B80 discussion

Just wanted to start this topic to discuss B80. Ive noticed some variance on the product coming out.

Using a 6x12 crc column with only b80. A 5um sintered disk on bottom + 3.5um micron paper on top then all b80. Haven’t tried baking the b80, just figured 6x12 of filter media would be enough to not bake. We’ve been running roughly 40lbs through the b80 before changing out.

I’ve been having inconsistent hues of colors coming out from light yellow/clear’ish to purple & even some grey slabs regardless if it’s the first run, 2nd run or the last. I’ve seen it go from clear, to red, to purple, to clear slabs before changing media to try again.

Wanted to hear some feedback from other people on there experiences of using only b80.

4 Likes

Purple and reddish tints indicate ph Imbalance

11 Likes

If the sequence of colored slabs is the same each time, I would posit that you are performing chromatography, and should reduce your bed thickness and either wash before reuse or discard after every run.

Dunno.

10 Likes

How many lbs of material per run

2 Likes

7lbs per column, 2 columns. Usually do stacked runs before harvesting collection.

Been doing 6columns, 42lbs’ish through a 6x12 column. The 6x12 column fits roughly 15lbs of b80. I haven’t been weighing the b80 since it’s so cheap.

1 Like

My b80 tests have been fairly consistent. All small scale but fairly consistent. I haven’t noticed any difference baking but small scale.

1 Like

About 150-200 grams of b80 per # has been working for me

3 Likes

Are you running multiple columns through 1 column then changing?

Or

1 column per 1 crc column, then changing?

@El_Z Whats you solvent ratio, temps, are you baking out the moisture, what is your saturation time i both b80 and material. Are you dewaxing before crc.

2 Likes

I do 1 run and switch b80 out currently only doing 2lb runs at a time

4 Likes

Running 100% iso through a 50ft coil pre injection of material column. Soaking when full then opening & showering 10lbs or so through column. Not baking b80 because I heard mixed results but can try baking over the next few days to see difference in results. I’ve been pre-heating the solvent/oil using a double jacketed coil after the material columns & before the crc column.

3 Likes

Are you tracking the actual temps?

I’m assuming the color sequence is NOT the same each time?!?

Has it occurred to you that by NOT baking, your media is different every time…

7 Likes

I run inline with good results

2 Likes

i currently use a 6x12 crc with b80 and silica…
i do not bake my medias
i do multiple runs (2 6x48 columns) per crc filter cake with n assist
i also use an injection coil on an acetone slurry

what you might be experiencing as far as the different colors if all material is the same between each run is channeling. how are you packing your cake?
i get consistent results as long as i dont channel, and the material is the same.

6 Likes

While packing CRC - I tap column with my fist & vacuum

4 Likes

Care to elaborate about your method? Size of crc column? Size of material columns? How many columns of material do you put through before changing the CRC media? CRC to media ratio?

1 Like

i do not fill my crc column up all the way…i fill about 50-70% of the column depending on material also

4 Likes

I’ve been experimenting. I have really good results thru 1.5" column running quarter and lb runs. I tried 3" and think the 1.5 was better having more depth than surface area. But still collecting data. I run around 1 cup per lb ish

4 Likes

Interesting. If it’s only 50% filled, What do you put on top of the b80 to hold it down?

When not filling up all the way, I’ve seen b80 going up into the sight glass on top of the CRC column (backwards towards the material columns).

How are you packing your columns?