5 Strain Names on 1 COA of Concentrate (Oregon)

Howdy all, I’ve been lurking on this forum for a few months now but decided to create an account so I could post this (after searching first ofc).

Today I came across this COA for a concentrate that lists 5 separate strain names. Is this a common practice? Seems sketchy and unethical so… par for the course? Jokes aside, I’m curious if others operate in this fashion or if this is more of an outlier.

A dispensary near me has a few of these strains and they all have identical THC/CBD numbers. Hadn’t seen this before, thanks in advance.

22JA0617.01 - Rip City Dabs - LA Kush, Sour Diesel, Durban Kush, Columbian Gold, OG Chem (1)-1.pdf (116.2 KB)

1 Like

I’m assuming they just combined several small batches to make it more worth the run. For example, If you have a 5lb machine and you only have 1lb of each strain left, it’s probably more worth it to combine them all to make one regular sized run, rather than executing 5 very small runs. Could just be a small lab working thru their pre-processing inventory, can’t speak for the identical potency though, maybe the chance of hitting that average is higher with mixed batches.

7 Likes

Appreciate the response @terplord420

It seems strange to take one batch of oil (albeit comprised of multiple input materials), and say “this gram is LA Kush, this gram is Sour Diesel, this gram is Durban Kush, etc.” when it’s all the same? Am I thinking about this incorrectly? They all have the same potency because they all reference the same COA.

It’s more likely they just maintained each strain name on the COA for the sake of traceability, and then named the extracted batch of concentrate something else, likely a combination of everything that went in or a random name they thought would fit. Did you get a chance to see the finished product?

Although, from what you’re telling me it actually sounds like they sent all 5 in separately but tested them together in one COA, and used that singular COA for 5 different batches of finished product? Am I understanding you correctly?

If that’s the case it is sketchy and it just sounds like they wanted to cut costs on testing.

7 Likes

it looks like cost cutting on testing, but EW now i’m wondering if they sent all 5 in one jar

1 Like

Seems like those runs should just be labeled “salad”

6 Likes

Definitely looks like salad to me. Could also be called “Mixed Greens,” as we have labeled it in the lab. We usually send that stuff to the fuge(s) for THCa production for various other products we make for a number of different brands (both in-house and white labeled).

As a processor in Oregon, I can absolutely attest that strain blending is something that can be done in a number of ways, for a number of reasons, and we practice this regularly, though with much more intention and finesse. I cannot explain why these processors have chosen to do what they did, but I can say that multiple small batches cannot be legally tested as one unless they have been homogenized.

You can call something anything you want when it is sent out the door (legally), though, and they may have renamed the single batch as it went out the door to reflect only individual inputs, not the homogenous mixture. We generally rename our blends, but the COA for our products show both the new name as well as the strains that went into it (with the exception being that we haven’t come up with a good name before we have had it tested. In that case, we have the strains listed that compose the (homogenous) product). We also use a better testing lab. Haha.

If you’re gonna blend, at least be creative about it! We wil often have single strain batches (multiple runs) of up to 600 kilos of biomass. Too hard for the sales team to try and push 50 kilos of single strain extract in a reasonable period of time, so creative and intentional blending becomes the name of the game. Alternatively, if we have some smaller batches (less than 2 kilos), it makes sense to bolster that batch’s weight with a complimentary flavor profile to not let testing costs be passed back to the retail consumer.

Bluemosa Muffin, Apple Jack Herer, Champagne Mojito, Gary Berry, Tropicana Banana, (Wingardium) Lemimosa, and Thunderclapple Fritter are just a few of the ones we put out in the last few months. If pollen chuckers get to make up names for F1 phenos, we should get to have fun naming things too! Haha.

@brocman, welcome to the community! The COA provided is incomplete, and I would be curious to see the rest of it. Sorry you are feeling swindled by processors in the rec market here. I assure you that we conduct outselves with integerity and transperency, and not everyone is trying to lie to you just to make a quick buck. The COA has some wonky stuff going on with the classification, and it writing over itself is odd, too. Concentrates (in Oregon) are either solventless or extracted with ethanol. Extracts are produced with hydrocarbons. One does not generally mix the two, and if that is done for any reason, it is considered a combined category.

The low potency and very high percentage of D9 leads me to believe that this was either very old material that had been stored poorly and/or they somehow cooked it during incubation/purge. Which one or both it is, I cannot say. Whether they are misrepresenting their actual product(s) or not, I cannot say either. I understand completely why you are suspect of their products.

Anyway, my apologies for the long response, but I wanted to clarify some things to ensure our name isn’t dragged through the mud along with Rip City Dabs.

9 Likes

Best guess:“Salad”

There is also the obvious “lab director is clueless” spurious precision on those results.

IMG_9176

Any lab that puts 4 decimals on a cannabis potency test is run by someone unqualified for the position.

they even have the hutzpah to post the RPD showing they can’t support those as significant digits…

3 Likes

I appreciate the detailed response @Akoyeh and thank you! I’m just getting started in processing myself which is what led me to this site months ago in the first place.

I have the full COA here:

22JA0617.01 - Rip City Dabs - LA Kush, Sour Diesel, Durban Kush, Columbian Gold, OG Chem (1).pdf (1.3 MB)

Also, I went and got pics:

Exact same cannabinoid content. It’s the same shit! I feel like I’m taking crazy pills!

@cyclopath LOL I see what you mean. Unfortunately, the labs I’ve interacted with thus far in Oregon have been of similar caliber.

4 Likes

Their labels are out of compliance (grounds for recall and potential fines), and I wouldn’t buy any of their shit, personally. Good catch on noticing their bullshit!

3 Likes

I recall seeing the rules making this possible at some point. Saw no logic in it at the time.

Pushed as beneficial for the “little guy”.

1 Like

Welcome! I am glad you decided to post. Thanks for being part of the forum community. We are having a sesh in McMinnville next month and you’re invited. DM or more details. I promise we will have some fire, single-source dabs for you to try.

@brocman what does the branded package look like? I am curious about the dispensary you bought this from. I wonder what they have to say. Not in a confrontational way, but I’ll bet no one is really paying attention and it sounds like they could use a reality check. What was the price on this?

5 Likes

Welcome to the future @brocman!

5 Likes

Thanks @BigM !

And thank you @Sidco_Cat for the welcome and invitation.

I’m on the Southern Oregon Coast. I dunno if anyone has visited dispos down here but damn… it’s something else. These folks do. not. give. a. shit. lmao.

The dispensary I saw these in doesn’t care. The dispensaries around here do crazy shit – OSHA just made the rounds because one owner wasn’t letting his budtenders get water when they wanted. Another place settled out of court with at least one employee because when their budtender got shot and killed during this event they asked their other employees to mop up the blood! I’ve heard lots of stories about the backwoods small town fuckery around these parts and the cannabis industry appears to be no exception.

I don’t have the packaging for Rip City Dabs on me but the front looks like this:

RCD Front