Active Vs passive recovery speed

I trust your word! Wish I had a personal setup so I could practice more passive runs. Hope I didn’t spread too much misinformation. Just speaking from experience on the unit I used at my last employer.

I’m curious what your setup is like to allow you to recover that fast, because even with my tank in dry ice and collection pot at 80° - 90° F, I would still get slower rates, wonder what I was doing wrong.

2 Likes

I used to use pumps, I just hate em. I still have a trd in a tote from when I was running active.

If you get your tank as cold as possible, I don’t know how big your tank is, but if you can put it in a big bucket or laundry tote (round one) and make a sort of dry ice slurry with DI on top too, you can recover faster. A hot tank will create a back pressure for the pump and it won’t run as efficient. Is your collection jacketed or is it in a tub with a sous vide

7 Likes

The unit I was using was an ETS 1300 by Extraction Tek Solutions, had a jacketed collection pot and I was using a haskel refrigerant pump to recover. I would put the tank in ice water and top with dry ice, to conserve on the DI, this was a small lab. So maybe that’s where I messed up, the bucket would still get frosty as hell though. Dry ice slurry seems like a solid idea, if I ever run a CLS again I’ll have to try it out.

Assuming the slurry is DI dust x ISO or EtOH?

1 Like

i use acetone and dry ice for my “slurry”. it gets substantially colder than iso and doesnt slurry on you.

3 Likes

You’re using a haskel. You can recover faster than the normal active setup. If I could change my hoses, tank, and collection size. I could run much more impressive numbers.

1 Like

What are using in your condensing coil

https://www.amazon.com/Improved-Gourmia-Immersion-Generation-Circulator/dp/B0751L4VCR

5 Likes

We would only ever use a condensing coil for live resin runs, on injection with nitrogen push. Had the coil in dry ice x iso. Never used it for recovery while I worked there and neither did the people who taught me, hahaha. Could that be another problem?

You can go much quicker. Put the coil after the pump and slurry that and also get your tank as cold as you can. You were trying to use the tank for condensing. Use the coil, the pump will drive the liquid into the tank. Tank being much colder than boiling point, it’ll pull vacuum, helping you recover, most likely, more efficiently.

14 Likes

That makes complete sense to me! It’s odd we never utilized the coil for recoveries. Thanks for taking the time to go over this with me!

1 Like

i run 2 coils after my mole sleeve

5 Likes

How big of a CLS do u run?

small 1bl
my old subzero with a few mods

That’s crazy.

Save on recovery time. It seems like on a 5lb unit that would he the way to go.

I usually run 4x48 columns

1 Like

Debatable.

1 Like

is the haskel faster then cpem and if so is it worth it

i recover about 1lb every 5-6 mins passively. I know i can go much faster with wider lines and fittings. I know people going much faster than that.

For a good 75%, id imagine a active system is faster just because they dont understand how their system works and its just easier to run a pump, some coils, and go about the same speed.

The other 25% of the people really know how to maximize efficiency passively. They are running wider lines. Running super cold temps and even in some cases ultra low chillers capable of temps even lower than dry ice/alcohol. Pushing with Nitro or CO2 cooled. There are soo many things people are missing to run optimal.

I certainly dont run optimal. After joinng IG this year, i realized i have a ton of improvements i can make to run probably 2x a fast.

I hear the pro and con for active vs passive all the time. Until there is a cost effective, silent pump, that will work with heavy propane mixes, and without 3 phase power. Well then there will be a place for passive in this industry.

Just my opinion.

10 Likes

What size lines should be ran?