Announcing RSO 2.0 - An 20 Year Update to a Classic Recipe

My guess would be: he thinks I need to come back over and finish setting up @Graywolf’s SRI-GC :shushing_face:

…but I’ve been wrong before.

3 Likes

I should be placing that McMaster order today, but yes.

Here’s how you can tell @cyclopath has been in the area:

12 Likes

Hey! It’s time to stop fearing Isopropyl Alcohol. I chatted with ChatGPT and the Ephemeral One says Isopropyl is LESS toxic than Ethanol! So I asked why and here’s the response -

Me: How is Isopropyl less toxic than Ethanol?

Isopropyl alcohol is generally considered to be less toxic than ethanol, especially when ingested. This is because isopropyl alcohol is metabolized differently by the body than ethanol, and it is less able to be metabolized into toxic byproducts.

When ingested, ethanol is metabolized in the liver by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH), which converts it into acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde is a toxic compound that can cause DNA damage, alter gene expression, and contribute to the development of cancer. In addition, the metabolism of ethanol by ADH generates the compound NADH, which can lead to the accumulation of lactic acid and the development of metabolic acidosis.

On the other hand, isopropyl alcohol is not metabolized by ADH, and it is instead converted into acetone by the liver enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase. Acetone is much less toxic than acetaldehyde and does not cause the same level of DNA damage or other harmful effects on the body. As a result, isopropyl alcohol is generally considered to be less toxic than ethanol when ingested.

It is worth noting that both isopropyl alcohol and ethanol can be harmful if ingested in large amounts, and both can cause symptoms such as dizziness, drowsiness, and impaired judgment. In addition, both substances can be toxic if inhaled or absorbed through the skin, and they should be used with caution and in accordance with safety guidelines.

https://chat.openai.com/chat

1 Like

You’ve read the part where it talks a good story but is often off base?

Large Language Models (LLMs) are trained to produce plausible text, not true statements. ChatGPT is shockingly good at sounding convincing on any conceivable topic. But OpenAI is clear that there is no source of truth during training. That means that using ChatGPT in its current form would be a bad idea for applications like education or answering health questions. Even though the bot often gives excellent answers, sometimes it fails badly. And it’s always convincing, so it’s hard to tell the difference.

ChatGPT is a bullshit generator. But it can still be amazingly useful

Due diligence requires you back this up with citations…

Not saying the thesis is wrong. Simply that ChatGTP has the demonstrable ability to write well organized nonsense, so taking its word as gospel is unwise

Asking for a second opinion yields the following…

8 Likes

Isopropyl alcohol: ORAL (LD50): Acute: 5045 mg/kg [Rat]. 3600 mg/kg [Mouse]. 6410 mg/kg [Rabbit].

In two guideline studies, the LD50 of ethanol was determined to be in the region 10000 to 10500mg/kgbw when dosed at concentrations of 80 -95% in water.

Are those comparable?
Are the ethanol numbers for humans?

Dunno…but I’m sticking with ethanol, and will not be taking medical advice from a chatbot just yet…

6 Likes

Good Call. I challenged its statement and got a correction. So the answeres tend to be a moving target.

Me: you said “On the other hand, isopropyl alcohol is not metabolized by ADH and is instead converted into acetone by a different liver enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH)” . is ADH the same in both cases?

Yes, I apologize for the confusion in my previous response. Alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) is the enzyme responsible for the metabolism of ethanol, which is the primary type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages. It is also the enzyme responsible for the conversion of isopropyl alcohol (also known as isopropanol or 2-propanol) into acetone.
ADH is a family of enzymes that is found in a variety of organisms, including humans, and is responsible for the oxidation of a variety of alcohols. In the case of ethanol, ADH catalyzes the conversion of ethanol to acetaldehyde, which is then further metabolized to acetate by aldehyde dehydrogenase.
In the case of isopropyl alcohol, ADH also catalyzes the conversion of isopropyl alcohol to acetone through a series of chemical reactions that involve the transfer of a hydrogen atom from the isopropyl alcohol molecule to a coenzyme called NAD+. This process results in the formation of acetone and NADH, which can be further metabolized to produce energy for the body.
I apologize for any confusion my previous response may have caused. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Lol you actually posted, in a totally serious way, that IPA is safer to ingest than ethanol :man_facepalming:t2:

5 Likes

Hi @MimiEmu and @Graywol What about them flavonoids. The active synergistic molecules in cannabis that contribute to smell like flavonoids which are phenolic… they are major constituents of flavor in the plant which are unfortunately water soluble. So yes we love terps, but save the flavonoids too. they help cannabis taste enjoyable. :smiley:

I was too enthralled with the molecular metabolism, which as a normal course of metabolism, acetone is safely expelled. BUT this doesn’t scale to drinking quantities as implied by the conclusion. Isopropyl is more lethal that Ethanol as the LD50 quantity is about 20% lower than Ethanol.

1 Like

Explore the ld50 for ethanol vs isopropanol and explain which is more toxic…

LD50 is a measure of the lethal dose of a substance that is required to kill 50% of a test population. It is often used to compare the toxicity of different substances.

The LD50 of ethanol (also known as ethyl alcohol or grain alcohol) in rats is reported to be around 7,060 milligrams per kilogram of body weight (mg/kg). This means that it would take a dose of around 7,060 mg/kg of ethanol to kill 50% of a group of rats.

The LD50 of isopropyl alcohol (also known as isopropanol) in rats is reported to be around 4,660 mg/kg. This means that it would take a lower dose of isopropyl alcohol to kill 50% of a group of rats compared to ethanol.

Based on these LD50 values, it can be concluded that isopropyl alcohol is more toxic than ethanol. This means that it takes a lower dose of isopropyl alcohol to produce lethal effects compared to ethanol.

It’s worth noting that LD50 values can vary depending on the specific test species and the route of exposure (e.g., oral, dermal, inhalation). It’s also important to note that LD50 values should not be used to directly compare the toxicity of different substances in humans, as the LD50 values for different substances can vary significantly between species. Instead, LD50 values are generally used to provide an indication of the relative toxicity of different substances in a specific test species

1 Like

In making CBDa oil (not decarbed up front), I retain a lot of the terps, very noticable flavor difference versus making oil from decarbed plant. The terps not saved are ones with boiling points under 200f.

How do you feel about this automagically generated “sop for Rso production using isopropanol”

Here is an example standard operating procedure (SOP) for producing Rick Simpson Oil (RSO) using isopropyl alcohol:

1. Gather all necessary materials and equipment. This will include isopropyl alcohol, cannabis material, a large glass jar with a lid, a stirring stick, a coffee filter or cheesecloth, and a storage container.
  2. Grind the cannabis material and place it in the glass jar.
  3. Add enough isopropyl alcohol to the jar to fully cover the cannabis material.
  4. Close the jar and shake it vigorously for several minutes to extract the active compounds from the cannabis material.
  5. Allow the mixture to sit for at least an hour, shaking it periodically to ensure thorough extraction.
  6. Strain the mixture through the coffee filter or cheesecloth to separate the liquid from the plant material.
  7. Discard the plant material and pour the liquid into the storage container.
  8. Allow the liquid to evaporate until it reaches the desired consistency. This can be sped up by placing the container in a warm, well-ventilated area.
  9. Once the liquid has reached the desired consistency, it is ready to be used. Store the RSO in a cool, dark place until it is needed.

It’s important to follow proper safety precautions when handling isopropyl alcohol, including wearing protective equipment such as gloves and eye protection. It’s also important to keep the isopropyl alcohol away from open flames, as it is flammable.

Not a horrible starting point, but hardly definitive…

3 Likes

This works out to 252ml of Isopropyl and 353ml of Ethanol for a 125lbs person.
Here’s a little spreadsheet to calculate amounts. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MtzAzKUxD7qe6Y51i4b9XAP3BLIB_7j5/view?usp=share_link

The original ‘recipe’ with old assumptions. Best recipe in the world for making crude tar, aka, La Brea!

solvent removal seems rather minimalist when compared to Rick’s version.

1 Like

For to saving terps, thats the best approach. Graywolf used that approach in his QWISO procedure, using pyrex pans and a big fan. Rick Simpson moved the wash into an open boiler, ie, crock pot and boiled it down. He added 10 drops of water for the final reduction.

Ok but…

If we ingest isopropyl for the same fun enhancing reasons as ethanol…

Is it less central nervous system damage per unit of fun?

I know it tastes terrible… But a good bartender can mask all sorts of flavours

Perhaps more pointedly… If one’s only goal is to get inebriated, and is doing so in appropriate volumes… Isn’t isopropyl safer?

3 Likes

Valid questions.
Not ones I’d leave to a known bullshit artist to solve :shushing_face:

I used the iso to clean my rig, and I’m gonna use EtOH and some heavy whipping cream to make a version of the Dudes favorite drink that I call a Cascasian…(it just rolls off the drunken tongue so swell)

Here’s hoping we get better at co-cooperation next year.

5 Likes

Dude this info isnt correct

2 Likes

Seems like GI issues are much more common from iso than ethanol

Anyhow

Cheers! Here’s to 2023