Acetic acid cannabis extraction?

You should see my forearm! Few chemical and steam burns at this point.

2 Likes

I got burnt once with concentrated AcOHā€¦
Gives you a whole new view of the word ā€œrespectā€.

8 Likes

Straight facts. To this day the worst burn I ever got was by steam. I am hairy motherfucker. I have patches on my left arm because I donā€™t grow hair anymore lol.

4 Likes

Getting acid on your skin is about as much fun as napalm.

2 Likes

I appreciate the information. Iā€™ll stick to ethanol

1 Like

Are you saying vinegar can be used as a solvent?

1 Like

You should try uric acid as your solvent

7 Likes

Thatā€™s what I use to disolve ur girlfriends makeup

8 Likes

Should have said ā€œyo mamas makeupā€ but it was still a great comeback.
However I donā€™t think it is a good idea
Anything you extract with vinegar and evaporate will be left with a gooey mess, even if itā€™s something that normally crystallized upon evaporation. Itā€™s just gross
Besides I doubt it would be possible

2 Likes

Hereā€™s one utilizing Menthol (not methanol) and acetic acid to extract cannabinoids.

Closest thing I found while searching

4 Likes

thank you.

they used an analytical trick I hadnā€™t heard used for cannabinoids: Separations | Free Full-Text | Single-Run Separation and Quantification of 14 Cannabinoids Using Capillary Electrophoresis

2 Likes

I would probably not spend too much time or resources investigating this. There is pretty much zero obvious benefit, and any number of disadvantages such as:

• cost
  • occupational hazard/general unpleasantness
  • increased infrastructure/operations (ventilation, PPE, storage)
  • needing to use SS316, PTFE, PE, other expensive high chemical compatibility materials for everything that touches acid
  • its high boiling (118C) compared to conventional extraction solvents
  • whatever chemistry occurs when you leave cannabinoids in contact with acetic acid/product stability

In general I would ask myself questions like ā€œwhat about ~insert proposed action~ provides me a better extraction?ā€ Answers to a question like this might be:

• its cheaper
  • its safer
  • its more selective
  • it improves efficiency/reduces operations

Iā€™m not saying donā€™t compare its extraction selectivity to other solvent in a concise series of experiments if youā€™re that curious, but I wouldnā€™t beat my head against this for too long considering the obvious complications using AcOH introduces.

read: AcOH better provide an insanely selective or efficient extraction to offset all the other disadvantages

8 Likes

None of the above.
Nice summary

ā€¦ lol Iā€™m not sure you want to make vinegar dabs

2 Likes

Haha why you mad bro? Donā€™t want to derail this great thread you created, just like the rest you make. Great job!

imho, try a methanol wash, make an oil, dissolve that in etoh for winterization and to possibly further lower the amount of methanol.

personally, I tried so hard to keep etoh as my main solvent and I fucking hated it the more I tried. Itā€™s literally now only used for rso, winterizing bho runs or reclaim/misc clean-ups.

final opinion, I would just keep running butane.

2 Likes

Groove once you aredissolved in methanol
It would be stupid not to winterize as well at the same time for it s the best solvent to winterize of the common solvents

2 Likes

I was just saying in case OP did decide to do MeOH and was afraid of any residual ppm.

MeOH is definitely a solvent i want to try Iā€™m just deadly afraid of working with it.

2 Likes

No fear. Some good ventilation and don t drink your extract and you ll be fine :grin:

5 Likes

I work with a ton of methanol. The low vapor pressure makes it relatively unlikely to cause you problems. Iā€™m much more afraid of hexane, and that seems like a way more common solvent round these parts.

3 Likes