Active Vs passive recovery speed

3/8" or 1/2" if you can afford it.

6 Likes

3/8, maybe larger

3 Likes

when i rack mount my extractor this yearā€¦im plumbing the whole thing with 1.5" tri clamp tubing. No lines at all.

14 Likes

there are benefits in recovering slower.

ablity to pull moisture
chilling tane better
less crap gets pulled out of you wax trap

5 Likes

So help me optimize my setup. Currently a 12x12 collection pot. Running 1/4 lines. Recovering take me hours and hours s painful. I put the recovery on dry ice already.

1 Like

how much tane are you tried to recover
what temp is your hot water bath
are you using coils and dry ice slurry gor your tank

1 Like

well that can be the beginning of your problem right thereā€¦You recovery tank needs to be submerged in coldā€¦if not the head space is where your vapor pressure will build inhibiting your recovery.

Next 1/4" is too small for a 12x12. Thats 5lbs i assume? You need bigger valves and fittings.

3 Likes

A haskel is definitely faster than a cmep. Or three. But you need a butt load of pressure to drive em. Either a massive air compressor or c02

2 Likes

No coils. Hot water about 120 fresh out the sink.

thats why i was asking, price point is the same but with haskel you ne a 1500 or 2000 compressor.

how about longevity of haskel

The entire tank is frosted to about -50 when I put the recovery tank on dry ice. Thatā€™s not enough?
Do I need bigger valves and fittings everywhere or just where recovery is concerned?
Question, does the tank need to be standing when recovering or can I have it laying on its side in the dry ice cooler?

1 Like

Standing would be best, if you are running passive recovery, connect with your liquid line. If you canā€™t get the tank fully covered. Just top off with dry ice every once in a while. But keep the bottom in a slurry as thatā€™s where you want it to be the coldest

9 Likes

Did you ever end up doing this? Ive been toying with hard plumbing my system as wellā€¦

1 Like

I really havenā€™t decided if I want to go 1.5ā€ or just run 1/2ā€ and see what the speeds are. Iā€™ve been toying with the idea of selling all my personal extractors to upgrade and do some testing but Iā€™ve been just sooo busy lately.

My business has become a bit overwhelming. Iā€™m not complaining as itā€™s a good thing when people support what Iā€™m doin. It just hasnā€™t given me anytime for testing lately nor prototyping.

Iā€™ve really considered hiring someone so I can focus on other tasks then grunt work.

13 Likes

I might go 2"ā€¦ it will get expensive with all the valves, clamps and gasketsā€¦ but it will significantly cut down on my hoses. I run racks so I have 8 hoses per lid to undoā€¦ like 5 times a day. if I could take it off all in one piece that would help a lot

3 Likes

@StoneD sous vide was a Game changer and back saver. They are so efficient and easy to use. I was surprised at how much more effective the sous vide is over switching out buckets of hot water.

6 Likes

Best addition ever!

Worth itā€™s weight in GOLDā€¦

I canā€™t imagine having to literally baby sit every second anymore, unless topping off dry ice thatā€™s it, valve here, valve thereā€¦

Maybe one day I can get jacket collection and have it all plumbed up

Badass man!

6 Likes

I think some of you are looking at this the wrong way.

Being active or passive should not dictate the recovery speed.

The active or passive decision is more about how you prefer to handle the overall system logistics than overall recovery speed.

As long as your pump and condenser (for active) or just plain condenser (for passive) are sufficiently sized and powered for the application, recovery speed will always be dictated by vapor generation in the collection pot (or tube-in-shell) more than any other factor.

I get it that some people out there think one way is better than the other and they are free to express that opinion but I donā€™t really see any logic presented besides ā€œwhy not go passive, its fasterā€ or ā€œpumps suckā€. Humans are inherently tribalistic so I completely understand why this happens and I am guilty of it sometimes myself.

If a system switches from active to passive or vice versa but keeps the collection pot and heater the same and the result is the system recovers faster that just means there was an inefficiency somewhere with the pump/condenser (active) or condenser (passive) before the switch was made.

5 Likes

you raise some good points. I think the main discussion of passive/active on here is that when passive is done right you can recover the same speed as your pump can, if not faster. There are far less moving parts to worry about failing or servicing, and a passive system can be upgraded easier than an active system (in the event you need to add additional pumps and lines for expansion). I donā€™t think the discussion is focusing too much on recovery speed, rather the fact that you can recover at the same if not better efficiency without all the additional expensive pumps.

Many of us on here are doing this on a budget, or in a commercial scenario where operational costs are very important, so we tend to seek out the cheapest most effective way possible without sacrificing any quality in the process.

3 Likes

Passive is faster than active. I havenā€™t met a pump that has can keep up with me on my system. And any system that I can change. My dude that I know can recover nearly 3lb a min passive. I havenā€™t heard or seen anything like that from a pump.

To have the driving force to keep up is insane, if wanted to spend that much money.

It absolutely is an ā€œup to the extractorā€ thing a lot of the time. Especially in the beginning years. But I have ran several pumps. Iā€™m about to use one this upcoming week. And one that Iā€™ve never used before. Iā€™ll show then that bypassing it, weā€™ll recover faster.

Itā€™s totally an opinion that pumps can keep or go faster, but itā€™s a wrong one. Science is pretty cool, it doesnā€™t care what anyone thinks. If itā€™s right itā€™s right.

11 Likes