then silica could be the move.

Would love to hear about if you have any medias with neutral characters when you get a chance to run the tests.

4 Likes

We’ve used about every media that’s currently available and overall we get the best results with W1 in relation to terpene preservation, THC, and TC purity. Some biomass needs other adsorbents as discussed but carbons definitely pull terps and yield. CT-1 is LEGIT too. Might be as good as W1 :face_with_hand_over_mouth:.

1 Like

Has anyone tried to desorb the terpenes from their media after extraction?

Like pushing high pressure propane vapor thru the column like how @Apothecary36 does to make his “hydrocarbon steam” terpenes?

2 Likes

That’d be a really energy intensive process, huge activation energy barriers to overcome… Best just fraction out your terps before crc if you’re so concerned about then.

2 Likes