Applying a charge to water from a well source

Has anyone experimented with applying an ionic charge to the water coming up from a well to irrigate plants?

1 Like

probably not ideal, the salts can cause an issue.

take salt out of the equation. I was thinking more along the lines of charging the water with say an electromagnet field or an other method to charge the water with out salt if its even possible. Rain has a charge and the plants always seem to do better with rain water vs any other water source I’ve used.

If you want to pull minerals out of water, look up reverse electrolysis. It’s how they can clean large amounts of water after a chemical spill.

1 Like

Not looking to pull anything out of the water it self just apply a small charge to the water to mimic rain water.

2 Likes

rain water is actually kinda devoid of minerals, an ro system would mimic this better.

2 Likes

https://www.hempbasics.com/hhusb/hh5elc.htm
I may not be asking the question correctly. I’m not after the purity of the water or lack of minerals. Check out the link above this is more along the lines of what I’m talking about.

1 Like

Ion charged h2o I believe you talking about

I wouldn’t be able to help you with that stuff, here is a link that would explain how to make a charge in h20.

1 Like

That’s it! I’m curious if anyone has tried this on here. I talked to a farmer last year that said he has had great success with growth and plant health but 99% of people are full of B/S so I’d like to grab a few more opinions.

Yes. From my understanding rain will have a slight negative charge vs no charge from ground water.

1 Like

salts are ionic too.

I put a magnetics system on well water from a limestone aquifer for potable water. There was a definite change in the crystal structure of the calcium carbonate scale that would build up on the inline strainers. Structure shifted to a more rod like crystal.

Not yet convinced of the benifit, but did observe a change. Have yet to try the system on plants.

1 Like

I forget where I read it or heard it, but does flowing/moving water not naturally carry a negative charge?

If there would be a way to detect the charge of the flowing water in a system like this and you could seperate the streams right before they jump to the opposite charged side you could make both positive charged and negative charged water.

Maybe?

Edit: After reading again and watching the video at the bottom of the article im not clear if the water streams themselves are holding the charge or the metal coils and mesh screen, or both

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I have a customer dealing with this in his well water. The calcium and magnesium carbonates are very high and he has to use a ton of pH down. The iron content is ridiculously high. Depending on the farm season and how much rain goes into the water table, nitrates and phosphates vary. He goes through about 2500 gallons of feed a week, so RO is not an option.

We tried GH 3-part with micro for hard water. We tried Veg+Bloom tap. The free fulvic acid in AGT-50 couldn’t even chelate that many minerals in the water.

He ended up getting his water analyzed by JR Peters and they made a custom hydro formula for his water source. It’s the only thing that has worked and he gets through cycles without being thrown a curve ball from his water source.

(Miss you @JedClampet! Hope your personal life is super sweet!)

5 Likes

Go hydro, then ro might be realistic.

2 Likes

He HATES upfront cost- That means hydro and RO system. Some folks want to run a bottom dollar grow, so we make it work for them.

It reminds me of one of my customers who wanted an 18-light bottom dollar grow. He got 18 1k magnetic ballasts and bare bulbed in the room. He also used just Ocean Forest and Flora Nova bloom. I fixed those old heavy ballasts about 30 times. He did it like that for YEARS.

3 Likes

What about a 12 membrane filtration, the cultivation I helped setup here has one & they run through 40k of just waste alone but it has since been repurposed to mister systems after running additional filtration(run off from watering as well.) could be something to look into maybe. They make about 30gpm on their current setup stacked into a 17500 gal res that feeds 24 additional 550’s

2 Likes

Actually what about ozone treatment?

2 Likes