Announcing RSO 2.0 - An 20 Year Update to a Classic Recipe

Greetings!

Today, February 1st, is the public launch of “RSO 2.0”, an update to the 20 year old original RSO process. The update is a radical, cost effective, approach to safely creating cleaner oil at home using only kitchen utensils. For all the progress that’s been made in the extraction field in the past 20 years, RSO has been left behind. Today that changes -

1. Introducing a Room Temperature winterization.
  2. Exploiting Isopropyl’s Super Power safely at home.
  3. Distilling in Brine water to cleanse and protect the oils.
  4. Low temperature extractions to save CBDA/THCA. Important for today if
    the acidic state can impede COVID from entering cells.

Check out www.CannabisHomeSciences.com to explore a radical new approach to making RSO.

…MimiEMU

17 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Posts that were written; never meaning to send

EDIT Read a bit more…

1 Like

Don’t know why it wouldn’t be called feco, because that’s what it’s called.
He didn’t invent it, he gave shitty advice to novice chemists, and he is rude as fuck to Americans so he can eat a dick

5 Likes

Howdy,

The super power of Isopropyl is its ability to be separated from water with table salt. By using Brine (4 parts water, 1 part table salt) in distillation, the hydrogen bonds that hold the water and alcohol together in an Azeotrope state, are broken while in an aqueous state. This means, the alcohol is free from water, and it physically separates into two layers, alcohol & oil on top, brine on the bottom. This is huge. With the Azeotrope suspended in solution, the alcohol can be completely evaporated at 150f, saving terps and avoiding unintentional decarbing. This cant be done under normal conditions, ie, original RSO process. Ethanol requires Potassium Carbonate to do this, but it pushes the pH to 10 and above, great if you want to make soap… Here’s the post on safely using Isopropyl, with more detail and references. Cannabis Home Sciences - Isopropyl Alcohol Controversy

6 Likes

more info…

Take a look at the graphic in this article on moonshining stripping run. this shows you what to expect when boiling off and saving the alcohol in the stripping run. The alcohol and water remain in the Azeotrope state for the duration. This means some water is included in the vapors that get recondensed, at increasing rates. That increasing rate is key. As long as the Azeotrope is stable, water will always influence the evaporation.

But with the Azeotrope suspended, 99.99% of the Isopropyl could evaporate without water impeding its progress. Doing a moonshiners Spirit Run with Isopropyl will have a competely different curve in the jar samples. It would be 95% Isopropyl across the board.

1 Like

How is a full spec distillate not the end all of rso?

2 Likes

Its great if you can make it in the kitchen just using kitchen utensils.

2 Likes

If any of the non-cannabinoid constituents are responsible for or synergistic with your therapeutic goals.

We know there are LOTS of secondary metabolites. We’ve studied or are studying the isolated cannabinoids.

The same cannot be said for most of the other Non-cannabinoid constituents

11 Likes

Thank you! People wondered why I insisted on using RSO for topicals

1 Like

Couldn’t you use a separatory funnel once you have a brine layer and an alcohol layer? Lots of home made sep funnel techniques out there, so it doesn’t need to be expensive labware.

That is a classic way to condense Isopropyl ( get you to ~95%) when salting out. you still need to evap off the alcohol to save the oil and the deal with residual solvents . Adding a half hour of time to the Brine distillation has shown to be the fastest way to fix that. Yeah, given a few days, you could get there.

I’ve bought 5 different gravy separators and tried gallon baggies at angles. It’s just more area space to have to clean up. It’s easier to keep the oil one place and collect it.

BTW, here’s the online users guide. Feel free to add comments and mail it back to me.

Wow, I found it…

I didn’t have a good technical description of the Silting step until today. Here it is in one paragraph…

Enzymatic Degumming of Rice Bran Oil Using Different Commercial Phospholipases and Their Cocktails

Phospholipids are classified according to their degree of hydration (hydratable and
non-hydratable). Hydratable phospholipids (HPL) become insoluble in oil in the presence
of water and are easily separated by centrifugation. Most non-hydratable phospholipids
(NHPL) are complexed with calcium (Ca), magnesium (Mg), and iron (Fe) salts, and to be
removed, they need the addition of a chelating agent (citric acid or EDTA) to sequester
metal ions, allowing their precipitation and separation by centrifugation [5,6].

This is how Silting is different than Winterization. Silting knocks out Phospholipids with water and acid. Winterization freezes and crystalizes the waxes which then settle out. Both are needed, one doesn’t replace the other.

Silting needs deeper study for optimization. I’m not using heat, but it is used in the industrial scale. The optimal amount of water & acid need to be deduced. Optimal residence times need to be deduced. The end product has to be pH neutral. If you replace club soda with Body Armor pH9.5, it affects the cannabinoids… Whole new rabbit hole… One really interesting thing that can be done, take the pH to 7 and let sit for 6 hours. A whole new science is invoked - Isoelectric Focusing known as IEF. Proteins precipitate at pH 7. The filter pads will go light green@1hr to almost black@12hrs. Its safe to assume the proteins are denatured (as a result of 90%+ alcohol wash). The proteins expose a non-polar side and bond to oil. So i think that is an emulsion. Its a protein rich dark green creamy emulsion and has a kick! It maybe a good base for a suave.

Enough for now…

2 Likes

What about terpenes that mix in the awueous brine layer.

No way saving them unless a fast low slow.

Or am I missing something?

Hydrocarbons are non-polar so they will be safe in the brine. Given terps vaporize at room temp, low heat will be necessary to salvage what can be saved. You can run the entire process as low as 120f and still remove all Isopropyl. Downside is 120f takes 9085 minutes, or 6.29 days to decarb.

1 Like

Not all terpenes are hydrocarbons.

Hence terpenophenolics… Check out the decarb under pressure tread, might be usefull…

Edit: i think a pressure coocker for potatoes would be a home diy solution forya

1 Like

Ummmm, how are not all terpenes hydrocarbons?

terpene

tûr′pēn″

noun

1. Any of various unsaturated hydrocarbons, C10H16, found in essential oils and oleoresins of plants such as conifers and used in organic syntheses.
  2. Any one of a class of hydrocarbons having the common formula C10H16, found chiefly in essential oils and resins.
  3. Any one of a series of isomeric hydrocarbons of pleasant aromatic odor, occurring especially in coniferous plants and represented by oil of turpentine, but including also certain hydrocarbons found in some essential oils.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

1 Like

Greetings,

This morning, Cannabis Home Sciences is announcing a major breakthrough in making Rick Simpson Oil at Home. Take a look at this video, a real Charles Goodyear moment of accidentally discovering how to make vulcanized rubber…

This is @PharmExOregon doing the pour, I’m making the video. What you are seeing is what I call ‘Brine Isopropyl Degumming’. In order to keep down the typing, I’ve created this writeup (sorry for all the hyperbole as its meant for the consumer market.). Here’s how it works…

Basically, you can now degum by extracting with 99% ISO (91% works too…), add brine, shake, and the phospholipids precipitate in clouds of particulate, similar to a Snow Globe. Not only that, but the brine wash also absorbs proteins, sugars, acids, trichome shells. NO FILTERING NEEDED!!! Just siphon off the alcohol layer and you’re ready to reduce to oil…

Give it a try. Here’s the the Operating Procedure in a Quick Start format.

Brine Isopropyl Degumming is great for making RSO at home, some thought will have to go into to take this to industrial scale. 91% ISO does work which means you can recycle your alcohol with simple distillation.

2 Likes

What are your thoughts, @PharmExOregon?

2 Likes