3rd Party Lab - Cage Match - Who's Good?

The first sign of bad sample prep will be their column getting completely plugged – so I think they’d probably figure that out if they’d done it more than once cause it’s an expensive mistake to keep making.

2 Likes

another upvote for Pixis, they are a very reputable lab that is more consistent than any other lab we have used.

they are not as quick on turn around but i feel 10x more confident that our in house results will be similar to theirs.

2 Likes

we prefer to use ProVerde Labs and SC Labs. Both are amazing and provide phenomenal customer service. If we ever need a test redone or explanations on results the lab managers are more than willing to help us out.

@anon1342 I highly recommend the Shimadzu Hemp/Cannabis Analyzer unit. Onsite installation and 2 full days of training for under $50k. They make sure you are running samples by the end of the training. We even talked our way into getting a full day of training at Shimadzu’s facility for a thorough software training to enhance our analysis skills. After 6 months of ownership they came back to our lab and did some updated training on methods that they have developed for their 16-panel cannabinoid test.

5 Likes

We’re testing 18 cannabinoids with quick turnaround times - usually 1 or 2 days. I have yet to see another lab’s chromatogram show better baseline resolution. We also include internal standards on all of our tests, so we ensure quality results before we ever send them out to our clients. Get in touch with me and mention Future4200 and I’ll give 20% off our list price.

2 Likes

It has been a few years since I’ve used them but when I did, Pixis was the shit. At the time, we suspected that another lab was fudging numbers to pass all of our samples in order to keep us as happy, paying customers. We never used pesticides but ended up buying some, dosed a finishing plant, sent 3 samples to Pixis and 3 to the other lab. The poop lab passed all 3 samples, the pesti didn’t show up, and the cannabinoid ratios were not consistent. Pixis failed all 3 samples for that specific pesticide and all 3 tested very close to the same level as well. Even the cannabinoid ratios were very similar. We ended up switching to Pixis for all of our testing :wink:

2 Likes

Get in touch with Shimadzu as @Ruderalis710 said. They have a guy up in Logan that was great. I called him for some help once not knowing he was on vacation with his wife but he insisted on helping me.

Thank you! The Shimadzu Hemp/Cannabis Analyzer unit sounds great, it’s the (gulp) $50k that makes me pause. Love that Pixis story, sounds like they’re a solid operation!

I found 4 Waters HPLC at auction as well as some agilent equipment. The Waters rep was kind enough to identify the best 2 unit for cannabinoids, ($2-6k) then mentioned the requisite software license was $14k. Wow. I had no idea…

1 Like

Yeah, they really hit you buying used with their after sale service. It works best when you can run a few off one computer. Obviously that’s not an approach useful for in house analytics.

SO this isn’t just Waters, it’s an industry thing? Damn. That’s Spensive.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s typical, for aftermarket. When you buy a new one that 50k includes the license though.

1 Like

Minnesota has shit options for 3rd party testing, so i’ve been sending my samples out to ProVerde and have been very happy with them so far.

1 Like

Here is a set of chromatograms showing both MCT oils and Olive Oil using the SRI GC.

Notice the temperature of the column was programmed to 350C.
MCT oils are more volatile than olive oil and work OK with either the heated or on-column injector.
The olive oil is too high boiling for the heated injector 200C but works great on the on-column injector.
Hugh Goldsmith
SRI

1 Like

There are a few small peaks in MCT oil that could possibly interfere with the cannabinoid peaks.
Its helpful to measure the MCT oil first before adding the cannabinoids, so you can work around the interferences.
Hugh Goldsmith
SRI

1 Like

In the interest of improving our product, can you tell what broke.
We try for “bulletproof”
Hugh Goldsmith
SRI

Hellooooo baseline risee

1 Like

You must not be paying for the ultra premium test results with higher TAC

That’s universal to all GCs running high temperature methods. The cause is column bleed

1 Like

Ohh interesting I never knew! I’ve really only messed with a hplc. Thanks for the intel