Anyone use depositor with pectin?

This is where our jobs get fun. Yes a slow-set HM pectin is thermoreversible whereas a regular, rapid set HM pectin is not. Important on my part to clarify. Thanks for the challenge.

also these are great sources of some information - thought I’d share for some “light reading”:

https://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/vitamins-minerals/more-youre-ex-pectin

The world of pectins and other gelling agents is so diverse and complicated.

Yes you can melt HM pectin gummies back down however the term thermoreversible is leaning more towards a product like syrup where with a little heat the the gel gets thin but then once cooled down becomes thick again.
An HM gummy should withstand 200*F + without melting. I would not place that in the thermoreversible category pectin’s are sold in. Those are more often Amidated LM pectin’s.

So my current formulation is yielding great texture, but bubbles forming on the sides of the gummy (where the gummy comes in contact with the mold) how could I cook off less water without compromising texture? Would my cure times get longer? Or is there another way around the bubbles issue that doesn’t involve a vacuum ?

It sounds to me like your solution is too thick which is why the bubbles get stuck. Are you using a depositor or doing flood and scrape? How much acid and pectin do you use in a batch? How much water?

Alot of the recipe itself can depend on the pectin itself, i had a client using a weird brand of pectin and they were having kicking and bubble problems

1 Like

What is your final ph? A thick solution will have a hard time allowing the bubble to escape before the pectin begins to gel. A low ph. Doesn’t help this issue, increasing your buffer to slow down the gelling speed can help allow your bubbles to escape before the gummy sets up.