Anyone know what this is after i dab i have a blueish black residue in the nail

I recently made some dabs 1lb closed-loop passive extractor dewaxing column packed with dry ice bottom of the machine sitting in bucket of dry ice my whole machine is around negative 40 degrees Fahrenheit when I operate it I go through 2 150 Micron screens and one 25 micron filter after I’m done dewaxing and collecting the product in the collection pot and then start my reclaim process I use a constant hot water bath set at 82 degrees Fahrenheit reclaim the butane have my tank sitting in dry ice to add with reclaim speed once it’s reclaimed I take the machine apart pour the product out and begin making whatever I’m making and then goes into the vacuum chamber for a minimum of 72 hours but this time I ended up with a bluish black residue in my nail after dabbing can anyone explain what this is from or where I went wrong

1 Like

did you distil your gas?

(run with no material and check for mystery goo)

2 Likes

I had mystery oil in my bvv gas a few times. Not sure if it would cause it to turn blue like that… What is the residue like on a q tip after you wipe it out, waxy or fine power like carbon?

Other thought, how new is this machine? Looking at your profile you are a new member and just got a 1lber… maybe you got thread tape in there or something from the manufacturing in there you can’t see. I know my system had thread tape shitting out places.

How does your bho look? are there particles in it or is it clear? Post a pic. We love pics!

Pour pics would help a lot to see the color/consistency/clarity of it straight out of the loop.

There’s another post around here that has pretty much the same thing. It was an iridescent blue black, exactly like what you have here. I don’t think that it was ever determined what the cause was…

3 Likes

Might be leftover terps oxidizing to azulene isomers.

7 Likes

This is what it looked like after i pored it out of the jars and scrapped it out it is 3 diffrent strains 3 separate 1lb blasts still needed purged at this point only pic i have and the residue is a sticky blackish blue substance like reclaim almost

3 Likes

Does that mean the leftover terps could be burnt off by heating it again and you won’t see the blue hue, possibly?

Looks like heavy metals with that anodized shine

4 Likes

Aka get your material tested

2 Likes

Wait a min, are you blasting or whipping or doing something in a silicone dish?

When I was 18 I bought thousands of silicone containers from China. I put oil in one and after some time went by the dabs had a blue resin on them. If you wash your silicone it should clean it up but silicone and residual butane is a no-no

12 Likes

That red bit holding the hash does look pretty sus.

9 Likes

I’m sure they would.

Thats plastic in your dabs homie. That whole batch is ruined

9 Likes

They were only in that silicone for a few minutes before they went into a glass pyrex dish to go in the vaccume chamber and this was after they had ben in capped jars for about 3 weeks you think there was enough tane left for it to eat silicone up that fast? Couldnt have ben in there more than 5 min before moving to pyrex you think that ruined it? Or is it mystery oil

I have some other diamonds that have never touched silicone and i am getting the same burn off left in the nail any help or advice is appreciated just not sure whats causing it both batches were made with the same butane same machine same steps but one batch had to go into silicone for about 5 min then went into the pyrex dish but both batches are producing the same blue color

1 Like

On point with that one! I had some dipasses send my wife with a sample of shatter on the plastic no stick papers & they fucking heat gunned the uline seal onto a thin plastic joint packaging. Long story short heat + non platinum cured plastics WILL ALWAYS LEACH INTO RESINS I’m not saying to take a dab of this again @Chasemitchell but if you can hook a draw up to it (vacuum apparatus) & see if you notice the oil & plastic separate cause THEY WILL. Plastic will stick to the bottom of the nail & will be hard as a rock after it’s CURED from the heat of the banger. It will also give that blue/purple hue as it dissolves. (Almost green).

Best thing you could do is lle that batch to attempt to save it.

1 Like

I’ve always thought this was the burned remnants of any pigments that might be found in a low quality extract.

If you extract the carotenes from carrots and heat the extract the same way it would be if It were a dab in a nail you get the same bluish carbon buildup.

5 Likes

Also, any extracts high in chlorophyll will cause this bluish carbon buildup 100% of the time.

This could be due to the fact that any extract that contains chlorophyll also contains every other impurity you might want to avoid. Many different compounds may be to blame.

5 Likes

I understand the plastic part but what about the dabs i have that have never ben in anything besides my extractor and a pyrex dish there are doing the same thing and when i dab it there is no hard rocks or anything stuck in there it is just a reclaim like sludge residue any thoughts on this? So it could just be chlorophyll from plant material getting into the extract if so should i be using smaller than 25 micron

1 Like