Beaker & Wrench F***ery

:100:ā€¦

1 Like

I mean, they said ā€œless than an hourā€ and itā€™s there as plain as day.

If it takes 1.5 hours then thatā€™s already a 50% increase from the claim that theyā€™ve made.

7 Likes

And this is why 90% of cannabis industrial manufacturing companies will be out of business on federal legalization day. Most cant nail down proper valves much less have a process engineer on deck to figure out thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. During my studies I was required to take this course. First day of class my teacher said ā€œI donā€™t expect no more than 3 people to understand and able to do these complicated problems.ā€ Everybody will pass with a C if you show up. This class was 50 deep. He was wrong only two pass with an A. The rest had C. I stood strong for the first two months. My brain melted.

Funny thing is when I came into the non traditional side I thought these top name companies had somebody on board with these skills. I was wrongā€¦ I know one company that has somebody on staff with these fundamental understandings.

10 Likes

Also arenā€™t those figures assuming all of that heat actually goes into the crude and that thereā€™s no adiabatic loss?

6 Likes

Yes this is only assumes a 25 degree change at 100% thermal energy transfer efficiency.

Basically there is no fucking way 20L will flow in less than an hour

5 Likes

@TheGratefulPhil I rarely do this because I embrace our industry to flourish from within but since they are being salty.
https://www.powerblanket.com/products/bucket-heaters/

You can get a thermo controller to regulate the temperatures. For anybody looking for the correct name itā€™s an insulated pail heater. They are half the price.

14 Likes

I dont read ā€œtestimonialsā€. Iā€™d much rather have future4200 members post factual .02.

7 Likes

Note: italics

My statement was heavily sarcastic

Fuck it, Iā€™m writing a thermo handbook for extractors.

This, along with large companies consistently under/oversizing chillers. The whole area needs to be demystified for extractors.

Simple algebra and a few spreadsheets could save us all some time. Expect it soon

48 Likes

Please include the amount of energy in dry ice and LN2

7 Likes

first youā€™ll have to find some of us that can read

14 Likes

we only recommend filling the container half wayā€¦

8 Likes

Yup, to @Siosis, a GLG member. Then gave him the run around, so I got involved. It got to the point where they tried to extort him over a gag order that both he and I had to abide by else they would keep his money.

I dropped them from the gang quick

31 Likes

Their feeding flask for crude only heats a small portion on the bottom, so I would assume that the whole 20L of oil doesnā€™t need to be heated. If you place the wire near the bottom then I could definitely see this working easily within the stated time frame. Not sure if this is the case but just throwing this out there. Iā€™m also not sure how much this was researched as they might have considered the plastic melting and needed to keep the wattage low. There are a lot of companies that I would automatically assume they did zero background engineering but B&W is NOT one.

5 Likes

You apparently donā€™t know any of their engineersā€¦ probably wouldnā€™t be as surprised if you did. Iā€™m not.

1 Like

Iā€™ve known them for a long time. Even from before they were B&W. They are a little too heavy on engineering if I was to critique the company.

2 Likes

Mechanical Engineering and Chemical Engineering are not the same.

Ace could freakin wiz me when it comes to mechanical engineering, including equipment designā€¦

But thermodynamics is the flaming hell that I was born in.

19 Likes

And to be clear, I was not speaking in reference to Ace. I have had the (dis)pleasure of working with one of their engineers. It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

3 Likes

@TheGratefulPhil! to B&W

11 Likes

8 Likes