70/30 or n-tane?

Which is better to make a shatter? I have 70/30 mix and get sap. So I’m assuming n-butane?

1 Like

40 40 20

6 Likes

Technically yes…

But skilled extractioneer can make shatter with most solvents…

bUT they some material that either will have to purge heat a bunch to get stable bc the terps pulled…and may not become stable bc the terps

I use to think just blasting dry ice cold was trick w N

But now I’m finding there’s a sweet spot btw diamond cold blast, and shatter cold blast, shatter slightly warmer, the tiny amounts wax and fats can be the difference in long term stable without robbing it terps and such… Otherwise it’ may sugar up on you

4 Likes

Which gas being which ratio?

Usually its stated in Butane/Isobutane/Propane

So id imagine his mix is 40% Butane, 40% Isobutane, 20% Propane.

2 Likes

I use streight n-tane, we make all products with it just fine.

12 Likes

I make all my stuff with N-Butane as well. I believe the purge temps are easier to work with during post processing with stuff made with N-Butane.

9 Likes

Not to mention lower pressures! :clamp:

8 Likes

I use mostly isobutane with a mix of Ntane in there to be more abrasive than just iso. I only use iso because it recovers extremely quick and acts like using a blend without having to. I also added the Ntane to the mix because for some reason, (my collection is too big, it’s a big fat whore) with just iso, right before I’m done recovery it gets really cold and drops fats out in the collection. Weirdest thing I’ve seen in a while. So I added Ntane and it stopped. As Ntane has a different boiling points and doesn’t cool itself as much.

4 Likes

Started with 600a currently looking at blends to see

@Soxhlet

I think it’s about time that someone that has access to enough the same material and different solvents and test
, to see if blended really pulls more terps or not…if they a weight difference in product if it N is used

What I’m going with is this…

If the terps are only located in the trich(if they not it may make sense).

But if they located only in trichs then N is solvent,it melts it also, how would it not take it if melted…

So basically 70/30 vs. N on same material ran same exact everything…

I’d love to know if any y’all real guys with access to this and test have done it or will do it for the community…

Bc if N pulls relatively the same…man this would be so easy! The needle would slam so fast!

But if I lose my wet terps no way!

I know what"they" claim… But I’m starting to wonder if "they"didn’t have rights w gas company and make way more selling blended or something

1 Like

We don’t run blends, we have some but I dont like the pressures associated with them. The essentual oils are in the tricomb along with the cannabinoids. Really the difference you see with blends is the boiling point, that can be important to preserving some of the terpenes.
Anyone else run both and want to chime in?

7 Likes

So basically…I got out all that the blended “hype” is over rated …

And changing to N I’ll notice it’s easier to run and manipulate?

Wont lose precious terps?!?

3 Likes

i started with n for about 1 to 2 yrs. notice darker colors.seemed to strip more plant matter.
i ran 7030 iso for a long time. like the fast recovery and ability to push though column faster. color was beter and seemed to be more flavorful. seemed to have a harder time forming larger dimonds wit that blend
tried one bottle of 404020. seemed ok color and flavor. super stable glass shatter. good recover time
been running iso for awhile now. seems to have good color and flavor good for sugar sauce. ok for larger dimonds. recovery time isnt bad.
tried 7030 n for the first time. color ok, great flavor. sugar dimonds form relatively fast. havent tried larger dimonds yet. good recovery times

most of this was done on strain that i am and was familiar wuth also

4 Likes

whats your average working pressures?

it depends on the tane and head room. these presures are based on -100+ temps

cant remember n
7030 iso was 60 to 100 before push
404020 not sure
iso 40 to 70
7030n 50 to 70

higher colder pressures seem to pull less undesirable matieral. preserving color and flavor.
i like to run as cold as possible as fast as possible.
no dewax column
no post processing.

im not as knowledgeable as most of you guys, and this is just my personal experiences.

7 Likes

Fast and cold no soak , only way to run imo

So u on right Rd…

Get some n2 and u can push that -78f solvent that normally wouldn’t move

4 Likes

maybe one day i might do a nitro assist

2 Likes

i run only Nbutane these days. I have tanks of both propane and isobutane here. Ive mixed just about every ratio ive found people brag about on the net. Im not a fan of the pressure the propane creates. Nbutane just makes my job that much easier. I can transfer with ice and salt if needed, but i only run with dry ice/denatured.

I can make every single concentrate pretty easily using Nbutane. I can manipulate the concentrate rather the gas to get my desired results.

5 Likes

Iso butane will give you more terps, but a slightly less cannabinoid percentage, but that’s why I include butane again to keep potency. Iso doesn’t really run that much higher pressure, just a lower boiling point. Which in turn recovers faster. It’s only 10f/-12c instead of 30f/0c but that helps a bunch. And because it’s a naturally colder solvent it grabs less undesirables

3 Likes