@Beaker’s Chiller! (sold...)

Bidding?

Right here unless you’ve got a better idea.

@Krative is now the proud owner of the Steammpunk vaporizer

6 Likes

Yep that’s they one… But I did not see a cooling capacity listed

1 Like

What item is up for auction?

How do I bid and how do I find these items that are up for auction?

Seriously?

Top of THIS thread!!!

3 Likes

Familiarize yourself with the many uses of the magnifying glass icon.

Eg Search results for 'Auction' - Future4200

This is currently the ONLY item of @beakers up for bids. Items are PINNED while bids are being taken. So all you really need to do is keep your eyes open.

If you look carefully, you’ll notice a very specific TAG which will appear on ALL once_was_beakers

I still need someone to take dirty pictures before the glassware can be redistributed.

Edit:

3 Likes

What’s the retail value of a new unit so I know what a fair bidding price is?

@beaker paid $1800 according to the eBay link upthread.

It is THE chiller linked by @CannaChemistry

Edit: @CannaChemistry said eBay seller might take $1200, so we don’t actually know how much @beaker originally paid. He didn’t get to use it a whole lot…

2 Likes

Interesting, is would start the bid at 900 if the cooling capacity was known. I’m not looking to drop that much if it ends up only cooling like 1-2L

cooling capacity at those low temps on immersion chillers are pretty low. typically only a couple hundred watts. they are meant to chill a substance to -85c without a heat load on it other than ambient temp loads

Got it. You think it may work to cool an extraction or dewas vessel? Maybe 5 L total circulating volume.

It is an immersion probe it would be better suited for say a cold finger or Dewar cold trap. Although on a micro-scale like beaker used it you could chill a small tub of alcohol if it’s insulated very well

1 Like

Got it. So I could use it as a last-in-line chiller coil to protect pumps for wiped film?

1 Like

chiller coil? an immersion probe in an ancillary recirculating cold bath is gonna waste a lot of chilling energy. youll want a suitable recirculating chiller for that. This would work best like square root said

its good for that in a WF if you cant get one of the -105c or LIN traps

@cyclopath can we get a timeline on testing?

1 Like

Testing? It came in the door (from eBay) working (as documented up thread) and has only seen limited use since that point.

It is in Bend with @beakers brother at the moment.

2 Likes

just confirmation of its depth in an alcohol bath

I see what beaker said but its been a while since that post.

Depth?

As in does it get to -85C?

Or how far can it be immersed?!?

2 Likes

yes, does it get to -85 lol

1 Like

What ever happened with the chiller?

still waiting on our first bid.

As I haven’t made it to Bend to retrieve/test it, the only nibble insists on tests, there/here it sits.

not sure I have time to go fetch it.

1 Like