... and the solvent in the tube goes round and round

Room temp yes. Ice cold at best after a run or two.

1 Like

the real object of the game is to get the yield up without increasing times.

imo a 10 min soak with “covered” (which is 25lb to 5lb biomass) is not enough solvent nor enough time…but running another 25lb of solvent takes more time than the extra yield justifies (not my math, but having done it a couple of times I tend to agree) and soaking longer just takes, well you know, longer…and effects quality if you’re using vacuum jackets rather than actively chilled jackets on your columns.

5 Likes

yeah this ^^^

having built a two column recirculating CRC with a liquid pump and post magic dirt bag filter, the concept of NOT putting two bags of weed in there and comparing recirculate to soak seems rather irresponsible.

…it takes the same size bags.

Edit: that would explain what the 12X12 jacketed honey pots that showed up from the past on Friday are for…

5 Likes

I think it’s only fair to science that it be pursued

The one I want to do with our percolator is pull samples from the micelle every couple of minutes and see when the solute concentration plateaus

4 Likes

Im actually out of the loop on the recirc CRC… can you link me

2 Likes

maybe @Soxhlet and @Indofab can show you (more) pictures of theirs…

https://www.instagram.com/p/B76pBHwhR_t/

I think @Photon_noir explained the concept in the Opaline Silica Thread and there are probably pictures of the dual 3" unit I built based on his work.

5 Likes

Oh! The one with the pump. I do recall now. Im gonna have to do some more digging, had a lot to deal with after the fires this summer kinda bumped me off track of keeping up on all this ever so changing industry.

2 Likes

Thats pretty neat

Nice pump too

yess… check out old sugar beet extractors called “diffusion batteries.” I haven’t worked with butane etc. but passing solvent through several ‘active’ columns while servicing a spent column is best way to increase extract potency and efficiency. Need some clever piping but that’s how our lipid infuser works.

1 Like

I agree that the recirc could have a higher efficacy vs soaking. I’m just speculating on how much time you could shave off while seeing the same or increased yield/quality. Going in circles sounds kinda fun.

3 Likes

yeah, that’s @Indofab’s work. from a year or so ago.

the one I need to get online is using two jacketed 6"x 24" spools and a debeem boxer mini in stainless.

same advantages of the one @Photon_noir built, but with the added benefit that there are two, so the operator no longer has the excuse that the last guy “used up the media and didn’t change it…”

apparently it looks enough like the ETS from which it was spawned that I’ve mistaken it for an actual extractor :wink:

2 Likes

what pressures and solvent?
can you manage a flow cell?
the arometrix device is a little spendy, but inline analytics are where it’s at…

2 Likes

we monitor each column for completion vs straight volume.
massive decrease in solvent use and run times.

3 Likes

for depletion?

with recirc you look for plateau…

2 Likes

so, are we making the assumption that the biomass output won’t be suitable for dabbing?

Right now I’m still operating under the assumption that you are using THC biomass, in which case separating the first pass would make sense. If you used a battery style setup with multiple material columns, you could pretty easily collect the initial runs separately and continue to recirculate solvent through the other columns into a separate vessel for distillate crude, no?

That would allow minimal downtime and longer runs, fully strip the biomass, and not mix grades of product. I think extractioneering does something similar(albeit without recirculation) for their hcfse and rind lines with separate collections

4 Likes

that seems like another approach. no. I’m trying to increase extraction efficiency without increasing post processing.

which I agree is non-trivial.

using -70C solvent, trying to get away with the amount I can fit in the biggest tank I could trivially acquire (125lb actual solvent).

1 Like

Where would you mount it anyways? I get it, just confused as to proper placement, sight glass?

I run 30lbs through an 8-10lb 6x48 and have the same yields I did with the same material on my 4” system

30lbs of solvent to 8-10lbs of bio?

Yeah 30lbs per 6x48

2 Likes