Active recoveries are taking forever all of sudden

Build a larger collection (if you can, just add a piece of spool. Upgrade your recovery line to 3/8” or 1/2”. Start recovering passively and never deal with a pump again. You could do this for less than the price of a new trs21. It will cost you more in consumables each run, but this is a trade off I am comfortable with in order to eliminate a common point of failure.

3 Likes

No, I did not, I run passive I bought a trs and then realizied pumps arent required, so it sits on the shelf
@Hansel laid out the way I do it now
get temps dialed and upgrade to 1/2in lines

3 Likes

what am i looking for to determine bad bearings? what kind of maintenance can i perform??

1 Like

If you are looking at the bearings replace them, if you dont my luck would be they go out 5 mins after turning it on. Irs always good to no how to fix your own stuff especially those pumps they need maintenance at least every 3-500 hrs

1 Like

I’ve maybe got 100 hours on it…it may have been having issues for weeks. How do you know if the bearing are out ? Cant really wait on more parts need to work. Even if I have to replace the bearing next week doesn’t seem to hard a job to take apart again

If they move there “working” if there seized up you’ll know. Do they move freely when moved. What exactly was the problem to start with?

1 Like

First pic looks like your rings on the piston are toast

1 Like

Lost pressure. Recovery was like 1 lb per 12 minutes. I’ve got new head and new pistons coming in today. Bearings are smooth. I’d really like to figure out why my pump failed so quickly

Probably the bad ring seal in the 1st pic.

Trs21. Thats why.
Literally the worst pump available (no offense)
They are cheap chinese pumps. Need i say more?
That coupled with you misusing it. Dont let this cheap little pump pull into a vacuum… Thats probably why.

1 Like

Also i want to add. If your running indoors with this pump hopefully you have an explosion proof vent fan (hopefully you have this either way) Because when these pumps give out, they leak butane out of the hole in the bottom of the crankcase into the room creating the boom risk

1 Like

Yeah I’m looking into a cmep ol

1 Like

They catch alot of hate also. But ive had good experience with the cmep ol. I run 2 at the same time now and get good recovery rates per $… At my peak i get a lb per 1 min. 10 sec. (40/40/20)

Although i think the older one is due for maintaince soon because she is getting loud. It was used and abused though for months.

Your going to save alot of $ going from a trs21 to a cmep ol. That was my deciding factor. Just so you know with the same amount in dry ice the cmep will recover twice as much. The trs runs so hot that you BLOW THROUGH dry ice. I now buy 1lb of dry ice per lb of solvent i run and im using an injection coil so that eats about 10lbs so i get a few lbs extra. So if im recovering 50lbs of solvent i get 55lbs of dry ice. That 55lbs gets me through 50lbs of injection coil cooling (slurry) and 50 lbs of receovered solvent.

It pays for itself

2 Likes

Have you ran a cmep with the radiator taken off, there alot faster, or the liquid cooled radiator add ons help alot even just running ice water along with your coils

3 Likes

I have not.
I have only heard about these things. Never seen one set up that way

1 Like

The liquid cooled ones work good but taking off the radiator removes about 75’ of tubing and restrictions. Its really easy to do

2 Likes

It def chugs through dry ice. I’ve been using multiple lbs of ice per lb of solvent. Pumps been fucked but regardless dry ice has been a serious expenditure and anything I can do to reduce that will def end up paying for its self . Thanks for that info.

1 Like

There not kidding with “hot” warming on top, if I remember right someone-checked the temp of the out stream and it was 115f. I personally hate those pumps, and prefer to use multiple cmepol’s unless eunning a pneumatic pump.

1 Like

Maintenance would be cleaning internal and out, not the motor or circuits, pistons sleeves head, the mechanical parts, run clean solvent through after cleaning,
Check your incoming and outgoing pressures ,
To me, pumps are not necessary, and can be dirty ,
I once thought I needed a pump, As I’ve learned here, I was wrong

1 Like

So, less lbs per minute, which is not the end all be all,
Dealing with excessive heat and dry ice consumption
I’lll bet, same dry ice- no pump, you could do better
There’s lots of threads on passive extraction , not every one applies, worth a look anyhow?

I run a 2lb passive, fwiw

2 Likes