Achieving the "Raw Garden taste"

Is it possible to get very good disty to taste like Raw Garden’s carts or can I even get close with CDTs? This forum’s input is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance to all the forum members for the great input.

Most legit cart makers (us on here) use distillate and terpenes only. Terpenes give you the taste and smell. Chances are if it’s a china packaging who know what’s inside of the cart.

In the past, scammers were using mineral oil, vitamins e acetate, pg, vg, peg or some other BS thinner or thickener.

I suggest reading for a week thru all the cart threads for more info.

3 Likes

Yes, buy or refine your own crc hte, ezpz

Or use cannabis terpenes in minute amounts

3 Likes

Raw garden simply has better terpenes in their cartridges too. Not all cannabis derived terps are equal imo. Some can smell weird or off if they producer hasnt captured them correctly. If you can find yourself a good supplier for high quality CO2 extracted cannabis derived terpenes then you should be able to get very close to the taste you desire.

Botanical terpenes are more irritating ime to the nasal passage ways, if you use those I wouldnt go above 5%, and for cannabis derived ime 5-8% ish is the sweet spot too.

4 Likes

They specifically one use the A grade in those carts, the B gets sold to partners

1 Like

What makes one terpene better than another?

1 Like

Might there be some sort of non terpene substance that is co extracted directly from the cannabis plant that acts as a dampening agent against those irritating high notes? Perhaps the method that we are extracting from these so called “botanicals” (cannnabis is a botanical so there must be another nomenclature that can be used right? JS it’s a bit oxymoronic) is stripping that dampening agent?

Or perhaps when we isolate terpenes and attempt to re-formulate them to mimic the specific profile of a target strain we are missing something? I mean it’s obvious that we are- but what could that be?

I feel that one should and will be able to get a very nice product that clones the “CDT” effect using non-cannabis derived terpenes- there is a missing link

6 Likes

Imo its because cannabis is most likely made up of over 100 terps maybe even 300 if we tested down to the ppb for EVERY terp possible. No formulated terpene blend can mimic the cannabis derived simply cuz we dont have all the building blocks.
Im sure small concentrations of a certain terpene help dampen the irritability of another?
Ive gotten my cannabis terps tested and it came back positive for every terp they test for except three, hardly any companies are fomulating blends with all of the commonly tested terps anyways, in guessing theres probably 20 max

I’m out of practice when it comes to detail work with scent and flavor but I miss it.

There is an incredibly detailed book on perfumery I once got about halfway through and it explains in great detail the mechanisms of the various terpenes- the volatile nature of the things means that any and these Complex mixtures are constantly interacting and causing all sorts of reactions as they are released and absorbed and perceived as they are enter our perception via sense organs- replicating seems not impossible but would mean for a fairly obsessive workload.

I know a few chefs and flavor makers who might be coaxed.

3 Likes

What they do is make sauce. Then wash the sauce. Then they use a uspd to remove the terps clean like. Then re add it. It’s how they handle the terps.

2 Likes

What’s A grade and B grade?

I got this way for a long time. Like two years doing nothing but bulk processing and distillations and post processing and I totally lost site of true hash. It’s been fun to swing that 180º again. For sure I missed it.

How are they using an SPD to remove the terps from the sauce effectively without any degradation? Just running a strong vac and low temp? Something I was also wondering about the sauce carts, how people are separating the terps out effectively at scale. Pouring off only works to an extent.

1 Like

I think they’re just mixing the terp layer of the sauce with distillate. Probably also cleaning off the diamond layer and distilling that.

5 Likes

Ding ding ding

It’s absolutely distillate. That’s why it’s labeled “refined” live resin carts

4 Likes

Its decarbed thca not distillate from what I have heard

1 Like

Unfortunately the tests don’t tell me what the unknowns are in the cannabis best derived samples I have have tested. I have many isolated terpenes at my disposal, about 25 that I use in mixes, and it can get close but I never seem to be able to replicate the exact ’hashyness’ in flavor that CDT do.

And by they are not all equal I just mean some cannabis derived terpenes I’ve tasted were god awful. Maybe that’s how the plant smelled, I choose to believe the plant did not smell like dick-underwear-cheese lol and that the terps were maybe stored wrong or old? Maybe all cannabis derived terps are created equal but by the time they get sold some get rancid from whatever unknowns are present.

I have 2 ye old Cannabis derived terps laying around that have gone from light yellow to dark amber over the course of their life. Still smell and taste great

This thread is full of a bunch of smart people talking out their ass lol.

@spdking you really think they’re using spd for terps?

@rowan not all cdt are created equal bc of the method of extraction. Cant forget about non terpene based flavors such as esters

@qma indeed ezpz

6 Likes

I will attest that sauce can be distilled effectively with an spd. Do not go above 80c.

On a side note, the best cart you’ll ever have is a fresh frozen bho crystallized run, wash the thca, decarb by itself and add back the sauce to dilute. If you haven’t tried it, it can be done on a small scale (a few grams of thca)

5 Likes

Do they say explicitly any where that NOTHING is added?