Air conditioning a garage

It would just be another light in there, with me and 2-3 others at max.

I plan on sealing the garage door, and eventually converting the side door into a small closet for storage of things.

Attic will be used to store whatever I clear out of the garage.

Just gonna clean it up first then get the mini split. Would I need to hire a cleaning crew to help replace cabinets and clean it in general into a suitable work place?

I ran this 4x8 2" sheeting in my shipping container. Every side, including floor. Ran me like $1000, just glued it on with a bunch of liquid nails, then permanent attached with unistrut. Gets me R-14 on each outside wall, which is better than spray foam for that thickness, and like 1/4 the cost.

The entire 40’ high cube costs me like $200 ish a month to run. Including LED’s. And I still haven’t burnt out a 20lb tank of CO2 yet.

4 Likes

Probably gonna do that then on my door and seal it off. Would I put the mylar reflective ones on inside or outside?

1 Like

Depends on the sheets you get. The supr-tuff is mylar on both sides. Mylar is supposed to face in.

1 Like

Ok.

Probably gonna get one sided mylar sheets or whichever is superior

The Super Tuff-R and one other have the R-14 value. Both run about $50 a sheet. All the other sheets I saw were garbage, or way over priced/specialty.

I’ll check home depot

mini split- and if you can run a bho closed loop you can install ac yourself. They sell refrigerant on ebay if you dont get a diy system.

1 Like

What are you going to do when the metal starts sweating in the gaps behind the insulation??

That container is going to pour water off of it.

1 Like

The container does not sweat. I have put a few holes into the insulation to run security cameras, irrigation well, wireless back haul, etc. Bone fucking dry. I’ll dump 40 gallons of water into soil pots and at best the room will reach 75 RH for maybe an hour. Oh. I run my grows hot a balls too. 80-90 easy.

I calculated the BTU of my equipment and bought an over sized heat pump/dehumidifier.

The container was also strategically placed on a gravel pad, inside a low lying river plain in a mountain valley covered by trees.

I swear by containers now. I’ll never grow any other way. Perfect control.

4 Likes

We’ll have to agree to disagree then. Ive grown in containers and know folks growing in containers who’ve insulated them the same way you have….

How old is the container? Gone through winter yet?

I’m guessing not if your still on the first 20lb co2 tank.

Winter is coming and the air between your insulation and metal is going to sweat.

I’m not trying to speak in absolutes here, but this is the problem with metal containers. I speak from experience

@TwistedStill care to comment here?

2 Likes

Im not in a state where moisture in winter is an issue

I also have cold dry new england winter’s.

So have you gone through winter yet? You didn’t respond to that question

Your garden is a sealed environment… the humidity is created by your plants inside the container… cold dry outside air makes no difference

1 Like

Outside environment plays a role yes. If its hot outside it will be hot inside as well, and your tent will be hotter.

Im not growing in my garage either, thats suicide for my plants. I’m turning it into a product storage and work area

I have not been through a winter yet in this container. I have been through winters in metal buildings.

Honestly I think alot of your problems with sweating came from an under engineered container, or a problem controlling humidity.

Once you have hung the panels, you need to spray in every single crack crevice and hole, once that has been completed you need to compression fit the panels using unistrut, basically lightly compressing them against the wall. After that you can use a primer or a waterproof paint to add an extra layer of sealant. If there is no way for moist atmosphere or water to contact the metal, there will be no condensation. Especially if you are controlling the environment of a flowering container.

4 Likes

I grew in reefer containers

Never had that issue

The only thing I have to say about container growing is that it’s good for veg but lacks the ceiling height for rolling benches and HPS

Fun fact

6 gavita led veg as good as 24 315cmh

4 Likes

“Hey boss why you got so many shipping containers?”

“Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh”

Well yeah, refers are fully insulated.

@vortal all the extra filler you put in there will surely do the job. I was under the impression you just slapped foam board on there…. Which would have been completely fucked… my apologies, carry on

3 Likes

If moisture can find the inside of the exterior container wall…what you’ve got is a 5 sided condenser in the winter. If you’ve sealed it all up then hopefully you’ll be ok. Spray foam insulation is my personal solution.

Maybe you live in a region where the inside of the exterior container wall will never reach the dew point temp of your grow environment…if so then you’ll be fine.

Containers suck because they’re narrow and cramped. I’d much prefer a wider grow space.

3 Likes