Air conditioning a garage

“Lab” in HUGE quotations

I just wanna clear my garage out and clean/replace the cabinets and desks, preferably just remove and swap out with new ones(at least the counter/tabletop as its dirty beyond saving same with the top cabinets) then getting it completely air conditioned and temperature controlled for optimal working conditions, food storage conditions and cart storing conditions and maybe in the future some small time lab/food equipment like a centrifuge, industrial/commercial fridge, 2-3 electric stoves, purging/vac oven and more.

Any idea where I can start with getting it temp controlled/air conditioned? I live in a very humid/hot state during the summer. Thinking of insulating the garage door first.

1 Like

Dont do that, you might hurt it’s feelings…

4 Likes

Thanks.

dammit you stupid piece of metal do something

1 Like

DIY mini-splits are the way to go. There are a few manufactures that sell DIY kits that don’t require buying refrigerant if the tube run is <25ft. But if you know a cool HVAC guy they can purge and fill in less than an hour.

4 Likes

Insulating anywhere that cool air can escape is definitely a good place to start.

First figure out how hot it gets on average, desired temperature + humidity conditions — then choose how you’ll cool everything down depending on the differences.

Do you have anything to circulate air at the moment? You’d be surprised by how much cooler a garage can be by having just a little more air movement when the garage door is closed.

2 Likes

A ceiling fan. Its already significantly cooler in there too then it is outside, but not air conditioned like inside, and if I add insulation it would be way cooler than. Thinking garage door, and the side next to the other side door and maybe even walling that side door off to turn into a small storage closet in the future, I’m getting ahead of myself however.

But yes only a ceiling fan, to help cool.

Back at my old place, our garage was super cool in high temps during the summer because we had a ton of shade from the tree canopy.

If one of the sides on your garage is getting beat by the sun, a canopy/pergola does wonders. Highly recommend that if direct solar energy is the main culprit of heat.

5 Likes

Gotta seal it up. A while back my first garage setup was all dandy during the winter when I moved in but it turned into a sweaty hell when summer came. Didn’t even see it coming living in a desert :sweat_smile:.

it didn’t have dry wall so we just finished the job and threw fiberglass insulation sheets in between the beams and then sealed it off with black plastic sheets.

In your case you can add an extra layer of rigid insulation around the perimeter but if it is built properly it’s already insulated.

Your main trouble is the garage door. Which you can cut rigid foam insulation and place them on the door. If you don’t plan on using the door once you setup shop you can seal it off.

Insulating garage doors

After all that throw a ductless mini-split in there that fits the SqFt of your space from homedepot. It’s actually an easy setup, the hard part is the electrical which you will need an electrician to install.

:v::grin:

4 Likes

The garage door is the one being ass pounded by heat. Its white too so it reflects a lot as well.

Thanks boss:) can check out some mini splits at work today and see whats available and get my square footage of the garage.

First need to insulate the garage door, seal the gaps and bottom on both sides and check around. The walls I believe are done, have shade on both sides of my walls too except for that damned door

1 Like

I actually have a background in buildings, fairly extensive, and I can definitely help you with this. First question, is the garage shaded by trees or exposed to more than 2 hrs of sunlight between 10am and 6pm? What is the orientation on a compass of the ridgeline of the structure and what is the roofing material, shingles, metal, etc.? What is the siding material? What is your budget? How hot is the hottest month versus how cold is the coldest month?

3 Likes

I just got a huge window unit 24k btu made by GE, it does work. 700 bucks out the door at Lowe’s. Mini splits are better but more expensive.

1 Like

I have an attic above my garage. The garage door and roof is only thing getting sun I believe

Mini split will probably be my go to if its truly worth it.

Also appreciate the help a lot:) I’ll take measurements when I’m home

Its worth it, get a 3ton and insulate the whole garage if it isnt, frame in the garage door if u dont need to open it and stuff it full of fiberglass insulation.

If u really wanna spend a lot of money, closed cell foam the whole thing then put in a 2 ton minisplit.

3 tons is overkill for a insulated 2 car garage in LA.

3 Likes

The nice thing about a mini split is the ability to heat with them as well.

2 Likes

My friend has a temperature and humidity contolled garage. The coolest part is he built a wall at the garage door, when the door opens from the outside he has shelves and hangers for his yard and auto tools. From the inside the wall doubles as a workbench. It has a lowered ceiling on the inside and the door slides on top / in the attic so it’s completely insulated.

4 Likes

Wow.

Thats my dream setup

I’m not in LA but my state is just as hot probably worse.

Will do a 3ton

On a hot day with lights on i have to set it as low as it’ll go to keep the canopy under 90f. Gotta couple lights in there tho