... and the solvent in the tube goes round and round

Oh! The one with the pump. I do recall now. Im gonna have to do some more digging, had a lot to deal with after the fires this summer kinda bumped me off track of keeping up on all this ever so changing industry.

2 Likes

Thats pretty neat

Nice pump too

yessā€¦ check out old sugar beet extractors called ā€œdiffusion batteries.ā€ I havenā€™t worked with butane etc. but passing solvent through several ā€˜activeā€™ columns while servicing a spent column is best way to increase extract potency and efficiency. Need some clever piping but thatā€™s how our lipid infuser works.

1 Like

I agree that the recirc could have a higher efficacy vs soaking. Iā€™m just speculating on how much time you could shave off while seeing the same or increased yield/quality. Going in circles sounds kinda fun.

3 Likes

yeah, thatā€™s @Indofabā€™s work. from a year or so ago.

the one I need to get online is using two jacketed 6"x 24" spools and a debeem boxer mini in stainless.

same advantages of the one @Photon_noir built, but with the added benefit that there are two, so the operator no longer has the excuse that the last guy ā€œused up the media and didnā€™t change itā€¦ā€

apparently it looks enough like the ETS from which it was spawned that Iā€™ve mistaken it for an actual extractor :wink:

2 Likes

what pressures and solvent?
can you manage a flow cell?
the arometrix device is a little spendy, but inline analytics are where itā€™s atā€¦

2 Likes

we monitor each column for completion vs straight volume.
massive decrease in solvent use and run times.

3 Likes

for depletion?

with recirc you look for plateauā€¦

2 Likes

so, are we making the assumption that the biomass output wonā€™t be suitable for dabbing?

Right now Iā€™m still operating under the assumption that you are using THC biomass, in which case separating the first pass would make sense. If you used a battery style setup with multiple material columns, you could pretty easily collect the initial runs separately and continue to recirculate solvent through the other columns into a separate vessel for distillate crude, no?

That would allow minimal downtime and longer runs, fully strip the biomass, and not mix grades of product. I think extractioneering does something similar(albeit without recirculation) for their hcfse and rind lines with separate collections

4 Likes

that seems like another approach. no. Iā€™m trying to increase extraction efficiency without increasing post processing.

which I agree is non-trivial.

using -70C solvent, trying to get away with the amount I can fit in the biggest tank I could trivially acquire (125lb actual solvent).

1 Like

Where would you mount it anyways? I get it, just confused as to proper placement, sight glass?

I run 30lbs through an 8-10lb 6x48 and have the same yields I did with the same material on my 4ā€ system

30lbs of solvent to 8-10lbs of bio?

Yeah 30lbs per 6x48

2 Likes

flood and percolate?

1 Like

Seems a little low on solvent to bio ratio there. I feel like there was already a thread about that though.

Agreed, Iā€™m running ~30lbs over a 4x48 (holding between 3.5-4lbs)

1 Like

I used bottom flooding columns on all my designs except for the Lil Terp. It provides uniform wetting, vents the vapors preventing a complete fill, and allows precise metering.

If you time how long it takes to overflows, you know exactly how long it takes to flow one column volume at actual packing and flow.

I also played around with ā€œsonicationā€ using a closed open blaster and got higher yield, though it wasnā€™t at subzero temperatures and most of the extra were non targeted elements.

You can also flood a horizontal column with an elbow on the end to fully vent.

22 Likes

Extractioneerings rind is simply the fats and thc fraction of his separation. The hcfse and Htfse are the other side of the separation but separated further.

Ive found that the pressure at which you extract has a correlation to yeilds, especially when using socks. When extracting at -40C with a 6:1 wash ratio at 75 psi I see 96% return using a 6x48. My pack density is 3.32g/CuIn which also plays a big role, when my pack density goes down so does my extraction efficiency. Solvent blend is 50/50 N/ISO

I think its important to look at how you flood your column aswell. I flood my column with my bottom ball valve closed and fit between 23-25# before I cannot get any more solvent in the column. I then crack the bottom valve and let 6lbs a minute flow over the column.

7 Likes

It s out of the box thinking to have a horizontal
Biomass chamber
But the agitation the agitation is really a good thought :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes