Automate your LLE

I generally don’t do LLE much as i find it a big pain in the ass. However, those who lean heavily on this technique may find this company useful. They seem to have some pretty wonderful devices for automating the whole process as well as increasing it’s efficiency.

9 Likes

Relevant:
Design of Multistage Counter-Current Liquid–Liquid Extraction for Small-Scale Applications
weeranoppanant2017.pdf (4.3 MB)

10 Likes

Oh shit

How’s it work?

4 Likes

That’s some wild shit!

2 Likes

Sweet little pdf I found on their site for membrane selection

6 Likes

I feel like this is for flow chemistry applications. I have an idea or two for this.

2 Likes

I’m also curious about what’s in the box.

I’ve been thinking about pairing up membrane recovery to one of those CINC centrifugal separators but our batch sizes are still a little small for a setuop like that. I’m thinking it’s a higher operating cost way of avoiding 13 separators for 13 extraction stages.

1 Like

I’ve been busy

11 Likes

Nice @Rowan!

1 Like

Siiiicccckkkkk

3 Likes

What’s going on here?

5 Likes

It’s a phase contactor tower for increasing the phase contact in a countercurrent LLE. Usually these things are like 100ft tall and do 100gal+/hr.

Edit: like this:

Liquid_Liquid_ExtractionTechnology (1).pdf (1.7 MB)

6 Likes

I was thinking a fractioning tower of some kind… Thanks for the paper!

@Apothecary36 Dude…

Like this, wouldnt this be the perfect device for your dewax tech? Would this remove all waxes potientially…

1 Like

Yea but I don’t have experience running a continuous system. Its on the goals list for sure

Do you want experience running a continuous system?

Cause I am past the prototype phase- what sort of volume are you looking at needing to hit?

I built out a whole machine shop last month and am ready to mass produce these- if you want to share data I’ll build you one at cost.

3 Likes

You can dewax via LLE, using saponification - am I correct that you’re raising the ph of acidic cannabinoids to the point where they go water soluble and then pulling waxes and fats off via an Alkane strip?

Another method is to dilute your oil in heptane at a 1:2 ratio and then extract the cannabinoids into methanol, this will leave the fats and waxes in the heptane but pull cannabinoids

7 Likes

@rowan here-

got suspended for the usual fuckery- anyone interested in these can dm me here

1 Like

Heptane will pull the cannabinoids or the methanol?

They will both pull from one another.

Fresh methanol into oil diluted with heptane will pull cannabinoids and polars

Fresh heptane into oil diluted into methanol will pull cannabinoids and non polars

-Rowan

1 Like