Are these plants to big to flower in 3 gallon pot?

Was getting these plants ready to put outdoors and they somehow went into flower while under 24 hour light ( greenhouse in the day time , indoor leds at night , I drag them all indoors at night ) … have no idea why they flowered early, had the same trouble with this strain last year flowering early but I put them under 24 hour light this year so thought I would see the same issues . ( last year they were only in the green house so had about 15 hours of sunlight ) . Wondering if my plants are to big to flower in these three Gallon pots ? Planned to transplant them into outdoor beds but now I’m gonna flower them indoors . I know they don’t like to be transplanted in flower but I don’t know if it would be more detrimental to leave them in 3 gallon pots . 20210515_174820 2.jpg

Some varietals like CBG flower when rootbound. With cloth pots outdoors, mix rich soil underneath and let the roots reach out. You’re going to have a vicious wet/dry cycle if you try to flower them indoors in small pots.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t flower them in those pots

No. Way.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info ! I’ll definitely switch pots . Do you think they look big enough to be root bound already ?

1 Like

If the root tips are drying out, absolutely.

1 Like

Thankyou ! I think u are definitely right

Just took one out of the pot to check the roots , the bottom two inches was bone dry , :man_facepalming: Haven’t been giving them enough water . U are the best !

Always water to 10-25% runoff. Root binding is bad.

Unfortunately, you either have to put them under 12 hours light for flowering now or risk putting yourself 2-3 months back with revegging and losing yield.

3 Likes

Luckily I have about 200 smaller plants that ill use for outdoors. Definitely gonna flower these to avoid the re veg stress

1 Like

Good. Multiple reveg cycles can make stable plants herm aka rodelization. Soma wishes he had never found that trick to introducing intersex genetics in the gene pool.

1 Like

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

May sound dumb but buy some aluminum pans at the dollar store the big ones place your pots into that and when you water fill the remaining space of the pans up with water will help those dry roots. Idk why fabric pots always give me an issue when watering from above only.

There’s two in my tent at the moment but will end up all being in them. Don’t mind the damage on the autos they had an accident in their old tent.

2 Likes

On the flip side if you decide to flower them in that container they will finish quickly. Remember most varieties will still grow about 40% their current size once the flower cycle begins. Unless you are controlling their growth in a container.

You will have to maintain moisture levels more frequently but you could totally flower those girls in the 3 gallons just like they are.

6 Likes

@cloner But everyone wants yield for the power bill.

I did 200 gallons feed 3x per week for 72 plants in 10-gallons HPCC. The yield was 2.5 pounds per light. I did 250 gallons feed 3x per week for 72 plants in HPCC. The yield was 3 pounds per light.

Was it a trade off for the cost of fertilizer? Sure. We aren’t talking about CEC right now, but more runoff when it’s time to water is usually better.

3 Likes

I get that and agree the cost trade offs aren’t a big factor. There is costs associated with up potting, longer veg care, and materials to support large plants. I’m starting to prefer smaller, faster producing plants on a short veg program. This also reduces IPM and fert applications

7 Likes

Cost spreadsheets, my man.

2 Likes

I’d love to see some for flower production! I’ve got the liner production cost spreadsheets dialed in, annual pack production as well. Haven’t had the opportunity to compose a scaled flower production program together.

2 Likes

I got the farm that I ran on the documentation train. I’m heartbroken the best employee I had runs their operation now who I coached since he started. I wish flower production could be cGMP at some point, but there are so many factors that go into it like genetics and IPM.

5 Likes

If ur feeding with salts, any size pot works lol, ive seen monsters in 1 gallon pots fed with salts. They had to water/feed like 8 times a day though

8 Likes