Advice on what to do with this green etho extract

Hey guys. So, recently we’ve begun ethanol extraction and so far it’s been a win across the board as far as throughput, and general workflow. Thus far our crude yields have surpassed the yields we were experiencing with the bho system, which of course could be from not using the bho system 100% efficiently. Anyways, we were curious to see if or how much we were leaving behind in our bho runs… thing is, I use a plastic bit and drill gun to empty out my columns, which makes the material into a super fine ground texture l, essentially massacring cell walls etc… so we decided to re run all that material thru our etho setup… this also double as a test material to get our actual work flow down. But because the material was not only run once, but then ground into dust almost, the etho extract came out super green. Everything was always -50c, so I’m assuming it just still picking up tons of chlorophyl because of the ground dust consistancy. My question is, what would
Be simplest and most productive move to do with this? I was gonna rotovap it and then distill it, but I fear it’s just going to stain all my stuff green. Of course, I’ve been told simple sunlight can eliminate chlorophyl. So, simply put, should I go ahead and roto/distill this to see if I get anything good out? Or should I def do something to it before to avoid having green glass everywhere? I also assume it’s gonna pull a lot of nasty green in the spd. Is there actually any benefit to leave this jug out in the sun? Is that a myth? It’s not particularly worth incorporating a bunch of filtering or anything. We just are curious to see if we were really leaving a bunch of thc behind on our prior processes.

So… -50c etho extract of already ran bho material, that has been reduced to dust consistency, that is super green. What would you do ?

Thanks as always. At the very least, it served as a test to figure out the best work flow

Start with a winteriization i often see a lot of chlorophyl in the fats even thou you extracted at -50C
Then waterwashing and brine washing are the best techs to get chlorofyl out
But can be a bitch time consuming
@Beaker had a tech for this with iso propanol and water
Bringing it to a boil for 1 hour let all iso evap of add iso again and then filter over alumina if not mistaken
Have a look might be a good option
Never tried it

3 Likes

I will investigate those options for sure! Like I said, it’s not particularly worth too much trouble. We were just curious to see if we can squeeze some goods out of it since our new etho yeilds are much higher. Maybe I’ll put the effort into cleaning this up and running it and then deciding if it’s worth the effort. We only have a few bins of the run once stuff but it adds up

with that being said, would it be completely stupid to just rotovap and short path this shit?

Carbon scrubbing. Probably 2-3 times. Look at some of my prior posts. This is what the shittier stuff from warm washes look like on normal material yielding decent oil for distillate.

3 Likes

I will look into the carbon scrub as well! I think I tried carbon scrubbing once way back with limited results but I didn’t put a ton of effort into it. Thanks guys

Ton of wrong ways to do it. Gotta do it right or there will be no effect.

Off I go to the “carbon scrub” search bar :slight_smile:

1 Like

Warm carbon scrub

Maybe a AO/celite filter after the scrub.

1 Like

Just looking around at what I have on hand today, would celite 545 or some organic charcoal powder be of assistance? I’m about to dig in on the carbon scrub knowledge and see what I need. Just wondering if any of those would help at all since I have them today

I have an etoh color remediation thread. Search green grinch. Went from.super nasty black/green to a beautiful clear red.

3 Likes

Charcoal comes in many types but not all do the trick but sure you can try
A warm scrub works best
Solventless oil 5% weight of oil in acrivated carbon at 90C for 30 min
Ad solvent 2 solvent 1 oil by volume and filter treu a 1/2 celite bed
rotavap of solvent

2 Likes

Incredible Hulk fist gummies! Problem solved :smile:

2 Likes

Problem with % of weight by oil is a lot of the time they have no idea how much oil is in the tincture. Usually gotta tell them % of carbon by volume or how much carbon per liter of solution etc. mines very similar to yours tho. I just alter almost every one of my steps just a tad. Funny I was like check check check down your list but I do every single one different amounts of percentages or ratios etc

1 Like

When you say solventless, I assume that means I should roto this etho mix first? My main concern is just having all my glass stained green for now lol

VNo worry s glass won t stain pull some vac on the roto for your etho to boil of around 60 C you can once evaped all of use the roto to do the scrub
Might want to place a hose on the exaust of the vac pump and place the end in a bucket with water and fabric Softner for the stinch
Weigh your roto flask empty :grin:

I don’t like picking people’s brains for available info. So I’ll do as much footwork as I can on how to properly do the scrub. And then bug you for details :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I owe you endensome so no worry s
It s nice to see you grow and develop in this busniss :fist_left:

1 Like

I’m Just a dummy in a pond full of smarty pants. Thanks for all your advice along the way my dude

1 Like

Here ya go

Yours possibly cant be as green as mine.

1 Like