Anyone ever defat Mimosa Hostilis root bark with butane before?

Nice sublimator unit, mines gonna have an open top instead of hose connections like yours has. I plan on using liquid co2 for the cold finger.

2 Likes

add a couple soda ash washes and dry with epsom salts and you’ll have nice white crystals

2 Likes

I like to save the fumaric acid saturated acetone for after I’ve already got my goodies off my biomass. Would cost quite a bit to do the extraction in a closed loop with acetone, not only because the cost of the acetone but also the cost of new gaskets for my system lol.

4 Likes

you can get ptfe gaskets

3 Likes

I’ve got a budget to be work off of, if I was making money on the endeavor then I’d be more inclined to spend my savings on these kinds of things.

I’m pretty good about modifying procedures to work with my setup.

4 Likes

Yes, @ScoobyDoobie, I have used butane to extract MHRB. I saturated the powder with milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide in water), then dehydrated it at low temperature in an oven. I reground the material and packed the XPhase-50 (about 1oz sealed BHO extractor pipe system) loosely with fibers and powder to ensure liquid could flow. I sealed the system and froze it so I could easily fill it with butane through the upper check valve, then allowed it to warm to room temperature for an hour or so. Then I re-froze the unit to liquefy the butane once more, and expelled the liquid through the lower needle valve into a glass dish. The result was a small amount of yellow oil that smelled distinctly of DMT.

The main difficulty in this process will be flow, because bark powder is very fine. To do a larger amount of bark, I recommend a jacketed column on a heater/chiller, and making a parfait of powder & cotton layers in the column. Each layer should be about the same depth and the cotton should remain mostly uncompressed.

It is important to alkalinize the powder with aqueous base prior to extraction. You can use milk of magnesia as described above.

Cotton batting for quilting can be cut into discs and layered with the MHRB powder in the column. Fill the column with butane while chilled (just to -5°C), then close it off with some open headspace and allow it to warm up to no more than 30°C. Let sit for 1 hour, then chill again and drain through a cotton depth filter.

24 Likes

So butane was able to actually dissolve the dmt? That wasn’t my original intention but its interesting nonetheless. @Photon_noir

4 Likes

Oh, yes. I did a dry STB type extraction.

8 Likes

What was the yeild like?

1 Like

it’s been a decade since I messed with MHRB but it tends to yield in the neighborhood of 1% iirc

1 Like

I think he was asking photon what his yield was when using the process he described with the butane.

4 Likes

got my new 5L separatory funnel in from @david

he made it so much better than the last one I got from a nobody

it’s much longer for easier separation

idk if I’ll ever quit crockpot cooking a/b style

4 Likes

did you achieve the 1% with that method?

2 Likes

one would think if this way works we’d already know but I’d be blown away if it does . much faster

1 Like

I’m absolutely sure folks have thought about this before but 9/10 psychonaut labs are not as well equipped as we are.

They kind of just use whatever they have lying around for extraction. Very few even have proper glassware let alone stainless steel vessels that are able to be pressurized. So I think as far as dmt extraction goes, the average person would rather not fuck with something that aint broken i.e. heptane or hexane as the solvent.

The main reason I see that butane isn’t used is because its dangerous compared to heptane, and the dangers just aren’t necessary. Why work with something that needs to be pressurized or cold to be a liquid?

7 Likes

1% was STB with naptha and several ph 10 sodium carbonate brine rinses, followed by drying with anhydrous MgSO4 and freeze precipitated

3 Likes

I could have thought of cleaner routes but gets the job done aye?

1 Like

Aye laddy. I think that butane as a solvent will lend itself very well to larger scale extractions so once the technique becomes as mainstream as the equipment needed to do it more DMT will be available to the masses.

I’m sure companies who supply mhrb will be happy about it. Theoretically you could freeze precip directly from the butane after extraction.

3 Likes

then I’m gonna try it open blasting style and let’s put the story to bed?

what I need to do…? weigh bark for input and output numbers. make slurry w distilled water and lye. add bark stirr very well, hit correct ph ,let cool(I now have straight to basic bark)… pack open blast tube and blast? to test I’m gonna use open blast glass as not to ruin my extractor

I mean I theory one could pressurize a tank of heptane if it worked better stb

I use acacia mainly but I know where to acquire a lil mimosa

1 Like

The only attractive part of using butane in my opinion is its ease of evaporation and the fact that a lot of folks who frequent f4200 usually have a lot of butane on site.

I think that soaking the biomass in a large vessel would be a better option than trying to push solvent thru a column.

You would have to make sure you dry out your bark powder as much as possible if you want to see decent flow rates thru ur column, even if you packed it in layers like the way photon described.

2 Likes