Acetone crystallization of THC-A

I added some acetone back in to see if I could get it to “crash” again. Here are the results.

Rinsed the flask with acetone and added it back, and it went clear again…

I assume I hit the saturation point. Would thc-a crash that quickly?

1 Like

how do you know you didnt filter out thca when you “winterized in acetone”

2 Likes

Is this a joke?

1 Like

ive never heard of anyone winterizing in acetone, its both polar and non polar from what i understand. I guess Ill try it one day and get some lab tests on the filtered crap since you think im joking.

heres from photon Mostly Sunny with a chance of Precipitating Sugars - #6 by Photon_noir
and also post #1 in this thread describes it in the sop. so i guess its not unorthodox

2 Likes

Like I originally posted it was just for shits and giggles. Followed the sop listed above as method 2 explains. Just thought it was strange as soon as it got to a certain concentration in the roto something fell out of solution. As soon as 10ml of acetone was added it instantly cleared up. No hard feelings, this is my first time trying this tek, seeing if anyone has an explanation is all.

It is most probably water
In your oil acetone is a good solvent to winterize
But it likes water it picks it up from the air leave standing for a while or place in freezer see if the water shows itself

3 Likes

If you check our handy dandy solvent polarity index we can see that acetone has a polarity of 5.1, which is essentially right in the middle of water and hexane. I wouldn’t say acetone completely “favors” water but it definitely has a much higher micibility and affinity for it than solvents in the “non-polar” region.

5 Likes

thanks! needed this chart for sure!

acetone is very quick for ‘winterizing’
room temp / warm crude results

5 Likes

do you have issues purging bc of water? need to throw desiccant in solution prior to purge?

just grab the goodies back with your hydrocarbon of choice after filtering.

1 Like

No problem, there’s an even better chart in my archives somewhere that is a more complete list of solvents, their polarity, their dipole moments, and boiling points. Very useful stuff. I also have an FDA solvent toxicity assessment I can share that classifies solvents based on usefulness and toxicity in pharmaceuticals as well as listing the FDA recommended PPM limits. I find that many states use the FDA recommendations for their state cannabis programs

Edit: Fun fact, acetone is in the same class of pharma solvents as Ethanol (Class 3, not to be confused with NFPA classes) and has the same recommended limit of 5000 ppm, while hexane is a class 2 with a recommended limit of, I believe, 290 ppm

7 Likes

Any luck with crystallization? My tiny test batch is sitting at room temp on day 2.

I think mr terp hole would suggest pulling the solution out of the acetone and into pentane

1 Like

I was thinking about it. I’m just going to let it go as the op suggests. Nothing riding on it so I dont care much. Mainly seeing if it works, if it does I’ll wash, purge, and keep as seeds for a normal crystal run.

2 Likes

use the unique abilities of acetone to pull bad things out.
unless your source is very clean the acetone crystals will hide for a long time.

1 Like

Makes sense aceton can be produced by the human body
Familiar in a. Disease called acetone breath
By many acetone is considered a better option for winterization. Than methanol
I don t disagree only down side is that acetone is a monitored substance by the EU

2 Likes

Very true. Even when you don’t have that illness your body produces ketones naturally.

Acetone is a monitored solvent over the pond? How strange

Well nowadays s almost all solvents are monitored in EU
But acetone is used in many illicit drug productions and coca paste refinery

1 Like

Im pressed…how do you get those cristals!?