A Different Approach to Chinese IP Theft

This company ABRO was getting their products bootlegged, their solution was using the Chinese government to put pressure on these companies for IP law violation.

They said if your IP isn’t essential to the growth of the CCP (spd heads vs semi conductors) your odds of getting resolution are actually pretty high.

Kind of flies in the face of the anti China rhetoric pushed by our own government, no surprise. Useful information for anyone currently dealing with these problems

21 Likes

https://www.business-humanrights.org/en/latest-news/china-83-major-brands-implicated-in-report-on-forced-labour-of-ethnic-minorities-from-xinjiang-assigned-to-factories-across-provinces-includes-company-responses/

8 Likes

I’ve never been to a communist county but I can imagine, if your whole country is on the same team, you would have an advantage over, another country where everyone competed against each other. Innovation in our melting pot is great. Competition can be a b word

2 Likes

Slavery is super wrong. I didn’t see the Uylghur posts. Genocide is bad for all business. Piss poor tactics.

2 Likes

Can you explain how any of that will help with US companies dealing with IP theft?

Communism is fucked, no doubt about it, but this thread is about how US companies have successfully dealt with Chinese IP theft (in this case, by working with Chinese authorities, who actually do enforce some foreign IP protection, contrary to the official narrative)

8 Likes

All cops arnt bad just like all chinamen arnt bad :love_you_gesture:

7 Likes

The common bad guy denominator being corrupt government…

10 Likes

Really? That’s the word choice to express you’re not being racist?

11 Likes

Aren’t all governments corrupt?
Not trying to be a smartass.

2 Likes

Understanding that which we are up against?
I like to research the competition in its entirety.

It isnt just IP theft. They are obviously using slave labor to produce the stolen IP at a lower cost than the IP owner. Im just completing the picture for you.

And i just want to point out that some of you are defending a country that is actively committing genocide while claiming to be defenders of nobility and virtue

7 Likes

You also didn’t answer his question.

And I’m defending the people suffering at the hands of the Chinese government, not China, @jval13. Just as our government doesn’t represent me in how I feel and how I would do business, many in China do not feel the same as the Chinese government.

You think our illustrious country has not participated openly in genocide?! You think they aren’t continuing to do so?! Quit kidding yourself.

10 Likes

Listen, i get it.
You’re a lab tech and you live in Oregon so you obviously understand the world far more than I do.

My initial response did answer his question. You need to know what you are dealing with before you pursue litigation and you need to understand the economic value that those practices provide.

I hate to break it to you but the equipment manufacturers that you support in china, are not owned or operated by the average person. The CCP has to sign off on everything. Those are pledged members and agents of the CCP.

I do agree, this country has participated in genocide.
What genocide are we participating in now?

4 Likes

I read a few articles about this dating back to 2004
China's Most Wanted Counterfeiter - TIME and November 22, 2004

It seems the Chinese government responded due to the blatant branding ripoff, and actually claiming to be the original brand and less so on the actual IP theft. Also they said “made in America” which put them in a spotlight.
https://www.si.com/nba/2020/04/14/michael-jordan-copyright-lawsuit-case-china

I suspect paying all your dues to publish your patent in China is the only option and even that is grim. For instance, a similar name, similar logo, virtually identical product, I think China has been clear that still flies patent there or not.

4 Likes

We all work together toward a common goal, is the only answer. How to help US companies dealing with identity theft? My best guess is to issue every american a secure smartphone. Turn off our connection with the rest of the world until we can restart the internet with proper security. Shit answer, apologies. It’s all I got right now

I’m done internetting for the day. May try again tomorrow. May not.

3 Likes

The recourse is, if a business is caught in America using what is blatant IP theft, like a SPD head or glue that is patented here but not purchased (licensed), the manufacturer can sue them.

2 Likes

Apologies again. I thought intellectual property theft was legal in america. Until you get caught. If you made enough money from someone else’s I.P. , just hire better lawyers. Or declare bankruptcy. My understanding of U.S. legal practice

3 Likes

Just so you know, there are no communist countries. Only fascist takeovers under the guise of communism. It’s still a utpoian idea that never has existed in reality yet. People keep forgetting that.

7 Likes

Thanks! It’s hard to defend communism in the U.S.

1 Like

The original podcast I posted, is about the American company ABRO, successfully shutting down a Chinese company for bootlegging their products. The bootleggers had Chinese patents and everything. But the US embassy had a team in China that works on these things, and dude said in the cast, if your product isn’t essential to the CCP, and you go work with the local authorities, you can often have these guys shut down.

They also said now ABRO has bootleggers all over the world and have a much bigger issue than when it was just one Chinese company :man_shrugging:t3:

The point of this thread is not to apologise for the busted CCP, or our own government.

Its to highlight effective actions other US companies have taken to handle IP theft in China

9 Likes