@Beaker’s Chiller! (sold...)

Seriously?

Top of THIS thread!!!

3 Likes

Familiarize yourself with the many uses of the magnifying glass icon.

Eg Search results for 'Auction' - Future4200

This is currently the ONLY item of @beakers up for bids. Items are PINNED while bids are being taken. So all you really need to do is keep your eyes open.

If you look carefully, you’ll notice a very specific TAG which will appear on ALL once_was_beakers

I still need someone to take dirty pictures before the glassware can be redistributed.

Edit:

3 Likes

What’s the retail value of a new unit so I know what a fair bidding price is?

@beaker paid $1800 according to the eBay link upthread.

It is THE chiller linked by @CannaChemistry

Edit: @CannaChemistry said eBay seller might take $1200, so we don’t actually know how much @beaker originally paid. He didn’t get to use it a whole lot…

2 Likes

Interesting, is would start the bid at 900 if the cooling capacity was known. I’m not looking to drop that much if it ends up only cooling like 1-2L

cooling capacity at those low temps on immersion chillers are pretty low. typically only a couple hundred watts. they are meant to chill a substance to -85c without a heat load on it other than ambient temp loads

Got it. You think it may work to cool an extraction or dewas vessel? Maybe 5 L total circulating volume.

It is an immersion probe it would be better suited for say a cold finger or Dewar cold trap. Although on a micro-scale like beaker used it you could chill a small tub of alcohol if it’s insulated very well

1 Like

Got it. So I could use it as a last-in-line chiller coil to protect pumps for wiped film?

1 Like

chiller coil? an immersion probe in an ancillary recirculating cold bath is gonna waste a lot of chilling energy. youll want a suitable recirculating chiller for that. This would work best like square root said

its good for that in a WF if you cant get one of the -105c or LIN traps

@cyclopath can we get a timeline on testing?

1 Like

Testing? It came in the door (from eBay) working (as documented up thread) and has only seen limited use since that point.

It is in Bend with @beakers brother at the moment.

2 Likes

just confirmation of its depth in an alcohol bath

I see what beaker said but its been a while since that post.

Depth?

As in does it get to -85C?

Or how far can it be immersed?!?

2 Likes

yes, does it get to -85 lol

1 Like

What ever happened with the chiller?

still waiting on our first bid.

As I haven’t made it to Bend to retrieve/test it, the only nibble insists on tests, there/here it sits.

not sure I have time to go fetch it.

1 Like

I know this was at the top of the forum for a little while…

What can we do to get it some extra exposure and maybe a few bidders that way?

1 Like

It was pinned for two weeks. I can certainly pin it again. Grabbing it and testing first it may make sense.

That’s a valid point. I just don’t want this thread to end up lost in the noise. He was too important to what we all do here to let this way to help his family get brushed aside. :grin:

4 Likes

I’ll kick it off with a bid of $1K. Would be really cool to own something of @Beakers.

12 Likes