3rd Party Lab - Cage Match - Who's Good?

The purpose of this discussion is to identify good labs we can rely on, and weed out labs that aren’t providing reliable results. Also identifying what to look for - HPLC? UHPLC PDA MS? What instruments should we look for in our lab for what type of test (eg distillate? plant matter? edible?)

This week I got three test based on the same distillate. Test 1&2 were cut with 50% MCT oil. After Test 1 seems cra-cra I called lab suggested there was error and asked for redo. I also sent a sample to a second lab. Note the ratio of D8/D9 should be comparable between lab 1 and lab 2. Nupe. Lab 1 5.5:1 ration, lab 2 1.8:1 ration. Way the f off? Also - Note 2.16% CBNa in test one and two are the same. How could this be the same when d9 went from 0-8% and d8 went from 9-44%?

These labs need to get their act together, this is irritating af.

Test ONE (HPLC):

D8: 9.07%
D9: .01%
CBNA 2.16%

Test TWO (same lab, HPLC)

D8: 44.78%
D9: 8.06%
CBNA 2.16% (again, wahuh?)
D8:D9 Ratio 5.55:1

Test THREE (different lab material not cut with mct; prelim results)

D8: (/2 = 27.155%)
D9: (/2 = 14.91%)
D8:D9 Ratio 1.82:1

TEST ONE
Test 1 dmh

TEST TWO
Test 2 dmh

Lab names were removed to protect the not so innocent, but I hate to bern a biz.

4 Likes

I’ve always had great results with SC labs, and they can comprehensively explain why other labs fucked off my tests on more difficult products.

I think some labs just make an educated guess and write down a number

3 Likes

Take your primary analytics in house.

You’ve got mandatory state testing. You only make money if you pass. Why wouldn’t you study first…know the answer going in the door…

If you mixed homogeneous d8/d9 distillate into MCT, and failed to homogenize, then you would at least expect the ratio of test one and two to be the same,

4 Likes

Its all a lie :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

3 Likes

@cyclopath, I’ve followed your in house analytics thread. And just re-read again b4 answering. I could (cough) buy a unit, then learn how to run it, but presently only know how to plug it in and I’m pretty sure i’d do that wrong. Plus I’d probably buy the wrong rig and not know it for 6 months. Do you have a retard proof recommendation for in house instrument? I need to identify 5-10mg/gr of the primary cannabinoids in acidic and decarb form, in concentrates, reliably.

Retard learning curve + rig cost + limited sensitivity and specificity = :scream: :confounded: :face_vomiting:

vs send test to lab, get result. Which obviously, is not working so great at the moment.

You seem (?) to like SRI machine? Is that still true, and do you think it will accurately test 1-10mg/gr of cannabinoid concentrates in mct

2 Likes

@cyclopath was the one who trained me on the SRI machine you have seen him reference many times. I had no prior experience doing lab analytics. I was running the machine on my own within an hour and within a few days was able to begin troubleshooting a particularly finicky machine (most don’t misbehave like the one we have been using).

I bet that a few minutes on the phone with @SummerSRI or @srihugh1 and you could feel comfortable enough to run one of their machines. I’m a firm believer in their ease of use and accuracy of results.

2 Likes

I used to be QC manager at a testing lab. I can set anyone up with great procedures for HPLC potency testing and other forms of testing. I do not care much for SRI. They are limited in function and prone to breakage.

My favorite lab to use in Oregon was Pixis. Then green leaf and RCL.

4 Likes

Thank you for that. The test 1&2 are from Praxis-labs in WA. I should have Used Pixis. I think @seth also mentioned liking them (Pixis) some time ago.

What equipment would you recommend for in house, retard resistant (not proof), (on a budget) analytics?

1 Like

That’s an impressive endorsement. If I could get the sensitivity to the 1-10mg/gr level reliably, I think we’d have to do exactly as you did.

1 Like

Great experiences through Green Leaf (can do all tests and turn around was fast) and Rose City Labs (They drive to us, have very fast reporting).

2 Likes

GCs don’t handle MCT oil very well, they tend to gum up for a run after. I’d go with an hplc if I were testing a lot of tinctures and topicals.

Maybe SC labs has stepped it up in Oregon, but last year their Santa Cruz lab was absurdly bad.

1 Like

What did you pay for the machine and how are consumables (cost and shelf life?)

Do you think you can get 1-10mg/gr sensitivity in a repeatable process?

Nice. What instrument would you recommend that’s affordable, won’t require high maintenance, and can reliably detect 1-10mg/gr in mct? I can certainly hunt something down used, although the saying don’t know what you don’t know makes this tough for a noob, because I wouldn’t know how to identify what’s functioning, missing or broken.

I honestly do not remember what was paid for that machine, but I can say it was likely less than anything to be found now. It was a used unit off Ebay purchased before @cyclopath announced to the world that used GCs could be purchased for pennies on the dollar. People seem to have become more aware of the value and prices have gone up over the last few years. @cyclopath probably remembers more of pertinent the details.

Yes, the SRI machines can easily read accurately at the concentrations you are testing, but I also agree with @MagisterChemist in that you can get more from HPLC. The biggest difference for you will be: do I need the additional features and abilities of HPLC and is the price right? HPLC definitely costs more, but you also have more features… we worked for many years using only that GC, and I have no complaints. Well, none that need to be aired here, at least. Haha

2 Likes

2 River Labs tests for more cannabinoids than I’ve seen anywhere else. 17 total. And they offer expediting for potency tests with 24-36 hour turnaround. Plus they are great people to work with.

1 Like

@MagisterChemist @cyclopath

Here, for example is… ? Something something HPLC. With a plug… That’s in my budget. Anyone know if this were operational - would it be worth buying ?

Waters Alliance HPLC System, consisting of: 2695 separations module, p/n 186269506, s/n K13SM4674A, with 289000560 sample heating/cooling, 186186301 column heater; 2998 photodiode array (PDA) detector, p/n 186299800, s/n E13998778A; LAC/E32 acquisition server. Unit powers up. 28in x 22in x 32in H. [Rm37]

I could always bid on it then see if alex would run it?

1 Like

If it were operational, it would certainly be worth buying. I’ve never used a waters, but they are a reputable quality company. Most of my experience is on Shimadzu instruments and I like those a lot. My friends who have Agilents seem to have more problems with theirs than I did.

Both SRI and HPLC should be able to meet that potency threshold very easily. My objection to SRIs is really just that I haven’t had the experience of them being robust like everyone here says. I’ve worked with two SRIs and they both had multiple catastrophic breakages over the course of me using them. My HPLC never screwed up so badly, even though it was 10 years old. I believe @cyclopath’s went through months of not functioning. The most i’ve ever messed up on HPLC is plugging a column.

3 Likes

it only went through months of non-functional because I wasn’t working there, and they couldn’t pay me to get it working :wink:

solution was solvent washing the column. which I did to get it working for my own nefarious purposes. root cause was probably injecting sugar (gummies)…but MCT will also contaminate the column (eventually).

the sample prep for HPLC on MCT involves removing it.

@anon6488101 and @Rowan can probably speak to how much fun the plumbing on an HPLC can be if the operator isn’t meticulous.

…and I’d absolutely take an HPLC in addition to an SRI GC.

3 Likes

Just don’t work in a cursed facility with cursed “humans“ and everything seems to be A-OK :ok_hand:

3 Likes

I suspect the praxis lab fails involved lazy sample prep if MCT needed to be removed. thx – thats good information