5L Full Bore SPD? Input Appreciated

I think the glass itself is not leaking, it could be the connections, apply some vacuum oil.

1 Like

@chimeraleaf

Usalabs

Dave is the owner.

China glass with warranty.

My china 2l spd gets down under 200 easily

2 Likes

I started using Apiezon vacuum grease recently and it’s definitely helped dramatically with the leaks.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll have to ask him.

I actually ordered 5gal of inland 19 vacuum pump oil from him that got lost in the mail and he was cool about shipping anther one out.

1 Like

You can check this company out, I have friends that are using their short path.
https://www.hydrionsciences.com/short-path-distillation

1 Like

Good luck. Let us know how it goes! Make sure you burn in the mantle. They are liable to burn out.

2 Likes

Youre buying a set, summit sold my homie all the glass with a 20 liter boiling flask for 3500, and thats with a big 55 50 head, laminar path and dual cold traps. You can get a 20 liter mantle from china for under 1000, that leaves you 2500 for pumps.You don’t need an edwards. You can get an alcatel off ebay for under 1000 thats rebuilt.

4 Likes

Thanks, this may be a silly question but how do you go about burning in a mantle?

I didn’t burn in my 2l mantle before using and wondering if it’s too late?

You don’t need a chiller, it anything you need a heater for hot condenser tech. I feel like that should be the least of your worries at this point.

6 Likes

Wow that’s a great deal for summit gear, thought they would be much more expensive.

Thank you for the help I’ll have to contact them.

2 Likes

Tell them youre on a budget, elliot will hook you up im sure. Even there old heads are better then anything chinese made

There are many on here that rock china glass with success. Some china glass is better than others.

I rock the china re-510 rotovap, and the 2l spd glass, and new style mantle.

I started a thread on this topic a few days ago.

Your homie must have a hookup with summit, after exchanging a couple emails and explaining I was on a budget and wanted the cheapest 20l glass setup they told me it wold be minimum of 8k just for the glass alone.

Just the 20l flask from them is $2400 and the SPD-4 MPD to pair with it is 6k

I am going to take your advice about the hot condensor tek and getting a rebuilt alcatel off ebay.

Those two changes alone will bring the total from lanphan down 3.5k so only 3.5k for the 20l glass and mantle.

I plan to use some of the money I saved on the alcatel, bullseye gauge, and this recirculating heater for the hot condenser tek unless lanphan offers something similar cheaper:

https://www.usalab.com/usa-lab-299-c-5l-recirculating-heater-rh-5l-18-3l-min/

Does this heater look appropriate size for a 20l system or would I need to go larger?

You can get a bigger cheaper used neslab, julabo, etc on eBay. I scored a like new rte-111 on eBay and picked it up locally for 150.00 but for 1200 I bet you could score a bigger unit

5 Likes

Buy a lanphan mantle or even a used glas col on eBay and get a jkem controller or auber instruments and a stand alone magnetic stirrer

1 Like

You can get that heater directly from lanphan for half the cost including shipping. Get your mantle at the same time and it’ll save you shipping. I know lab society charged me 1400 for my boiling flask, 1500 for my HE head and like 1500 for my cold traps, thats almost a complete spd. Id call them and see if they can make you a deal

1 Like

I think china glass and equipment is the wrong way to go, especially if you plan to use the equipment to go legit someday and the funny thing is it only takes a few runs for the system to pay for itself.

Buy once, Cry once

2 Likes

There a awesome company, tey wrapping your joints with prfe tape if they leak, if tou really dont want to but American made. Your around Humbolt arent you? If so im downsizing alot of americN quality glass i dont use or need hit me up well go to lunch

5 Likes