Auto-spin/vibrating bar?

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Like a spin bar that doesn’t use a magnet to spin. It just spins/vibrates on its own…
So you could agitate stuff in a vac oven…

2 Likes

Maybe better luck with a battery powered stir plate.

2 Likes

yeah, I thought of that option too, but the shelves in our oven are so close together, I don’t think that plus a pyrex on top of that would fit :frowning:

Get a magnetic stirring hot plate. Get a large enough pot to fit the hot plate in it. Cut the end of the power plug off. Drill a small hole just large enough to fit the power wire through it, into the pot. Attach a new outlet plug to the wire. Seal off the hole that you have made with some JB weld and then for good measure you can also cover it with some silicone caulk. Get a thick lexan sheet you can use as a top and drill the necessary holes into it to attach the necessary hardware. You can get a silicone sheet and cut a large enough washer to affect a good seal between the lexan sheet and the pot. Voila, you got just what you wanted.

EDIT - also instead of cutting your magnetic hot plate cord, you can cut the female end of an extension cord then push the cord through the hole and then reconnect both ends so as to make the magnetic Hot plate not a permanent feature of your vacuum chamber… Also you can drill through the acrylic top and not through the steel pot if that makes it any easier on you… Oh by the way depending on what kind of power cord it is, it may behoove you to put some hot glue or silicone caulk on the part that’s open to the atmosphere inside or outside of your vacuum chamber keep from losing pressure through it.

1 Like

oooo, like one of these??

Just drill a hole in it for the cord… or use the battery powered stirring plate Dr Why mentioned…

You think the magnetic stirrer would be strong enough to spin the spin bar if I put a pyrex of oil (with spin bar) in one of these vac chambers and just set the whole pot on a stirring plate? would avoid the drilling of the whole and cutting the plug.

I think it might… if you get a strong enough stirrer… But how are you going to control the temperature?

get a heated stirring plate was my thought. temp on the stirring plate wouldn’t be accurately indicitave to what temp the oil is, but I could just go a little hotter on the stirring plate than normal to adjust for the heat loss

I do this but with mason jars, to flatten thca after decarb. It can be weak though, I have been meaning to upgrade the stirrers magnets for stronger connection.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this will suffice but I’m pretty sure they make them even bigger with stronger magnets.
But honestly either way I would prefer it inside the chamber for more accurate temperature control (unless you don’t give a shit about the temperature control) because getting another pot is very simple and very cheap in fact you can go ahead and get a cheap Chinese pot in the same dimensions if you are worried about drilling into the more expensive one.
Cole-Parmer Digital Magnetic Stirring Hotplate with Timer, 20L Capacity, 110V Amazon.com

Why doesn’t someone just build a vac oven with magnetic stirrers built into the shelves… turn on/off when needed. :smiley:

7 Likes

Any average stirring plate can be
Made stronger with neodymium magnets if there is sufficient space you can check them right on the oem magnets there not very heat resistant over 150C but that should not be a problem
In the reflux under pressure
I use cls pots with magnetic stirring and heat mats

1 Like

You should be able to place the whole oven on top of a shaking plate and have ss marbels in your solutions to give them a swirl

Could just strap a really strong massager to it and call it a day :joy::man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Before you place anything battery powered into a vac oven. Maybe experiment with placing batteries in your vac oven. With appropriate safeguards in place.

4 Likes

There are battery operated stir plates and they are not advised for vacuum application for that reason. Outgassing is always a problem but with batteries for sure it is. Industrial vacuum ovens usually come standard with an access port for the purpose of adding devices like stirrers, rockers, rollers etc.

This is where rectors come in. Rapid temp changes, stirring capabilities… Is that what you’re after?

1 Like

The inside of a battery is moist for a reason.

1 Like

Really? I’ve never seen one of these “access ports” on any ai vac oven I have ever used. can you elaborate on that? we have 2 of the 7.5 cu ft. AI ovens.

I’m just looking to be able to agitate oil that is in a vac oven. no rapid temp changes.

I guess I could just use a reactor like a normal person… but was just curious if this type of auto-spin/vibrate bar/pill thing even existed.

1 Like

me and my buddy were talking about exactly this over the weekend. how a battery might react in a vacuum… after this comment, I’m assuming they don’t do well lol

Never tried batteries.
But I ruined some steaks attempting to instantly marinate them in a vac chamber once. Tasted weird and they were tough to chew. And if I had a hot plate with magnetic stir bar I would try making eggs Benedict with it.

1 Like

Sounds like you either got too much time on your hands or you spend way too much time in the lab. :rofl:

2 Likes