A/B Extraction and Isolation of Psilocybin

Anyone using cpc or flash to purify yet?

2 Likes

Do you still have a source for P.Tampanesis? I’ve been looking around and haven’t found a vendor I like yet for these spores.

How do you think hashbender got that 90%+?

4 Likes

Fucking superpowers mainly

5 Likes

Updated small rig, V2 if you will

13 Likes

My sox build is underway. With a few extra parts, it converts to solvent recovery mode. Fully jacketed boiler for gentle heating under vacuum. Whole system is sitting on top of a large mag stirrer. Good thing for the 10’ ceilings!

13 Likes

Bad ass

Here is one of my latest attempts at mushroom extracts. Currently in the vac oven, drying out.

This is an unwinterized methanol extract, ultrasonically assisted, 3 washes.

Of course, credits to those who’ve shared all the info in this thread.

The sugars definitely love to crash out in the roto, I wanted to experiment with a full spec concentrate so I ended up adding a little bit of water to solubilize the sugars so I could pour it out into a dish.

I then used gentle heat to evaporate the bulk of the water before vacuum purging until its presumably dry.

I did attempt a closed loop type unit, but being 3" columns, it packs the mushrooms pretty hard, to the point of having to push the methanol through it at 90psi from top down.

The resultant mushroom puck was as hard as a wood log. Surprised I could push solvent through it at all.

2 Likes

Did you think adding the water actually helped get more methanol out? My only concern is residual methanol in the extract

Oh, well I am currently still vacuum purging it.

I’ll purge until it’s dry, or if needed I can run it through GCFID for meoh presence.

Usually boiling points won’t raise until the lowest BP compound has left the solution, but of course azeotropes and the sugars ability to hold on to things can cause leftovers.

I can say by the time I put it in the oven at first, there was no discernable methanol smell, and the trap water also had no smell of methanol, but wasn’t pleasant as it was some kind of mushroom funk I’d prefer not to smell often.

I used a temp gun while heating on a plate and when it jumped past 80c I pulled it.

4 Likes

Seems pretty dry now!

4 Likes

I mean I eat lots of food mushrooms, lots of cultures eat insects.
Imo, it’s not the chitin.

1 Like

I read a study showing that some mushrooms create MAOIs, it could be a side effect of that causing nausea.

4 Likes

Beta-carbolines…

They are also lacking in the extracts, to which, the extracts tend to be weaker than the mushroom themselves. :person_shrugging:

The MAOIs deactivate the monoamine oxidase in your stomach, which then makes the mushroom more active.

MAOIs are required for instance with edible DMT salt. Otherwise, the mao in your stomach will destroy the actives before they get metabolized.

7 Likes

I decided to whip some up into honey, bit of a pain to get mixed right but overall it worked out well.

Some stuff seemed to precipitate back out, im assuming sugars and fats as I did not winterize or drop sugars with acetone.

The concentration was 1 gram of concentrate per 30ml of honey. The honey weighs 1.45gm per ML, which also helped me calculate the water content to be able to properly assess the amount of concentrate able to be infused without too much precipitates down line.

After 48 hours temp cycle from 5c to 28c there is no further changes.

No discernable mushroom flavor, and 1ml has threshold effects as minor tracers and mushroom yawns, but not discernable stone. Very short duration, 30min max.

7 Likes

What percentage yield with the three methanol washes?

23% return

1 Like

I just finished up my first sox extraction. When reducing in the roto at about 20c I noticed what I believe were sugars falling out of solution. I continued to reduce, as I was nearing the pour, but stopped the rotation of the ball as to decant whatever had precipitated from the solution. I assumed my actives were still in solution as they should be a low % of the crude mixture.

After decanting and purging, I yielded 13g from 4oz of fruit. Time to send concentrate, pre/post biomass out for testing.

Pic of concentrate and of bottom of roto ball. Look like sugars to yall? I can always just purge them and taste lol.

9 Likes

You can use Ehrlich and Hoffman reagents to test if something is active or not

5 Likes

I blew my HPLC autosampler syringe, new one on the way. I plan on isolating a small amount of actives from the concentrate, and at least trying to build my idea of retention times and absorbance values based on literature I’ve found on the subject.

Once I have some sort of baseline (pun intended) I’ll be running a few tests of stuff to see what’s going on, including the stuff that crashes out in the boiling flask. I’m also pretty sure it’s not active ingredients dropping out.

I never performed a defat, or desugar, and there are presumably gums as well in the mix making a few tings that could be doing it.

Based on this, there are a few options for separating psilocybin from psilocin, but no mention of norbeocystin or bestin coming along for the ride. Something else to look for in my testing I guess lol.