@Beaker’s Chiller! (sold...)

What applications are you using the immersion for

I chill alcohol solutions. The alcohol used in dewaxing and pre chilling the alumina filter also used to catch chlorophyll is chilled to cryo temps. The solvent used to disolve the compound is placed in a beaker and capped with a vacuum adapter and valve. Then I pull a vacuum. The process of chilling reduces pressure and pulls a deeper vacuum.

Using and ULT type device to chill stuff generally creates a vacuum at some point. The vacuum here is useful only because it limits the heat transfer of the beaker which sticks out of the tub.

I also recently deployed an LLE process in my SOP. Part of the process washes predominantly terpenes out of the compound. The LLE also picks up at least traces of cannabinoid. So I set the stainless steel catch pot now in the cryo tub to precipitate these traces instead of my home freezer as before. The cannabinoid readily binds to the stainless steel pan so is easy to glean later.

The unit takes an hour to hit target temp and remains operating only the amount of time needed for the lab. There is no penalty on compressor use from opening and shutting doors or leaving a door ajar because there aren’t any lol. The cold finger routinely hits -85C as displayed and check by my thermocouple meter. The stuff in the beaker can get down as low as -68C when I checked it in a flask but it must be very close to the cold finger. I will testify that dewaxing at -69C is a luxury I enjoy because clean up is easier as is refinement. Plus I floated a baby carrot in there when cold. Frozen carrots are not all that interesting but… I had to try.

5 Likes

i believe it was a -85C immersion chiller ran on 120v ac from what beaker told me.

1 Like

Where are we bidding? And did I miss anything after the Edward’s pump?

2 Likes

Bidding?

Right here unless you’ve got a better idea.

@Krative is now the proud owner of the Steammpunk vaporizer

6 Likes

Yep that’s they one… But I did not see a cooling capacity listed

1 Like

What item is up for auction?

How do I bid and how do I find these items that are up for auction?

Seriously?

Top of THIS thread!!!

3 Likes

Familiarize yourself with the many uses of the magnifying glass icon.

Eg Search results for 'Auction' - Future4200

This is currently the ONLY item of @beakers up for bids. Items are PINNED while bids are being taken. So all you really need to do is keep your eyes open.

If you look carefully, you’ll notice a very specific TAG which will appear on ALL once_was_beakers

I still need someone to take dirty pictures before the glassware can be redistributed.

Edit:

3 Likes

What’s the retail value of a new unit so I know what a fair bidding price is?

@beaker paid $1800 according to the eBay link upthread.

It is THE chiller linked by @CannaChemistry

Edit: @CannaChemistry said eBay seller might take $1200, so we don’t actually know how much @beaker originally paid. He didn’t get to use it a whole lot…

2 Likes

Interesting, is would start the bid at 900 if the cooling capacity was known. I’m not looking to drop that much if it ends up only cooling like 1-2L

cooling capacity at those low temps on immersion chillers are pretty low. typically only a couple hundred watts. they are meant to chill a substance to -85c without a heat load on it other than ambient temp loads

Got it. You think it may work to cool an extraction or dewas vessel? Maybe 5 L total circulating volume.

It is an immersion probe it would be better suited for say a cold finger or Dewar cold trap. Although on a micro-scale like beaker used it you could chill a small tub of alcohol if it’s insulated very well

1 Like

Got it. So I could use it as a last-in-line chiller coil to protect pumps for wiped film?

1 Like

chiller coil? an immersion probe in an ancillary recirculating cold bath is gonna waste a lot of chilling energy. youll want a suitable recirculating chiller for that. This would work best like square root said

its good for that in a WF if you cant get one of the -105c or LIN traps

@cyclopath can we get a timeline on testing?

1 Like

Testing? It came in the door (from eBay) working (as documented up thread) and has only seen limited use since that point.

It is in Bend with @beakers brother at the moment.

2 Likes