Anyone know where this CBD to D9 THC paper came from?

How goes it all? I was recently given this PDF of a CBD to D9 THC Convertor and I’m trying to find out who created this PDF.

What I know is that this method isn’t scaleable so only good for personal use but still a very cool and interesting find.

If anyone knows the source, please DM me if you know who created this :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would seem to me that producing such a proprietary catalyst would put the creator in a precarious legal position in the USA. I’m not a lawyer, though, so I could be wrong.

1 Like

Can you explain what you mean?

Or, at least half the country. Some states with D9 legality may allow this.

I don’t believe one can just sell a kit to create an illegal substance. You have to disguise it as something else. The idea that someone selling it with those overt instructions probably doesn’t want to be found unless the kit was legally compliant was my only point.

1 Like

The only catalysts capable isomerizing CBD to 90% or above delta 9 are pyrophoric and they cannot be used in the way that’s shown in that picture tutorial. I think that whole process is implausible. I suppose the powder inside could be anhydrous aluminum trichloride, but even if that syringe had been inerted beforehand I believe that the catalyst inside would eventually catch fire.

Edit: Roguelab has just informed me that there is at least one other catalyst that can achieve this purity.

12 Likes

I am pretty sure that Aluminum Chloride is pretty hygroscopic meaning it wouldn’t be able to be in the open like this.

Unless they were in a country where it is legal to produce?

I would really hope DCM is a clue because otherwise why in the fuck would they choose it for a solvent?

1 Like

It would if it was stored under an inert atmosphere. I don’t think that would actually work though. Specifically I think that an inerted syringe isn’t an adequate way to store a pyrophoric solid like that.

2 Likes

DCM is really good at keeping water out and can dissolve quite a bit of CBD in it at a time. It’s pretty harmful to the environment though.

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great and very useful solvent but for something “one-hitter” ish like this I would consider it a pretty foolish choice unless it was necessary. It is immiscible in water so there is that

Maybe because of its very low boiling point, and it’s increased ability to dissolve cannabinoids compared to something like n-pentane. Very likely though the author of this was inspired by the triisobutylaluminium patent that also uses DCM as the solvent

5 Likes

Other than the water issue I’d think an alcohol would be superior. I’ve purged DCM from oil before and it takes a good bit more than a bic to get below that 600ppm threshold IME. It’s certainly very volatile but when the goods get sticky, it takes some vacuum or a long time well above normal boiling point to get down that low

1 Like

That’s an interesting thought. I wonder why DCM would be used in this situation too. Could be a clue but also could be just good at keeping water out?

1 Like

Based on their prescribed solvent evaporation protocol I would guess that the main function of the DCM is that it’s easy to evaporate.

3 Likes

Diethyl ether would have been my first, less toxic choice for that but maybe they didn’t consider it an option because it is too volatile

Edit: not that I ever endorse buying solvents in a can, but it’s also substantially more available than DCM, albeit with a ton of other junk in it

1 Like

It means you will be sued, invaded, perpetuated, inviscerated, decapitated, impregnated (violently, in every orfice), and then immortalized as the very son of Satan himself.
But anyway, I’d be interested in seeing the whole file. What’s this proprietary “catalyst”? What else is provided besides a “syringe, catalyst, and borosilicate beaker”? You have piqued my interest.

4 Likes

I once read that 1ppm of ether can be smelled from 15 feet away. Seems like that would be a recipe for disaster!

That’s a solid thought, ether would be as easy to evaporate. Is diethyl ether more volatile than DCM though?

1 Like

Basically, I would do better to find myself (scalable up to 5 grams) a place to buy D9 THC?
Edit: This is a joke

3 Likes