A/B Extraction and Isolation of Psilocybin

Is it a common one or do I need to dig into literature to find it

1 Like

I personally have had excellent results with micro-dosing daily. I think there is a growing movement for using Psilocybin medicinally. The VA is specifically looking into it. The VA is already in the early stages of opening Ketamine Clinics since they’ve come to accept Buprenorphine as the goto treatment for detox and opiate addiction. I think within 5 years the FDA will approve Psilocybin and it will be used extensively in the VA for PTSD initially. I grow B+, Alcabenzi and Golden Teacher. I pulverize them all together. For PTSD and severe clinical depression, I think they are a lifesaver, literally. I wish more Veterans had access to it.

11 Likes

I think you’re going to have to dig. There’s beaucoup solvents out there, food-grade or not. It’s either as plain as the nose on your face or it will be a wtf moment.:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I tried twice using pure methanol or pure acetone. My aim was just producing a solution to inject in the gc and see (just FID , and no standard under the hand)… I proceded as for hemp flowers (same set up, same method), following a simple extraction as i read in some instruction for forensics… I was aiming for something between 0.5 and 2 wt.% in the solid, which would be then 1-4 tiles more concentrated than my internal standard (500 mg of sample in 5ml of solvent, room temp)… I did not see much. :slightly_frowning_face:

There were several small peaks, the main one being like 10 time smaller than my internal standard.

First time I tried methanol. Second time I tried acetone on another batch. This second time I tested stems and hats separated. The hats seemed to be substantially richer in what I suspect to be THE coumpound(s).

I would ne very interested in advices too !

2 Likes

Cold extraction…simplified.

“In short, take your fresh psilocybin mushrooms, chop them up, and simply place them in a glass filled with ice cubes, then put the glass into the refrigerator to let it slowly thaw. Simply leave this for a while and you should start to see blue water as the ice cubes melt. You will be left with blue water containing extracted psilocybin from the fresh fruits. Simple yet beautiful”.

17 Likes

I saw this thread and thought ‘Looks like it’s time for a Mycology category.’ Then I saw the FUNGI subcategory. future4200 is evolving in the right direction!

So, back to the topic… one can then take this psilocin extract and go further with an acid titration to form a stable salt for better bioavailability, or even acylate it.

Dimethyltryptamine is the chemical nucleus of psilocybin mushroom alkaloids.

Psilocin is 4-hydroxy-dimethyltryptamiine
Psilocybin is 4-phosphoryl-dimethyltryptamiine
Psilacetin is 4-acetoxy-dimethyltryptamiine

And for reference:
Serotonin is 5-hydroxy-tryptamine

Psilocybin is the natural occurring Phosphoryl ester of psilocin.

Psilacetin is the synthetic acetyl ester of psilocin.

Someone left a note on my windshield at Walmart, :sunglasses: it had these instructions:

To acylate: (4-HO-DMT—>4-ACO-DMT)

Dissolve the extracted mushroom contents in pyridine, add acetic anhydride and let stir for 12-18 hrs. Quench the rxn by pouring the contents onto ice :ice_cube:

Extract with DCM and neutralize the pyridine and workup the rxn by the following series of washes:
3x (req volume) 1M HCL
3x (req volume) sat. NaCl
3x (req volume) DI water.

Recover your solvent, dissolve the crude acylated psilocin in methanol and add the required amount of acid, stir. Evaporate the Methanol and dissolve the residue in absolute ethanol. White crystals will precipitation upon recrystallization.

Recrystallize again for further purification in ethyl acetate. Translucent needle-like crystals will precipitate.

Fumaric acid is Is the acid of choice to form the most stabile iconic complex with psilocin (4-HO-DMT) and psilacetin (4-ACO-DMT).
Psilaceitin•fumarate

30 Likes

What are your thoughts on the aforementioned extraction process? Viable? Ideal?

It’s definitely viable, I’ve read about this method elsewhere. You will have better extraction results using acetic anhydride in lieu of glacial acetic acid, I know this. however I have never tried, nor has the guy who keeps leaving notes on my car at Walmart.

14 Likes

Does recrystallized quickly degrade? Is it better to store and dose in a liquid form.no?

Most chemicals should be sealed with N2 and stored in a cold dark place like a freezer.

Iunno much about dosing chemicals used for research purposes. I’d ask the computer.

2 Likes

@Bearschoice710

In literature, sonication in methanol produces the highest extraction efficiency relative to diluted acetic acid. So you could modify this tek to include extraction in methanol and then vacuum filtration of the leftover biomass at 0.22um before swinging the pH and performing the LLE.

I did the PF tek several times in college with varying results–really was my lack of knowledge on crystallization and doing shit in the freezer I had at my house with naptha, lye and vinegar. But it definitely works; 10mg crystallized = around 1g, but hits a lot quicker and more melodic.

Dimitri behaves in a similar manner relative to the above A/B, but requires a pH swing substantially higher (above 12.5 or so) before the LLE. Otherwise you pull out other interesting compounds like NMT which are interesting in their own realm.

7 Likes

A cold ethanol extraction on some finely ground material, followed by a good filtration and low temp roto vap, will yield some nice crystals. You’ll want to stop the roto when there’s a little liquid left than slowly evap the rest off to grow the crystals. Multiple crops can be obtained from the mother liquor.

9 Likes

Psilocybin Extraction Notes

BY EROWID

Dec 2004

Best solvent for extracting psilocybin, psilocin, and baeocystin is pure methanol, it does not have to be anhydrous.

Then you evaporate, dissolve in dilute acetic acid and wash with chloroform to remove any non-alkaloid organics. Then to recrystallize, basify with bicarbonate, extract with chlorofom, evaporate, subject to HPLC for analysis.

The result of this process is a freebase oil that would need to be recrystallized if crystals / solid were desirable.

Psilocybin/psilocin are not soluble in chloroform when in acidic solution because they are alkaloids and are (+) charged in acids and neutral in bases and are thus soluble in water when acidic and soluble in non-polar solvents when neutral in a basic solution.

A good recrystallization solvent for psilocybin is superheated water.

See Gartz 1994.

This is the simple process I use

11 Likes

does this not decompose the molecule?
In my experience a food dryer could overdo it if set too hot and cook he actives.

yeah i take all chemistry stuff from erowid with a lb of NaCl.
their cannabis extract information is horrid

5 Likes

aqueos etoh with a touch of acetic acid (vinegar) worked well for me

13 Likes

The active compounds are pretty heat tolerant, I’m sure some Psilocin breaks down but I haven’t noticed a loss of effectiveness.

I like to bring water to a boil inside a tiny stainless steel vessel, then I drop in the crude extract and as soon as thats dissolved I dunk the vessel into dry ice slurry to cool it down very quickly. Crystals rapidly precipitate.

8 Likes

Room temperature or hot liie 70c ?

This a/b extraction for isolatoon of psilocin is viable
I finish with a green resinoil …extreme potent. the key is the addition of ascorbic acid in the procces and do all under proper ligth and without humidity and oxigen and psilocin cristal are a fact.
The green resiud after the extraction can re x in methanol too or like the casal text cloroformheptane.
With pan cyans fresh i found is the best route for this

Alll the alcohol extract are really dirty and have a strong odor… nausea.

Psilocin has a more fast effect and potent and short…the key is the storage and the salting with the propert salt ,Have very good effects for the migranian attacks

2 Likes

There are much simpler extraction methods and solvents, they don’t yield crystals but they do yield a very pure and stable product.

5 Likes