Are bad genetics responsible for hot crops (or is it the environment)?

That is neat stuff. I have read a little about pcr. From what I understand, at this time just the materials cost to test two plants is greater than the price of one feminized seed. So right now, it would not make financial sense to grow regular seed and rely on pcr to pluck males. But of course the costs are likely to drop in the future.

1 Like

Isnā€™t early sexing how Phylos got their foothold?

1 Like

canā€™t really comment on how they gained traction, but here is an interview with Mowgli!

I really enjoyed the Cannabis and Science Cultivation Podcast interview and follow up. The news about them going into genetics broke during the first podcast.

1 Like

Its stress and or late harvesting as well as or excess in nutrition from what ive learned

1 Like

You can give a dozen growers the same seeds/cut and they will all produce different results both yield and potency, even looks. Itā€™s all on the specific type of climate for that specific flower. Nutrients and souls as well as super crop, lst. All that has effects. So I do think the weather is affecting some areas and strains as well.

3 Likes

thanks for finding the source article.

genetics is important. so is environment.

genetics controls which synthase(s) is(are) involved, and which trans-acting modifiers are present.

environment controls how those genes are expressed.

no, you canā€™t get 20% CBD out of a plant with two THC synthase alleles based on how you treat it, but chances are, you can push a 10% CBD to a 16% CBD plant if you love on it just right. unfortunately, by turning up a synthase that makes a little THC along with that CBD, youā€™ve now made more than youā€™re allowed to.

this graph (stollen from https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gcbb.12667) shows how the RATIO of THC to CBD is under tight genetic control.

Genotype to phenotype relationships. (a) Total potential tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) concentration (% dry mass) in individual plants for which B locus genotype was also determined. The red line indicates 0.3% total potential THC (b) Ī”9ā€THC concentration by genotype. The red line indicates 0.3% dry weight Ī”9ā€THC. (c) Total potential THC concentration by genotype. The red line indicates 0.3% dry weight total potential THC. (d) Total potential CBD:THC concentration ratio. All means differ (ANOVA p < 1eā€4). Tabular data can be found in Table S2

what they donā€™t do it pull apart the source of variation that is affecting total cannabinoid production.

3 Likes

I am a bio molecular researcher at Purdue University. I am studying primary hemp, but also Kratom and Salvia. I do nothing but PCR hemp gentics and breed. I am on F3 of a Candiana hemp strain. I cant find any markers for Low THC synthase that can be for sure under .3 percent thc. If anyone has the primer or paper please share! I think environmental is a part of testing hot for sure. But if you had genetics that proved low thc synthase to legal parameters, would environment even matter? There are many great breeders out there, but I think studying cannabis genetics on an academic level is just the beginning. If anyone has different thoughts please evaluate. I wanna know more too!!!

3 Likes

should of looked at your post before mine. hahah thanks for the info!

1 Like

the psychotropic effects of the salvia are pretty intense. has anyone extracted divinorium yet?

Yep, I am also studying our receptors using yeast culture. Why found Kratom and Salvia hit some receptor sites. Not an expert in any of these plant verities. Just doing experiments

1 Like

good for you friend! I would love to follow your research. Iā€™m going to see if I can extract it with scCO2 and would be honored to contribute to your research as well. Any plans to study psilocybin too?

i remember trying salvia when it was still legal over here as soon as i exhaled i started uncontrollably laughing before blacking out and seeing starry shapes.then it sort of felt like i was tiny and flat almost like i was 2d and zipped in the world.
2nd time i tried it i think i laughed a little and was told that everything/existence was a trick.really weird feeling
itā€™s probably the least moreish thing i have ever tried but lucky both my trips didnā€™t last long unlike this interesting tale

also that weird hot sweaty feeling you get from it .

2 Likes

Yeah, it seems like youā€™re right on that one.

The Hawaiian leaf seemed more euphoric than the Mexican. If you try 5X of 10X it can be as weird as anything.

The reason for hot hemp is not really genetics per se, more the biochemistry of the enzyme that makes CBD.

There are two separate enzymes (possibly each with different isoforms) at play in the CBD/THC fork from CBG. One enzymes makes THCA (THCAsynthase) and does it really well without making much if any CBD. This enzyme has been heavily selected for maximum throughput to THC for 50+ years in the ā€œillicitā€ grow scene. It is a thoroughbred race horse.

The other enzyme makes CBDA and is not as good at its job as THCAsynthase. CBDAsynthase is a bit slower at making CBDA and also makes THCA at ~30x slower rate. This usually leads to a ~30/1 CBD/THC ratio. It may be possible the environment (temp, humidity, nutrients) could tip this ratio but the real solution is a better behaving CBDAsynthase. This is only possible through some very selective breeding (like what took place during illicit breeding of MJ) or direct mutation of the enzyme (read GMOā€¦ but the hippies!).

1 Like

The more abiotic stress a plant suffers during flowering may hurt yield, but it tends to make the THC more potent. For example, you may notice how some Jalapeno peppers seem a lot hotter than others, its caused by environmental stress.

Iā€™ve had flowers that look great, smell great, and then do nothing for me, not even a buzz.

Itā€™s best to start with good genetics.

Mutation based breeding efforts are also a possibility, with a hippy friendly transposon based strategy looking like a solid option to meā€¦

Itā€™s not just seed though. We planted 60k starts that all had the same original plant. North oregon, 10% .21%, southern oregon, 12% .34%. I dont know what happened with Cornell but this isnt the first time Iā€™ve noticed this. We started everything from one plant just to remove the seed as variable.