Amine White Paper, Butane Manufacture Demystified

Hello F42K

I have been lurking on here for quite some time, and recently decided to make an account to discuss these fast crashing issues everyone is so concerned about.

I am not sure how many of you folks have already read this paper, but I found it to be quite informative and I would like to share it with the collective.
The white paper is written in regard to the filtration of solid contaminants from an Amine scrubbing plant’s process flow-
This process of passing the hydrocarbon blend through a solution of Alkanoamine and water is used to remove H2S and CO2 (Acidic contaminants, one highly toxic, and the other benign-ish) from “Sour Gas” to yield “Sweet Gas”

The paper does a great job in explaining how amines are used in the butane manufacturing process, and may lead to some clues as to how and why they suddenly became an issue for this industry in early 2021.

I have my own theories as to how and why the so called “medusa stone” suddenly reared its ugly head but I am keeping them to myself, for now.

anyhow, read up, get smarter, science more:

5 Likes
1 Like

The whitepaper link you’ve provided is not preferred by my browser’s safeguards and thus I cannot access it reliably. Feel free to upload it yourself using the F42k host so it can be downloaded.

As for your subject matter, a lot of this has been discussed and established as known potential factors or causation of the phenomenon. There are a few discussion threads about this already, and if you read up on them, you’ll see your conclusion matches that of the sentiment established by the community to date.

3 Likes

Do you mean we are lucky to have you?
As if sour gas remediation and what happened in 2021 has not come to our attention? and you have theories of your own! We are indeed lucky. If you would like to read a 20page introduction to a Ph.d. Thesis on micro states of H2O found in aprotic solvents (not butane) that can not be removed, you too can “get smarter, science more”.

Copy and paste as url.

Here they are working with salicylic acids (similar to cannabinoids) in aprotic solvents. My error referring to it as microstates of water in Butane .

Waiting for the punch line…

2 Likes

I would love to read the paper please link

sorry that I am late to the discussion but I was not able to find anyone talking specifically and in detail about the gas production process, only alluding to it.

Amine-White-Paper.pdf (1.3 MB)

Here is the uploaded doc