Any interest in an affordable press to press caps in 100 carts at a time?

I’m working on a protype now that will allow you to press 100 carts at a time. I know there are others on the market but they are in the 12-15k range. I’m hoping to be able to bring this one to market for 5-6k. Just gauging interests before proceeding with building several.

10 Likes

thompson and duke made one but he said the force required to press that many at a time was to dangerous but will custom make you one if you want.

He told me they have to use a meter to measure the force it takes to cap a single one and go from there ( they where seeing pressure ranges all over the place depending on supplier)

2 Likes

Try acrylic glass carts if you’re concerned about pressure

Please need one bad

I won’t be the guy that gives this tek away but its time on a drill press, a hydraulic press, and some maths to do this.

Maybe just the press:
https://m.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html

(dont forget that your customers have access to the chinese as well)

scary

4 Likes

thompson and duke uses the same press I think. But he said some caps will require over 30tons

I posted literally the worst hydraulic press. Better to have one with a nice gauge to precisely cap. @Ascent says that they don’t recommend 100 at a time due to breaking, but I am pretty sure this is a non-issue given enough support on the cartridges and tips

here is a plunger system which is just dowels stuck in a block for lining up 100. might be better to plunge upside down into your jig first

1 Like

Few certain pressed carts can cap the tip 100 in time according to design of cart. But most of are not… I prefer to know any of Company can do the cart attached 100 at a time? Love to learn

I’ll post pics tomorrow.

He is full of shit. 100 carts can be pressed at 13 metric tons

1 Like

has anyone found a way to press 100 at a time? I thought someething like this would work but I can barley get 20 at a time.

Maybe a thick 4 inch metal tray with 100 holes drilled just to the size to hold the carts and the mouthpieces perfectly. than a a tray with 100 metal plungers on it that line up perfectly to plunge them into the tray that way it should keep everything lined up and press in perfectly the first time.

There is one huge hurdle when thinking about pressing that many at one time, psi. It compounds when you add carts, meaning the pressure needed to cap climbs substantially. Then you have the issue of spreading out the psi evenly throughout all carts. The largest mold we came across was 30pcs I believe. Our findings were that you can be faster with a simple hand operated press like this one, about 100pcs every 10-12min…

I strongly recommend a wooden dowel as the plunger, you can thank me later!

3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7KQrOTHo8X/

5 Likes

where can I get a plunger system like that to get the mouthpieces on before screwing to avoid the foam mess?

If anybody is still looking, we do have two options for cartridge presses…

The first option is built by a 3rd party, and is able to cap CCEL style press-fits using ~16T of force. It has been tested and verified working with AVDs currently.

The cost for that machine is about ~13k and I can get you in direct contact with the manufacturer.

The second option is for snap-fit style cartridges. The alignment jig design is custom-order and specific to the style cartridges you are using.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MvOgZpnqpH15vAjmc2-OYCP1VwcjTrp-/view?usp=sharing

We do not build a machine for those style carts. IMO the cost is too high, and it makes more sense to switch to snap-fit cartridges than try and cap 100 press-fits at the same time.

However, we do have a company that specifically manufacturers a machine able to do those 100 at a time. Please DM me and I will get you their contact information.

Whats wrong with the cheap dtla presses that do 100 for 500 bucks?

Never seen one actually work without breaking / snapping / high failure rates.

The force required presents a unique engineering challenge, one that we decided to not even attempt because it is easier to just switch to different carts (snap fits) if your volume dictates batch auto-capping workflows.

1 Like

Just FYI, I had a good conversation with Hogan over at Thompson Duke yesterday regarding this capping option.

Thompson Duke Industrial has acquired the rights to the capping machine in question, and they have their own internal plans for the design moving forward. The specific machine design I was referencing is no longer available through the third party.

The information and pricing I had was out of date, as I was unaware that the machine in question was in the process of being acquired by Thompson Duke Industrial. The individual who was producing these machines failed to inform either Thompson Duke or myself of ongoing discussions and we got our lines crossed.

At this time, I would suggest anybody looking for the high-pressure 100 at a time press contact Thompson Duke directly, as I will no longer be promoting that system. (Nothing against it, and although we have a friendly relationship, I am directly in competition with Thompson Duke.)

I apologize for the confusion, but would like to extend a warm thank you to the Thompson Duke team, and Hogan specifically, for reaching out to directly and opening a dialogue to clear this up. Situations like these can very easily lead to bad blood, and unnecessary animosity in the market. Their handling of the situation was extremely professional and I hope to maintain a friendly competitive relationship moving forward.

3 Likes