A/B Extraction and Isolation of Psilocybin

Soooooo could I put it up my nose?

Try it and find out.

2 Likes

Deemster

If its base I’d suggest not. If it’s been turned to salt then I don’t see why not

1 Like

Somebody’s gotta try it, right? Rides on the silly train don’t scare me anymore but now that I’ve said that my next ticket will probably have a quick stop in hell :alien:

1 Like

i thought that until i did dpt…

that shit can scare the piss outta me

2 Likes

Isn’t that the shit that people see spiders and corpses on?

Hard pass on dysphoric compounds.

4 Likes

nah you are thinking dph.

dpt is an analogue of dmt

1 Like

Yeah I was definitely thinking of dph.

There’s a church centered around dpt.

2 Likes

So I after few micro test with methanol and acetone, room temp, in “gc sampling” mode… without much conclusive results, I decided to give a shot to this A/B method with a larger amount. As usual, when doing a chemical experiment for the first time, I made few errors… and as usual, those published method are far from being detailed or well described. And there is quite some room for improvement.

As extraction solvent, I used citric acid 0.78 N (0.26 M in MQ water), preheated at 70°C.
In fact I intended to use 0.1 N (~pH 2.2). I did more concentrated by error… but then decided to go on.

The extracted material was 9.3 g of mushroom, powderized to dust (a cloud came out of the grinder…). It was introduced to a small flask with about 160 ml of the hot acid and a magnetic bar. I intended to do only two extractions with ~150 ml each. For first extraction, the slurry was placed in an oven at 70°c for 45 minutes, and occasionally taken out to be stirred few minutes. Then it was directly vacuum filtered (like ~20 microns filter) .

There there is a first caveat in the method. Because of the dusted material, that first filtration was taking forever (using a strong pump, Vacuubrand RZ6)… after about 1h, 2/3 of the solvent (110 ml) had came out. As time was getting late, I decided to recover the remaining slurry back in the flask, with new volume of hot acid, and leave the slurry cooling overnight. The first filtered part was put in the fridge over might. I was looking like a dark orange tea with pronounced shroom smell. Its was at pH 2.2.

The day after, I started the filtration of the second part, at room temp, trying to use a more efficient rig, and first pouring the supernatant off the settled slurry. In fact it took again forever to go through the filter. A clearer but still yellowish liquid was coming out. I read in one alternative protocol (in a forum I think) that using celite was advised to help the filtration step. I thus decided to restart the second filtration, but wit some celite. I had different kind under hand, I used that one partly calcined (pH 8).

The liquid immediately came out faster, but clearly green, after few minute the flask was green… I had read some story about oxidation of psilocin or so… could not believe this would happens has fast just because of some ceillite. At this point I decided to leave that filtration going on, and treat that second part separately from the first one. One thing here is that centrifugation would be much more convenient at this stage. Filtration of such slurry is difficult, very difficult (and just because of some minor fines that clog the filter…)

The first part that as stayed in the fridge was still looking the same orange tea, but some cloudiness had appeared, like white waxes. Given the low pH of the solution, I believed this was not THE stuff, so I filtered it out before proceeding to the pH adjustment and the ether extraction. Because of the high acid concentration I used, and because I didn’t want to increase the volume to much, I adjusted the pH with a hot NaOH saturated solution (>20M). I did that carefully with vigorous stirring and assisted by a pH metter. I raised the pH to 8.2. The solution got quite darker. At this point I slowed down the stirring, and I added ~50 ml ether. I let it exchange for 20 minutes. And then something came out of the solution, indeed, sort of assembling into the ether.

But there is a second caveat of the method, it gets pretty messy. The ether is good for taking the thing out, without mixing so much with the aqueous solution. But the thing rapidly separates, and stick to the walls. Water is efficient at moving it out of the walls, but not ether. So this separation gets quite tricky, once you start to play with the funnels etc… I guess I need training in this, but there might be some more convenient way here.

Interestingly, the thing came with some yellowish color. I regrouped the two ether parts again in the same funnel, trying how I could to not waste the thing. As advised in one protocol, and because of the concentrated acid and base I used, I washed this two time with 50 ml of pure water, with vigorous stirring this time. The water captured the yellowish color, while something sticky and transparent appeared to stay in the small emulsion at the interface with the ether. This water was still at pH 8.5… thus I did not believe the yellow was the thing. I kept this yellow water on the side, but I went for a second wash. Second wash was colorless, but still at pH above 8. I decided to not continue, and to concentrate on the filtered green solution.

Filtration was over. I decided to add few ascorbic acid to the recovered green solute (powder, 2.5g in 270 ml). The green color disappeared in few seconds, and the solution got back to its original pale yellow. I still don’t really know why… but as I was satisfied by this color change, I decided to proceed the same as with the first part, and regroups the ether with that of the first part. In fact I used the supernatant of the first part plus some new ether. In this second wash the thing appeared to be there again, but cleaner, more translucent. And in reduced quantities also.

Because it got late then, I decided to leave all that ether into the freezer. And see tomorrow what’s going on for the last crystallization steps.

But I think this method can clearly be improved. At room temperature, the thing is pretty hard to move around, mechanically speaking. It sticks.

I will let you know what thing came out.

18 Likes

I ran an extraction last week on roughly 4g of dried fungus. I started with a hot vinegar solution and mixed in powdered fungus in a beaker, let stand for about an hour, filtered through 4 coffee filters into another beaker.
Then adjusted pH with baking soda slowly until the reaction stopped, making the solution base. Then in a sep funnel I added this solution with 100ml of hexane for the pull. I did this twice giving me a 200ml hexane solution. I poured this into a Pyrex and let evaporate overnight in front of a fan.
The result was a small amount (maybe .2g) of a crude extract, it was greenish black in color, and a sticky consistency.

This is not at all a laboratory level extraction, I don’t have the proper equipment to do the extraction a better way.
I would recommend Hydrochloric acid if possible, and lye for base, buchner filter, and a rotovap.
This is just for the crude extract. I haven’t preformed the recrystallization part of the Tek posted by @Future.

This was a small test I performed just to see if I could get it done in my garage.
I read somewhere that if 2oz of fungus is used, there is a possibility that 1.5g-2g of crystalline extract can be yielded with this method

6 Likes

Neutralizing with sodium bicabonate and then with NaOH go to 8.8. psilocin have more solubility in ether than hexane and heptane and the low boiling point prevent the degrade when evaporation. I think is necessary dry the ether quickly, this water present will degerade the psilocin, and remaing after ether evaporation fisnish with an oxidation oil. With DCM can be cold crashing…but with ether now will see if can happen :slight_smile: .
when mix fresh shrooms with the acidic water this will rise the ph…so is necesary to adjust with more acid. ascorbic acid citric acid and vinegar in combination to archived ph of 3- or 4 and then heat.
Fresh pan cyan is the best for my experience for the a/b because have a very good ratio volume:actives…Some of psilocin degrade in the dry procces of the shrooms so with fresh have more yields and is much more easy to mix with the water , and the water present in the shrooms can be add to the equation.( press the material is high recomended)

4 Likes

a good read…

https://psilocybintechnology.com/magic-mushrooms-vs-cannabis-entourage-effect/

a good read…
https://psilocybintechnology.com/magic-mushrooms-vs-cannabis-entourage-effect/

3 Likes

Tried posting some pics of a cake extraction but site wouldn’t let me upload.

Took spent PF tek cakes and broke up in mason jar.
Adjusting EtOH to pH 5 (vinegar)
Hot bath soak 110° f 24hrs
Filter And adjust pH to 7 (baking soda)
Evaporate EtOH and try a half g

We tried a half g and a full g. Felt something but never lifted off. Almost like a micro dose. This is a fail for this method.

Next up is methanol and ether.

3 Likes

As I said, there is mushroom for improvements of this method. :laughing:

22 Likes

What’s the methanol and ether intended for ?

You could go to lower pH, below 4, even 3, you would get more of it. The big flawn of this method is that at soon as you concentrate the thing, it becomes more subject to prompt oxidation. The pale yellowish concentrate I had last time, the day after it was all deep blue. I did GC before and after. More than 75% was change to, I think, the dimer… then I played a bit around to see if it could be turned back to original. Seems possible, but I failed and it turned to something else…

Does anyone have experience cleaving fumaric acid and acetic acid from 4-acO-DMT? I’m curious about yields seeing as kilos from China are pretty cheap and that could be a very economical route to yield psilocin.

6 Likes

Have a connect in China ?
Think it can be done as well

2 Likes

I put it in a vac chamber trying to eliminate any oxidation. The pH definitely didn’t swing the way I intended. Plus I am using spent PF tek cakes, so what comes out must come from the mycelium-colony which might not produce the effects I’m looking for.