Anyone use 8inch column for their cls?

So I ran a CLS for a bit then took a break and now I’m looking to get back into it and need a whole new extractor. Before I ran a standard CLS with a cmep and 6”x48 column.
This time around I’m going to run passive with half inch hoses but I’m wondering if I should run 8inch columns.

My plan is to run 12.5# of trim per run and I think using 8inch would greatly speed up my load/unload time.

So if you use 8inch columns how do you find them? Do you use n2 push? Does it take much longer to freeze? If you used a 6inch which do you prefer?

6 in stacked spool runs.

look at the pressure rating of 6" vs 8" clamps…

4 Likes

I have it’s a 50psi difference but still well above the pressure I would be working with. On paper it seems like 8inch columns would be a dream to work with that’s why I’m asking for people’s experience because things never seem to work out as good as they do on paper

1 Like

I have used a 8inch column for 8 years. No complaints :man_shrugging: people say 6inch is more efficient because its more narrow so you pick up more.
I fill my columns up completely and then start draining them but only at the speed i fill em
Once its water clear i cut it off and let the column drain fully

I hope this comment sparks some debaits

1 Like

I would imagine having even solvent coverage in an 8" column might be difficult. I’ve often wondered what people do to mitigate this issue. Multiple injection ports? I also imagine recovering an 8" column would be a nightmare. Having a 1" water jacket penetrate a 4" radius of frozen material to phase change the solvent isn’t going to be a quick process. But…if the volume of the column is such that overall time efficiency may not be effected.

Sorry, I lack experience with an 8"…but this is what crosses my mind with moving to an 8". Anyone offer up some experience with these issues?

I’ll be honest…cant you get 12.5 lbs in a 6x48? Is it a PITA to unload your column? Are you hoping to use socks in and 8" with 12.5 lbs?

1 Like

had a buddy running 8s that went back to 6. He said 8in was a real pain in the ass to clear and recover. They were losing something stupid in gas every day just to the material column. Id love to see 8in get tackled because I wanna run 8x60in tubes.

1 Like

We have an 8" on our Luna. We use material socks for biomass. They’re 8x60 but we only use 48" to leave room for the float sensor in the material column.

We fit 15# dry or 20# FF in the socks using their packer. Yields are on par with our old trap extractors. Something to consider is if your system is flood up or down. The Luna is flood up like the old GW/Skunkpharm terpenator clones we used.

3 Likes

I imagine that helps with even solvent coverage

1 Like

Absolutely. Basic physics says channelling is less likely with flood up. I do like the idea of a top down rinse post soak though, which our Luna doesn’t have (yet).

2 Likes

This is how I have ran for years. Purge equipment
Bottom fill
Soak
Recover
Shower
Recover
Start next tube
30-50lbs per hopper.

4 Likes

Yeah bidirectional is the best of both worlds.

4 Likes

No. Cuz channeling

1 Like

I rock my crc at the bottom of my material column… imagine if I bottom filled

5 Likes

That’s a horrible picture… Damn you Man, why would you even consider something so… so… wretched…

1 Like

Hope for the best prepare for the worst right?

I do love the crc at the bottom of the material
Column…

So much faster then reloading the crc throughout the day

4 Likes

The Luna had a larger than 6 column.

So they made it an asme pressure vessel and sized down any clamps needed below 6

Okay i loose 1lb of solvent to 1 lb of material pretty much… i charge extra for solvent so it doesnt cost me anything…

Idk if that is a huge loss, because ive always ran an 8inch. Its all i have ever done. That being said
I use certain techniques to save more solvent. But i dont reallt care as the customer pays for it plus more

Okay please explain why you guys bottom fill

I have been toying with this idea for some time. I run a 8 inch also. I filled my column completely. Once full I drain start draining but only the same amount as i am letting in so it stays fully submerged the whole time untill the solvent turns clear then i cut the supply off and let it empty

Im curious to start filling bottom up first
Then switching to top down untill it goes clear

Please enlighten me on youe thought

1 Like

Clamps are failure points for pressure (for the most part)

Using SSH clamps from LJStar this is your pressure rating:

1 Like