Acetic acid cannabis extraction?

Could this work?

What do you have in mind…free advice or a consult?

1 Like

Do you mean using acetic acid as the sole solvent or maybe another solvent with acetic acid?

1 Like

You could try a liquid liquid and get the acid to freeze first. Working with acetic acid is a pita. It’s not a great choice for cannabinoids.

The more I think about this the more I want to try it. It could be such a cheap extraction method… Move over rosin. You can isolate/crystalize acetic right around 60 degrees…

3 Likes

Acetic Acid is a polar protic solvent. You know what else is a polar protic solvent? Water and Ethanol. Expect results similar to using those solvents (pulling lots of sugars and lots of chlorophyll and lots of polar undesirables.)

Acetic acid also has the property of being able to catalyze reactions with many cannabinoids. So not only would you probably extract a lot of plant compounds you don’t want, you may also generate side reactions you don’t want too.

TL;DR: probably not a great idea unless you have a specific purpose in mind.

7 Likes

Blue diamonds?

4 Likes

meh. good luck with that.

3 Likes

???
All I can say is decide whether you want to use the dimer, the monomer or the
Anionic carboxylate…and then start 4-5 years of experiments…
Report back here when you are done.

The bag of tricks for USDA certified “organic “ is admittedly small.

4 Likes

That was the nicest response I’ve gotten from you! Thanks cyclopath!

2 Likes

Seems like people are getting some nice stuff with ethanol these days, and it seems like people still debate how and why butane work ? I have no reason to believe it will come out better than bho but possibly It may be better or similar to ethanol, and a little less hazardous to work with. Also a substance that was less likely to contain hazardous contamonits than bho would be great.

I would love consultation. Do you take slave labor as payment? Or I can do cash in iou’s

2 Likes

Was thinking as a sole solvent but by judging by your comment now I feel like I should be thinking of it as a additive :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

What does it mean to isolate/cryztalize acetic? Like if make ur saturated solvent acetic u can crystalize thc at 60 degrees ?

Now that I google that acetic acid freezes at 60 degrees I’m clearly wrong but still don’t know what u mean exactly…

I’ll Google these words and report back to you :smirk:

1 Like

I’m going to take a wild guess here…you mean white vinegar?
Cheap solvent?

You have never worked with concentrated acetic acid.
You have no idea how dangerous it is for burns.?

5 Likes

Yea had no idea. Isn’t it used it food?

Didn’t mean vinegar

No… You should probably not waste any money or material on this idea :wink:

4 Likes

Acetic acid in water is called vinegar…and yes acetic acid is
GRAS diluted in food products.

I don’t think you should order a bottle of concentrated AcOH.
By the way it is not that cheap. a 5 gallon container of 20%
Is about 35 dollars.

Think about it like this…You have 50 gallons of vinegar in your lab…and you don’t want it….what will you do with it?

2 Likes

Was gonna buy a liter or pint not 50 gallons lol

44 just trying to help you out a bit.
I don’t think you should buy a liter or a pint of concentrated
Acetic acid. It is a dangerous chemical that can produce severe burns, if you ever get it in your eyes you will regret it.
The concentrated form is dimers…and readily penetrates skin…
It will produce immediate 2nd or 3rd degree burns…and due to its penetration it is almost impossible to wash off….you need to continue washing for 20 minutes of more…still you will deal with burns. That being said…you should start with vinegar…which will also burn your esophagus if you drink enough straight…even though a food product.

10 Likes