A/B Extraction and Isolation of Psilocybin

Extracted from biomass :fire:

3 Likes

Is chromatography involved? Your method?

1 Like

This was a great read everyone. Thank you all for your input and knowledge. I’m sad that I reached the end.

I have limited access to lab equipment and solvents. Paranoid about ordering a lot of this stuff and having it delivered to my door. I have zero extraction experience, but have learned sooo much. I have googled a shit ton of acronyms lol.

Based on my research I will try the following:

Using an ultrasonic tub @43khz use methanol to do the initial extraction. Followed by 70%ethanol then acetic acid. 3 runs total.

Use a Büchner funnel to clean each run. Then use TheSource Turbo vacuum evaporator. This has a heating element that gets around 120F, hoping that will dephosphorolate the PCB.

Finally suck up the “Goo” with a syringe and inject it into gummies before they solidify. Hopefully suspending the goo inside will prevent oxidation.

I know it’s crude, but I think it’s the safest/easiest/cheapest route for a novice.

that’s a good option for 1lb at a time if you get a 6L

yes.

eh. probably better to do a meoh/etoh blend if you’re going to switch from one solvent to the next.

keep it anhydrous, also acetic acid is hard to purge, avoid this imo

90 mins each.

dump the ultrasonic into a 5gal bucket with 70um bag first.

strain, press with a wine press maybe.

no need to purposely dephosphorylate and probably wont w/o acid at that temp. dephosphorylation happens around 150c with heat alone

“Goo” Should be mostly water soluble.

7 Likes

Why not just neutralize the acetic acid?

mainly the issue of aqueous extraction of the phosphatases. and having to keep your temps low (impossible in a bath ultrasonic) to prevent dephosphorylation in presence of acid.

but, neutralize as in basifying? what are you adding that won’t be a contaminant in the end product? bc keep in mind we’re not doing lle in this scenario.

6 Likes

Yes, using a base to neutralize an acid will usually lead to the formation of a salt. The concentration of the salt formed is going to be so low and even still I cant think of why that would ruin the extract.

Might hinder further refinement, but I don’t think it’s a huge issue for what he’s doing.

1 Like

Appreciate you and Franklin chiming in with great advice and options.

If I do a meoh wash first should I follow with distilled water? Or vice versa?

Fixed that for you. Stoichiometry is a bitch.

ETA: it may be a dissolved salt, but it will always form the ions in solution.

1 Like

just do 3 washes of alcohol, if you want to use ethanol use something high proof 190-200 for the very last wash

2 Likes

I don’t think dilute acetic acid neutralizes your phosphatases. so even if you neutralize the acetic for the smell it’s not a good idea bc of the water content alone.

I’ve seen some C1D1 flammable solvent ultrasonic baths that have jacketing for cooling. This is mostly to re-condense solvent vapors/prevent odors but might be worth checking out. Also, they provide an inert atmosphere with nitrogen.

3 Likes

what size are they? with scaling after a certain point you’re better off building a stainless system.

additionally, running cold with mushrooms uses an UNGODLY amount of solvent

doesn’t a lot of alcohol processing fall under C1D2?

edit: oh jeez the small ones are expensive AF. just build something stainless for that amount…

3 Likes

https://store.tovatech.com/tovatech-sol-xp-series-explosion-proof-ultrasonic-cleaner/

Looks like this brand has a variety of sizes. Yeah we’re talking big $$$ here compared to non-industrial baths, but these probably aren’t marketed towards mushroom extractors or the DIY type🤣

1 Like

After doing more research your idea to just stick with methanol as my extraction solvent makes the most sense. How many cycles should I run?

in theory… couldn’t we vape freebase psilocin? Is it just too sensitive?

i was recently at an underground event where you can acquire just about anything… the dude slangin deemster carts, also had psilocin carts. I’m very skeptical, assuming it was probably some new age bullshit like 4-ACO … but what do ya’ll think? Has anybody ever vaporized 4-ACO-DMT?

I just harvested some p. Galindoi that was 13 months old. The substrate itself bruises blue, like every part of it has been thoroughly metabolized… I’d guess I’m leaving behind almost half the available alkaloids, the way it all bruises after harvesting the larger truffles. IDK what to do about it though. Harvesting these sclerotia is a f’n pain in the ass. Any ideas? I don’t have any good plan on how I’d extract from like 5 gallons of mycelium…
Maybe make a Water extract… boil it down… resuspended the resulting sludge in Methanol and evap?

I still don’t quite understand where these Adaptatabs originate from? or how the hell you’d acquire some… I’d assume it’s coming from a chemist working in the medical research of psilocin/psilocybin.

takes a lot of chemistry to vape it. an impractical amount. that’s all I can say.

3 Likes

Smoking mushrooms is currently a stoners’ snipe hunt…

1 Like

[updated pic below]

missing a few pieces. but the behemoth is almost operational

switching the wye for a tee so everything is centered, the vapour path is all that’s left to build.

10 Likes