Best college major to get into the marijuana business?

Chemical engineering with a minor in biochemical processing, and undergrad research focused in botanical extractions took me very deep into the industry. It made me very confident in understanding the background of processing and extraction techniques. But I will say any chem/bio/mechanical/electrical engineering with a minor in chemistry would definitely get you in the door. Taking a few business classes is super helpful too.

2 Likes

Grad school /ex grad students working in research labs is where most innovations happen

Grad students are absolutely taught and encouraged to think outside the box and innovate. Good research schools will encourage high performing undergrads to get into the fold as well

2 Likes

You simply cannot teach innovation, this isnā€™t up for debate.

Sure, you can place individuals in an environment where they have a large inventory of tools at their disposal, you can try to nurture, encourage or even inspire innovation.

But it cannot be taught.

Law School

1 Like

You have to know the cutting edge (well) in an industry to push it

Innovation can be taught and cultured

Innovation - a new method, idea, product, etc.

Youā€™re going to tell me someone can teach new methodsā€¦ ideasā€¦ or products? (That havenā€™t already been discovered)

Letā€™s look at the beginning premise of what innovation isā€¦ in order for one to innovate, they must do what has not already been done.

ah yesā€¦ the unknown can be taught

Dude why the fuck should anyone listen to you about any sort of education related matters? You simply donā€™t believe in compensating someone for their time to teach you advanced skills - of course youā€™re gonna babble out some verbal diarreha focused out of your fingertips to polish that day long turd you pushed out trying to justify why none of our time is worth a penny to you.

Maybe I should go to a college and pull the tactics you did. I wonder if theyā€™ll crown me ā€˜free thinking king of collegeā€™ or if theyā€™ll just drag me off in handcuffs while on a diatribe, giving me a subtle ā€˜shut the fuck upā€™ taze every few seconds.

Oh here it comes - I canā€™t wait to see what professor has to drop on us today!

2 Likes

Quit insulting me and tell me how what i just said was wrong. fun factā€¦ it isnā€™t

I donā€™t want to pay to learn from you as i am seeking discovery, that doesnā€™t explicitly apply to you or anyone here, itā€™s my general approach.

I have a very unconventional way of learning and interacting with other humans, Iā€™m not a bad person. If you didnā€™t first disrespect me, i never would have disrespected you.

Yeah sorry you disrespected all of us because we wouldnā€™t give you what we strove to learn over years in a condensed paragraph so fuck off.

Do you not remember your bitchy little statement about me ignoring you because I was busy with my own life and family and had no obligation whatsoever to you? Yeah. You pushed that boulder down the hill with that one, buddy.

Iā€™m not your buddy, pal.

Judging by how you treat people that doesnā€™t just apply to me!

Happy VD!

How i treat people? After being bashed by you and others what did i do?

I left the conversation alone. I didnā€™t continue the argument.

I have not targeted you or anyone else that was involved.

Why are you targeting meā€¦?

Iā€™ll just let everyone make up their own mind and read your own words you wrote. They can start here.

I personally think college is only good if you know how youā€™re gonna apply your degree. If youā€™re going into a field and the degree will help you in your everyday job. Thatā€™s the ideal situation.

I really think kids shouldnā€™t go to school unless they have a job sponsor. At least it gives a student direction.

I almost went to stern. When doing orientation, the first 2 weeks of school is a job interview for a corporation you would be required to do a summer internship at. You worked your whole degree geared towards working for that company upon completion of your mba.

7 Likes

Letā€™s start with this.

Oh and this.

And finish with this

This was days agoā€¦ and youā€™re bringing it up again?

I know my faults, i am self-aware and yes, i am an asshole, why keep targeting me though? I left you alone, i left the discussion alone and here we are again bringing it up?

What do you want from me, an apology?

Hey @TeslaWRLD,

Pleasure to make your e-acquaintance! thatā€™s awesome that your current job is willing to pay for the majority of your bachelor degree! Even more awesome that you want to take advantage of it, Kudos to you!

There are many majors to choose from, but my personal opinion is this; study what you want to learn. If your passion is in chemicals and extraction, study that. If your passion is in hardware, then engineeringā€™s your best bet. However, Iā€™d say if your end goal is to have a cannabis-related job, you donā€™t need to limit yourself to just those two(or similar majors). There are a myriad of opportunities in the Cannabis sector; accounting, sales, management, marketing, etc.
As others have mentioned, I would say plan ahead so that youā€™re able to be flexible. See what pre-reqs match up with most of the majors youā€™re interested in, and as you learn more about the different aspects of Cannabis industry, you may become partial to it.

My history/experience-
I worked as a banker for Bofa(corporate sales basically) for years before I switched to sales with my current company(510 hardware). My major? Political Science w/ an emphasis on comparative analysis. And yes, I make a pretty good living; as most do in the successful parts of the Cannabis Industry. I absolutely LOVE the cannabis industry and between travelling to shows + dining out clients, I plan for this job to be the last one I have until I retire.

What a degree did for me is simple; Open doors. It can do the same for you, if not more. If you choose to specialize, I say specialize in your passion so that you can actually become the best. Weed industry-related majors are kind of like programming; yes, you can get a major and learn all about programming and become super successful and rich! BUT as others have mentioned, itā€™s not necessary, as many now-billionaire coders have shown us in the past. Same can be said for extractors, farmers, manufacturers, etc.
The hardest part in finding a steady-income with growth in the Cannabis Industry is going to be finding the right employer. Because itā€™s such an emerging industry, thereā€™s alot of money-grabs that fail real quick. Iā€™ve had many a co-worker quit and take better offers at other companies, only to have them belly-up and become jobless within the year. And if you need a steady income to provide for a family or yourself, then ideally you wonā€™t have to switch jobs or have periods of no-income.

Just my two cents, hopefully it helps!

Have a great Valentineā€™s everyone!

-Eric Choi

7 Likes

Been there, done that. The top 20 or so law schools are worth oneā€™s time if you can get in, and you can graduate toward the top of the class. As you go down the school rankings, you need to be in the top 10% of your class, and ironically the schools get harder as they get worse in ranking. The worst law school is Cooley. They accept the people who cant get in anywhere else, then flunk out 2/3rds of them, so that these people dont later flunk the bar exam and drive down their bar pass rate.

4 Likes

I came here to say this. I would have gotten to the same path more quickly in the industry if I did electrical or HVAC instead of the kiddie college debt trap right out the gate.

2 Likes

True about finding the right employer

Chemical Engineering has been a godsend for me.

Itā€™s a great combination of chemistry, process design, finance and business.

4 Likes