Best CRC Medias and Media Suppliers

Which ones are your favorites, who’s your favorite supplier?

Rocky Mountain Reagents is who I order all of my non-lpg solvents and medias through. Amazing customer service, super fast shipping, and the best prices I’ve been able to find.

1 Like

Oil dri.

2 Likes

They put out the opaline silica, right? Have you tried that stuff?

2 Likes

Yea works real good, simple to pack. $25 for #50 to boot. That’s from the hardware store but if you hit them up they’ll sell it to you by the ton.

I also use it in my garden.

3 Likes

@Waxplug1 if I remember correctly you generally use W1, right? You guys put out a lot of different medias though, do they have pretty specific applications?

2 Likes

China. They the cheapest. All comes from there anyways

1 Like

The oil dri I get here in CA is mined in CA.

8 Likes

All of it? Or just the opaline silica?

2 Likes

Just the opaline silica I think. I don’t buy anything else from them anyways.

It’s basically a raw material so shipping is the only real thing to consider. If you can get it in your backyard it will probably be cheaper than from china.

3 Likes

depending on where you’re located, it might be a different mineral if I remember correct, not all are opaline silica

There essentially three different products, but are all sold as premium absorbent

https://www.oildri.net/SDS.php

Edit: you said the one in Cali, that’s the opaline one I think.

6 Likes

I believe this denotes what mine the clay came from.

Taft mine in CA

8 Likes

That’s the one.

1 Like

I like the w1 or just b80, gonna try lustermax next.

Haven’t really had great results with granular medias unless I put it on top of powders.

6 Likes

You really have to throttle the granular…It kinda makes the flow advantage worthless

3 Likes

That’s why I threw powders under it lol, what’s the point of speed if I have to throttle it.

I have to do the same with all the medias really.

Ain’t too hard to get good flow no matter what you use.

1 Like

Some of you guys should put your ratios…. Might save the rest of the r n d guys here from using too much b80.

As a good majority of members that I’ve tried their concentrates takes like lemon pledge.

9 Likes

I just reduced the diameter of my crc column. Same amount of granules, just packed at a higher aspect ratio solved this for me.

4 Likes

Acidic bentonite clays tend to be the thing for hydrocarbon extractions, plus something that has alumina in it. W1 and ultraclear, t5/b80 and activated alumina, there are options but the first one is the most effective lol

3 Likes

We are going to soon. We’ve been compiling a lot of data and trying different medias from different mines. We’re sourcing the best minerals for our application by testing them in our lab. It’s been expensive but very well worth the knowledge gained and data obtained. Just gotta finish putting it in a presentable format.

So far we are seeing different results with every media by running them individually and comparing to a no filter run to see what it’s removing in our process. I can tell you for sure that even though two adsorbents may be the same mineral, they will yield different results based on pH, what mine/country they come from, size, temp, etc. so the data will be very helpful to us when shared. We’re trying different minerals not just clays to see what each one is doing. Each mineral has its own properties and characteristics so knowing these details is very important to know what the end result will be when using them.

Here is a sneak peak

The order is scanning electron microscope pictures of our own Silica60, Alumina150, QuickSand DE, and the “skin” that forms on top that blinds our crc columns.

21 Likes

We’re going to test media bros for terpene retention as well just got my sample

7 Likes