Are bad genetics responsible for hot crops (or is it the environment)?

University researchers studying hemp plants found that differences in growing conditions between multiple sites had no influence on THC levels.

Mind. Blown.

1 Like

University research on cannabis/hemp is often a poor representation of reality. Anecdotal observations from the 2019 growing season conflicts strongly with this.

4 Likes

a conversation worth having, for sure. is it possible that observations from 2019 and before were skewed by factors other than environment?

1 Like

We produced 550,000 starts from a 6th generation genetic with 5 stable phenos. Our farmers experienced wildly different THC levels with soil composition and rainfall appearing to be the dominant factor. There were some farmers who drove their crops extremely hard with synthetic fertilizer and experienced off the chart THC levels, but even after removing their results I have a hard time dismissing the environmental influence.

7 Likes

rephrasing as a question with source…

2 Likes

We planted 12.000 cuttings, from same mother plants, in 4 different locations and different style of fertilization and got totally different THC value…

By the way: Is extremely difficoult ti handle THC because of genetics, location, style of fertilization, sampling of material (main cola higher than lower Lollipop) , and also discrepancy in testing because of the SOP used by Lab.

5 Likes

Is there any definitive research pointing towards the ‘effect of environmental conditions on THC’

The following research is what was quoted in the shared article…

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gcbb.12667

1 Like

Malicious regulation imposed by capitalistic snakes. That’s what’s responsible. The distinction based on % of a single component? Mo problems, mo money. Need some remediation my man?

5 Likes

I have two coas on t1, two different crops grown from the same mother plant, and one shows 0.0% total thc and the other shows .32% total thc. That is the difference between hydro and soil.

Either cornell doesn’t know what they are talking about, or the study was planned to be used as anti farmer propaganda when The Great Leap Backward occurs in 2021.

5 Likes

Which was hydro and which was soil?

Hydro tested at 0% thc.

Hydro/potted plants seem to make about 60% or so of the cbd that soil plants do, whether indoors or out, so there is a give and take. I think they are certain to pass usda testing, though.

1 Like

Huge difference in THC. That’s good to know. Can’t grow anything yet but certainly going to experiment with hydro. May allow use of some of the high Cbd producers if THC will be lower. May also be able to skip some of the remediation expense as well.

1 Like

I will soon have some side by side test results from hydro vs soil in the same room under the same lights for the same cycle. I too have heard that hydro is easier to get compliant.

2 Likes

If all these so called hemp companies would stop making unstable f-1 or s-1 lines there would be no issue in plants going hot… but no let’s make a quick buck and call it good… I fear for farmers in the next year or so trusting large companies to provide them unstable seeds.

1 Like

Curious discussion.

Looking at just hydro vs dirt is looking at millions of variables at once. What are the processes within each method that would cause such things?

Microbial, trace elements bound in soil, water availability, additional organics in soil, nutr mix/delivery…seems way too complicated for a binary switch…but super interesting.

That’s why i’m of the strong belief that you don’t shop genetics, you shop breeders. After a lot of research and multiple conversations, these are companies that I personally am comfortable doing business with:

Alterra Hemp
Colorado CBD Seeds
Windham Farms

Blue forest farms has unstable genetics the cherry blossom they have was made by eco and it was an improper project

1 Like

Good feedback, thank you! Not that i’m doubting, but any paper trail on that you could share?

1 Like

As far as what exactly makes that thc and cbd difference between hydro and soil, I am all guesses, too. Another variable could be temperature fluctuation at the root zone for plants not grown in soil.

1 Like

Related scholarly research from a Maryland university… just published… DNA_analyses_to_determine_sex_of_hemp_seedlings_many_weeks_before_sex_traits_are_visible…pdf (349.7 KB)

1 Like