Apothecary36 filter tek 2.0 LLE

The water and methanol is only recovered for solvent recovery. The oil is in the non polar layer and has good clarity. The key is to dissolve in non polar completely before extraction into the methanol

Sorry does that answer your question

5 Likes

My bad i should have read your run down a little slower. I misinterpreted.

2 Likes

I dont even filter anymore lol :laughing:

3 Likes

@Apothecary36 Whats your tac record with this Tek washing crude?

1 Like

Only tried it once so far but it hit 79 %

I think there’s the potential to hit 85% too

2 Likes

introduction

The purpose of this sop is to take a high fat non polar extract (butane, propane, heptane, hexane) and dissolve the oils and fats in non polar solvent. Then we will extract the oils into methyl alcohol while leaving behind the fats in the non polar solvent. We will then proceed to pull the oil back into a non polar solvent by adding a brine to louche the cannabinoids. The non polar solvent will have a highly refined, winterized solution without any filtration steps needed. :snowboarder:

The purpose of this step is to dissolve all the fats in the non polar layer.

Stainless steel may work, but the brine may cause corroding over time

As per @Beaker tek, we know that methanol has the least solubility in waxes, and also the highest affinity for cannabinoids. Some may argue that using methanol and water will pull less fats and waxes, but I like to assume the hexane/heptane will hold onto those and won’t let go.

All of your cannabinoids should have migrated to the methanol layer.

The reactor will likely have a bit of sludge in it from the non polar layer, so use more non polar to clean it out or perhaps acetone if needed.

At this point, your cannabinoids will be split between the methanol and non polar layer.

We want the methanol concentration to drop to 30-50% with 50-70% h20. This will make all the cannabinoids jump out of the methanol and into the non polar layer.

I dont like to disturb the layers on the final pull. If I were to drain the non polar out the bottom port of the reactor, then the product could catch some floating/ undissolved contamination on the way out of the reactor.

Hexane is toxic and heptanes boiling point is very high. When crude gets very thick, it will make it a lot more difficult to remove heptane and hexane. I know @Cheebachiefextracts mentioned using pentane as a tool to help remove heptane residuals. I’d like to dial this procedure in soon if possible.

Please don’t pollute our planet. Do your part. Be responsible.

11 Likes

So are we aiming for a super quick winterizarion here with minimal filtration repetitions?

2 Likes

Yea I saw summits pig filter ad yesterday or this morning and was like man filtering is sooooo 2020

I was 90% of the way to doing this sop then I saw some hints from our favorite peeps @Kingofthekush420 and rowan lol and I came up with this method for myself to try out. Worked great in my opinion. All from warm heptane extract

6 Likes

@Cheebachiefextracts I added an intro

3 Likes

Gotcha I’ll read back through shortly

Great process overview! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I’ve always found its quicker and easier to do it the opposite way

I’ll go 6:1 into methanol and winterize first, then I’ll wash the methanol with 13x the volume to remove 99% of the cannabinoids

I’ve found its faster to have to evaporate the heptane then the methanol, which is why I’d rather do 13x washes using heptane instead of methanol

5 Likes

Right which is actually why I louche and LLE back into heptane! Thanks for the input

4 Likes

I’ve found louching to push a bit more junk into the nonpolar layer than is desirable, we just run a regular LLE against 90% MeOH and it cleans up better. Plus it saves having to recover the MeOH from a watery mess

6 Likes

Have you tried salt water? I agree it can be a lot cleaner to not add water at all.

1 Like

Salt water is great for pushing everything out of the methanol but that’s less the issue when dealing with really nasty crude than keeping the mildly polar crap in the methanol while still extracting all the cannabinoids. Louching makes almost anything that’s not completely water soluble hop back over to the alkane, at which point you might was well just do a water/brine wash IMO.

2 Likes

How much cannabinoids remain in the heptane layer after LLE washes? Pretty minimal I guess with enough methanol?

1 Like

Idk its fairly minimal I figure you can always rinse with more methanol until it runs clear

3 Likes

Well, I’d say (somewhat unscientifically) not much BUT my GCMS is officially running so I may actually answer that empirically in a few days lol. My guess is maybe 2-5% of starting potency left in the raffinate when going to heptane from methanol and maybe a tenth of that going the other way. To be clear, that’s a guess

4 Likes

I think for the speed you can process this compared to filtration, it’s worth leaving behind some goods. Definitely depends on how much your starting material costs you. Id imagine biomass is cheap for most folks though