5L Full Bore SPD? Input Appreciated

We just brought our glass production in house so he could beat any other prices all day but not ours.

1 Like

Id love to see what tou got, do tou srill have an ig or a website i dan check out.

The problem with those isolation valves are that they are not jacketed IMO. If you’re doing the hot condenser tech it will act as a sink for the volatiles there so you’ll need some heat tape which needs a controller and such. We have a newer design that has better valving and inert gas back-fill that should be available soon. I’ve been working on it for like a yr+. It’s a fairly complicated piece so definitely been a lot of work balancing functionality and cost.

3 Likes

Yeah website is better than ever (actually got our inventory tied in completely), and I’m on IG regularly. Shoot me a DM lets get something going.

Whats your if name i just tried and nothing cane up

Ah, so you’re saying that the volatiles would end up condensing there anyway instead of overshooting to the cold trap? Wouldn’t the same issue be seen in the 3-way distributor as well?

Youre blowing your own glass now? In house?

Yep! I love to create new designs but it was hell trying to get them made quickly and at a decent price. We started our in house production to get the r&d designs and custom work done super quick.

3 Likes

Yes that is true the 3-way cow will also condense materials there. I think if it is jacketed and run at the same temp as the condenser then it should prevent that

1 Like

Or even a heat lamp like @Soxhlet mentioned before. My only concern with that would be how to accurately measure the temp. Would an infrared thermometer work on clear glass? I know the heat is actually radiating through the vacuum, so would the surface of the glass even be a good indicator?

Do you think heat tape would work on the head condenser as a replacement for a recirculating heating fluid? I found some like this Silicone heat tape that goes up to 218C. It might be harder control because would be wrapped around the outer jacket of the condenser.

1 Like

Heater plus a heat tape…yes.
heat tape alone, not so much

I was picturing the head condenser filled with high temp heating fluid then the heat tape would wrap around the condenser, maybe stick a thermometer in the barb/gl fitting to regulate. However, it might need to get way to hot in order to transfer the heat to the fluid. I guess it could be wrapped with flat fiberglass rope to help keep heat from dissipating.

I can see how it would help to use the tape on other sections of the glass during heads fractions to keep it from condensing before the receiving flask. I didn’t know that the tape would get hot enough to work for this purpose.

2 Likes

I rhink the recirculating heater would be best. Your needing that constant heat to warm the head tube so it doesnt clog. I use paper towel wrapped tin foil around the head, fiberglass rope on the BF, recirculating heater, plus a heat gun on standy in case of a clog. I run at 75c heater temp.

2 Likes

I’m custom ordering a full bore 20l spd from lanphan and wondering if this setup will work or will it be an issue to have two vacuum pumps hooked up?

Would I need to get a tee to run both sides off one pump instead?

DONT order chinese glass… it leaks. Youll replace it and have nothing but problem i promise you. I started in a system from them and replaced it within a month because i couldnt get correct vacuum

2 Likes

Yes I know Chinese glass leaks, I currently run a Chinese 2l setup and struggle to get below 300 microns on my first pass main fraction.

The reality is this is what I can afford now, can’t get a 20l full bore spd with vacuum pump and chiller for 7k anywhere else unfortunately.

I do plan on buying a nice American made spd when I can afford it but for now Chinese will do.

But back to the original question, will running two pumps be problematic? I remember reading somewhere that the pumps running against each other could possibly pull oil from the other pump and wondering how likely this is to happen.

1 Like

Lol what if i told you for 7k you can build an American glass shortpath? Sounds like you dont know where to order your parts from.

4 Likes

Wow build a 20l American made spd with vacuum pump and chiller for 7k? Wouldn’t just a 20l poly science chiller and Edwards pump be that much alone?

Are you talking about using American glass for a 20l spd with the Chinese chiller and pump for 7k?

Just the 20l glass, mantle and vacuum gauge from vacuum dynamics is $11,500.

Still would need the chiller and pump, do you have another cheaper source for 20l American made spd glass?

Edit - Even ace glass 12l glass and mantle is almost $5700