Anyone use depositor with pectin?

As title says, anyone using a depositor with pectin gummies?

I have a Savage Bros FireMixer elec cooker/kettle and a Truffly Made depositor I’ve been using with great success for making gelatin based gummies. Recently ventured into learning pectin and I’m having trouble with the product gelling too fast in the hopper before I can get it all pumped. I typically do 18,000g batches when doing gelatin, and have dropped down to 9,000g for pectin and I can still only get about 1/3 pumped before it sets too much to continue filling the valves.

I’m using a blend of Pacific Pectin HM100 and HM150.

Whos doing this with success, and whats your secret?

3 Likes

how much citric acid or malic acid are you using… do you add right before you put it in the hopper? Do you dilute the malic or citric acid with water before adding to the pectin mix?

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Ce7FYhIB-2s/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I use pectin with my depositor np

My gummies also don’t melt even after 2 months in the FL summer heat

4 Likes

Im using 0.06% citrate/0.38% citric together, dissolved into 0.375% water. Im adding it immediately before pouring into the hopper

1 Like

I creeped your Instagram earlier this week, I was curious if that was pectin in your videos. My recipe seems to be spot on, the product that Im able to get into molds sets up great, tastes great, and is extremely heat resistant, I just can’t get the hopper pumped completely before it sets up.

1 Like

are you using something like this… a slow set HM pectin ?

4 Likes

how hot are you keeping everything? what pectin/buffers?

2 Likes

Crank the temp up on the hopper

Mine at like 100c

It only gels when it’s too cold

2 Likes

What is the Brix and pH you are pouring into the hopper at? I also had some tribulation getting my pectin recipes through the Truffly especially using all natural flavors (purees and concentrates), I keep my hopper at 107C and I have to pour at a lower brix than I’d to like normally but our cure room is pretty on point so it just adds some hours on the dry time in there to get down to the right moisture. But doing this I am able to get all our flavors through pretty consistently now. I also just ordered the bigger diameter nozzles to see if I could have more versatility with the recipes. Will be trying those out tomorrow!

2 Likes

I’m using Pacific Pectin HM-100 and HM-150.

Hopper temps are 86c. I’ll try cranking it up. I’m not sure why this eluded me, I haven’t even considered this.

Cooking to 80 Brix, usually around 226-228*.

2 Likes

Tbh I don’t even pay attention to the brix.

I cook the solution to a certain temperature which dictates how much water is in there then I pour and inject and dry them

If you’re getting bubbles you’re cooking too much water out

4 Likes

When you say bubbles, are you referring to bubbles across the top surface, or super tiny microbubbles within the finished product?

There’s a lot of reasons you could get bubbles - it’s not as cut and dry as he’s making it sound.

2 Likes

Easy enough for me to never have problems with it so it is " as cut and dry" as I make it sound

You forget I R&D my own pectin recipe. No ones ever shown me shit about using a depositor. There’s a reason even Jimmy hits me up for help and has asked for my sop

1 Like

Bubbles on the top surface. If you’re getting them throughout the gummy youre way over cooking it or your depositor isn’t setup correctly for the suck back feature

Can you think of a few other reasons this might happen besides…

Your overconfidence is always funny, though.

Literally 11 months ago your thoughts were -

Not necessarily…

5 Likes

Funny you haven’t actually contributed anything to this thread except trying to discredit me. Why not try to help OP instead of bashing me? Be useful for once

what are some other issues that cause bubbling?

1 Like

depositing speed, lack of diving feature, clogs…

1 Like

diving feature?

thanks in advance for the explanation

1 Like